Identifying targets- Rift S vs G2

baylor703

I'm considering upgrading from a Rift S to a G2. Has anyone else made this jump? The primary reason is for identifying targets. With the Rift S, it feels very difficult to CAP in multiplayer, not because spotting is bad (it's actually really good imo- I fly warbirds), but because identifying targets is so dang difficult. I often can't tell what a plane is until I am well within firing range. Even recognizing invasion stripes is tough in the Rift S. Can anyone who has made this upgrade comment? Does identifying become a bit easier with the G2? 

Edited by baylor703

i made the jump about 1 month ago because my Rift S just died after two years, and i can tell you OMG the difference is night and day.

First off the colors are omg insane. I mean i can bright colors now. And i can read everything in the cockpit. Even in the new A 10 C II that i couldn't before.

performance wise its a little more beefer but i was able to get mine dialed in so that i get 14-16 Frames per millisecond which allows me to stay capped at 45 FPS

with motion reprojection for smoothness with no issues.

all of this is with 

I7-10700

Nvidea RTX 2070

Nvme drive

32 Gigs of ram

Oh and the biggest difference from the Rift S, is that there is no longer any Screen door effect at all.

only downside i have ran into is, the sweet spot is fairly small. i find myself having to look down more often to see very clear. where as with the Rift S you 

could just move your eyes. But i hear if you mod the Face insert this opens the sweet spot a lot. I just haven't done it yet.

My personal opinion on it is make the change.

2 hours ago, fab.13 said:

Hello,

Do you use the zoom toggle ?

Yes, even at the highest zoom it can be tough imo. Unless the angle is right, identifying shapes and outlines you could easily spot on a monitor are tough. A big part is the colors as well. For whatever reason, maybe a lack of contrast?

1 hour ago, Sirbum said:

i made the jump about 1 month ago because my Rift S just died after two years, and i can tell you OMG the difference is night and day.

First off the colors are omg insane. I mean i can bright colors now. And i can read everything in the cockpit. Even in the new A 10 C II that i couldn't before.

performance wise its a little more beefer but i was able to get mine dialed in so that i get 14-16 Frames per millisecond which allows me to stay capped at 45 FPS

with motion reprojection for smoothness with no issues.

all of this is with 

I7-10700

Nvidea RTX 2070

Nvme drive

32 Gigs of ram

Oh and the biggest difference from the Rift S, is that there is no longer any Screen door effect at all.

only downside i have ran into is, the sweet spot is fairly small. i find myself having to look down more often to see very clear. where as with the Rift S you 

could just move your eyes. But i hear if you mod the Face insert this opens the sweet spot a lot. I just haven't done it yet.

My personal opinion on it is make the change.

I appreciate the input. I've heard about the sweet spot, but can live with it. I had an original rift and it had a poor sweetspot as well compared to the Rift S. 

I'm mostly a mud mover, but I'm in the same boat.

I'm happy with the Rift S as far as the immersion factor is concerned. Don't think I could ever go back to using a monitor, but I sure could do without the screen door effect and I'd like a little better clarity.

I'm also thinking about making the jump to the G2. If you make the jump, let us know how you like it compared to the Rift S.

10 hours ago, VirusAM said:

What about the performances?

Too be honest i almost think i get better performance with the G2 now then i did with my Rift S. with my Rift S i was struggling to keep 25-30 FPS normally. and at the time i didnt know anything about Frames per millisecond. i do know that my Rift S was always in the negative for Headroom.

now i switch to the G2 with the exact same rig, and as i mentioned above i am getting 45 constant, and smooth with better graphics. I think this is due to the clarity? over the Rift S and 

there being no screen door effect. Also i think the G2 is brighter then the Rift S.

I think upgrading to the G2 will be worth it. In the meantime, I've found this:

https://github.com/fholger/reshade/releases/tag/openvr_alpha2

If you place the contents in the bin folder, and run via SteamVR (required), the difference is dramatic. Particularly with colors. Identification isn't perfect, but it's much easier. The end key toggles the effect on/off, and the home key allows you to make changes on the fly. I find a 2.0 gamma works well with the rift, with the reshade. Definitely not a placebo effect. I can identify planes much further out.

I haven't played with the sharpness too much yet- but 1.3 seems to be good for now.

Edited by baylor703