Poor performance on 1080p triples. RTX 3080 Ti

SchumiF399

On 11/20/2021 at 2:38 AM, xoxen said:

Any news about your new CPU?

I just got done building the new PC (12900KF, 3080ti, 32GB of RAM).

The VERDICT: complete waste of money for DCS. It is crazy to me how little performance was affected. Same test we been running with the King of the Hill mission and maybe 4-5 frames increase. I hate to sound sour and negative but after $3000+ dollars this game can't run right. As before all my racing games have had a noticeable difference especially when more cars are on the racetrack. I had a feeling this might happen based on your other thread, but still I can't say I'm not bummed about it.  This new system hardly performs better than my old 8700k and 1080ti combo in DCS. 😭

Edited by SchumiF399
  • Thanks 3

These are sad news. I exactly know what you must feel like. I did an upgrade of the CPU first and saw even 1 FPS less than before. I guess the combination of MSAA 4x, SSLR on and SSAO on sucks up all the performance in your system as I saw a much higher benefit from the 1080Ti to the 3080. Were you able to have a more stable FPS?

Edit: Are your RAM settings already maxed out?

Edited by xoxen
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Thank you for those kind words Xoxen. The ram has XMP enabled (3600mhz). Framerate is more stable i no longer have those dips like in the videos when I move my head to look around.  Alas now I know definitively it was never my old PC that was underpowered , it is DCS.   

• Like 1

Can you please tell me how much FPS you have now in the King of the hill mission. With my hardware it is 40 FPS with all settings identical to yours. So I would expect a plus of 10% because of the Ti you have. With that information you can see if you are at least where you should be with your hardware in DCS.

What I wonder is the fact that when switching from the RX 6800 XT to the RTX 3080 I already had 6 FPS more with your settings. I know that between the GTX 1080Ti and the RX 6800 XT there was about 10% difference. I only can assume that the gain in FPS should be around 12-15 FPS switching from the 1080Ti to the 3080Ti at your settings. Can you confirm this?

All my testing I did for you were already with a up to date CPU, so the gain of 4-5 FPS by simply switching to a new CPU isn´t that bad from my point of view. I guess you know this already but this video is very helpful in regards of optimizing the settings as it shows the impact of each setting and the visual benefit.

Attached file is what I wrote down as a conclusion for me. I guess you can get much more out of your machine by fiddling around with the settings. I bet if you use my settings for comparison reason your new Computer will show its strength. The mentioned settings (MSAA, SSAA etc.) are known to be hardware killers.

DCS 2.7 Settings.txt

Edited by xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

On 11/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, xoxen said:

Can you please tell me how much FPS you have now in the King of the hill mission. With my hardware it is 40 FPS with all settings identical to yours. So I would expect a plus of 10% because of the Ti you have. With that information you can see if you are at least where you should be with your hardware in DCS.

What I wonder is the fact that when switching from the RX 6800 XT to the RTX 3080 I already had 6 FPS more with your settings. I know that between the GTX 1080Ti and the RX 6800 XT there was about 10% difference. I only can assume that the gain in FPS should be around 12-15 FPS switching from the 1080Ti to the 3080Ti at your settings. Can you confirm this?

All my testing I did for you were already with a up to date CPU, so the gain of 4-5 FPS by simply switching to a new CPU isn´t that bad from my point of view. I guess you know this already but this video is very helpful in regards of optimizing the settings as it shows the impact of each setting and the visual benefit.

Attached file is what I wrote down as a conclusion for me. I guess you can get much more out of your machine by fiddling around with the settings. I bet if you use my settings for comparison reason your new Computer will show its strength. The mentioned settings (MSAA, SSAA etc.) are known to be hardware killers.

DCS 2.7 Settings.txt 578 B · 6 downloads

Hey Xoxen, 

Sorry for the very late reply. I have been dealing with file recovery issues. Somehow I nuked my 2TB HDD and I been working on retrieving my files. Here is a screenshot of the more optimized settings based on the video you posted. Not quite 60 fps but a tad bit better. I think I am going to take a break from DCS all together and come back after the multi thread/Vulkan enhancements. Thank you for continued support.

F-16.jpg

Hi Schumi,

one last approach which came back to my mind. I had issues with FPS years ago. Finally it was something in my Exports which caused this behavior. After renaming the Export folder in the DCS folder (in the Saved Games folder on drive C:) the FPS were much higher as I already expected something to reduce the FPS, even though the GPU was at 99% utilization. At least worth to have a look at.

Generally I´m that much addicted to DCS that I would never take it into consideration to pause flying it. For me 50 FPS would be reasonably OK. But this is my personal preference. It was great to chat with you as I´m always happy to help and hardware/FPS topics are my favourite ones 😉

Take care,

Xoxen

I will try it tonight, I did however clean install windows 10 and 11 just to see if I would get better performance on the latter. I ended up going back to windows 10(clean install), so this folder should be fresh. This suggestion is definitely worth it though.

It has been a pleasure interacting with you as well. The help and knowledge you provided me has been extremely helpful. 

Thank you 

Hey Xoxen, I renamed the folder and it looks like FPS was unchanged. It was worth a shot though. I played for about 2 hrs after using the more streamlined settings and the experience was far better. As I previously noted, in the past turning the settings didn’t have much of an effect but with this new setup, i am seeing FPS improvements. Especially when I turn down the clouds to Standard. 

Hi Schumi,

at least you were able to get some better FPS, hope this will have an effect on your decision in making a break from DCS 😉 We need every pilot we can get 🛫

For me the difference between 45 FPS I got with the GTX 1080Ti and the >60 FPS I actually have is really noticeable. It feels much more fluent and I was even able to raise some settings (shadows).

So I hope I was able to bring a little bit joy back in terms of DCS.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will help. I noticed a lot of games underperforming on alder lake. Especially on windows 10. HWMonitor showed the ecores maxed at 100% and the pcores sitting are 50-60. I used the program process lasso to keep the games off the e cores helped a ton. It's "free" although annoying at startup if you don't buy a license. 

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

• 1 year later...

Seeing you all working together made me believe in humanity again.

Yes, it's an old thread, and we already have multithreading, but I learned a lot from you and I must apply a lot of what I learned here on my pc (and I'm waiting for my third monitor to arrive tomorrow).

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

Great to hear that it helps, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. Much fun with your setup.