Some basics missing from asset pack

Gunfreak

Took my first dive into mission editor for ground units for ww2.

No infantry MGs, just riflemen.

No AT guns like PAKs or 6pdr etc.

No infantry headquarters for platoon or company. 

• Like 8

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

+1 for MG's, AT guns...

There are so many things that could be added to the WWII Assets pack, but regarding AT guns, I wonder if it has anything to do with being able to animate the soldiers that would be using them.

I am hoping that if/when the infantry receive the refinements that will allow them to crouch/prone that they will also be animated to use AT guns. It seems really odd that AT guns are completely missing from the current pack that there must be a reason other than it being just an oversight. But I agree, we could really use AT guns:worthy:

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

+1 for MG's, AT guns...

There are so many things that could be added to the WWII Assets pack, but regarding AT guns, I wonder if it has anything to do with being able to animate the soldiers that would be using them.

I am hoping that if/when the infantry receive the refinements that will allow them to crouch/prone that they will also be animated to use AT guns. It seems really odd that AT guns are completely missing from the current pack that there must be a reason other than it being just an oversight. But I agree, we could really use AT guns:worthy:

Well AA gunners aren't animated either, yes they move the gun, but no loading animation.
The lack of AT guns is strange, as dug in AT guns would be a very typical thing for airsuport to be called in on, as those bastards are hard to dig out. Low profile, hard to spot for tanks ect.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

16 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Well AA gunners aren't animated either, yes they move the gun, but no loading animation.
The lack of AT guns is strange, as dug in AT guns would be a very typical thing for airsuport to be called in on, as those bastards are hard to dig out. Low profile, hard to spot for tanks ect.

I think the AAA in game are stationary if I remember correctly, where as any AT gun they might want to include would by its nature be more moveable. But I agree, the little bit of movement modeled for the AAA would also have to be done for the AT gun, which is likely not done yet. Hopefully we will see it in an update soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, Gunfreak said:

I'd like to add the following to this list

Bazookas, rifle grenades - come to think grenades in general would be nice.

• Like 2

My personal wishlist:

• Towed artillery (excl. AAA, though we could still do with a US 90mm M1/M2 and/or 120mm M1) and anti-tank guns (7.5 cm PaK 40 (EDIT: this is now in), 3" M5, QF 17-pdr).
  • Different infantry units and personnel
  • Naval units (so far the only surface combatant is the S-100 class MTB)

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Don't forget Different infantry units and personnel... that can do more than stand and walk/run.

And yeah, whats up with the non-existent WWII navy stuff? As a fast track, it would be nice to see ED work some out with one of the mods with WWII ships to have them added to DCS World.

• Like 1

While i have really been getting my money's worth from Combined Arms/WWII Assets pack lately, we are also really disparately in need of the simple things needed to build fortifications/bases, troop/gun emplacements... and what is taking so long for the Anti-Tank guns? Thanks ED, I get the amount of work your working under:thumbup:  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, Gunfreak said:

LOL.....If there were a module that I wish I'd never purchased, It would be the WWII assets pack.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Zimmerdylan said:

LOL.....If there were a module that I wish I'd never purchased, It would be the WWII assets pack.

I used it a lot when playing the WW2 DLC Campaigns, and also used it on the few WW2 missions that I've edited, so I don't regret the purchase.

I wish that it contained more items, but I realize the cost behind every model and so will not complain about it. Here is a catalog that I compiled to ease the selection of items while editing a mission:

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I get how a lot of people are fed up with the frustration of waiting for their desired fix to come, I really do. But in all fairness, We have seen some pretty big changes since I joined in 2019, and that includes the assets pack, CA, and the ME. I know I'm not feeling the same level of frustration having only been here for a couple of years, and make no claims to know the whats and whys of everything that happens, but the one thing I am pretty certain of is that coding something like DCS World is pretty high maintenance.

On the up side, the WWII assets pack is still in early release so there is still room for improvement. I am looking forward to see what happens over the next 12 to 18 months🤞  

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:08 PM, Callsign112 said:

I get how a lot of people are fed up with the frustration of waiting for their desired fix to come, I really do. But in all fairness, We have seen some pretty big changes since I joined in 2019, and that includes the assets pack, CA, and the ME. I know I'm not feeling the same level of frustration having only been here for a couple of years, and make no claims to know the whats and whys of everything that happens, but the one thing I am pretty certain of is that coding something like DCS World is pretty high maintenance.

On the up side, the WWII assets pack is still in early release so there is still room for improvement. I am looking forward to see what happens over the next 12 to 18 months🤞  

2019???? I have had some of these modules for up to 6-8 years and still they are not complete. Assets pack is one of them. Coming up on 5 years now and It's not even close to where they promised, and I don't hold out much hope based on the current track record. Not to mention that many of the vehicles are not working properly. The Tiger tank cannot be killed by the A10's cannon??? I posted a video on it several years ago and it never got addressed. Along with countless other ridiculous failures on ED's part.  

Much as I understand your enthusiasm, years after my purchase I still do not have a working product in many cases, yet I'm seeing the creator of said product out there asking for more money for more incomplete stuff..........Well.....You do the math. And just think of the many many many many others here who have had to deal with this mess. ED seems to love shooting themselves in the foot. I have been with DCS from day one. 20 years or so. At one point I bought every module out of trying to be supportive. But they get nothing more out of me. Not now....Not ever. I have left for a year at a time, swearing off DCS because of these issues. I made them aware of all of this. When I came back to give them another chance, gave 'em some $$ and bought some new modules in good faith. same old problems, issues not addressed, incomplete modules. So now, I have the modules I have. I will play with them, enjoy them, but I don't care to give any more money to a company that has been neglecting it's base for so long. The customer, seller relationship is completely and hopelessly broken for me.  I don't like having to make these types of posts (makes me feel like an a$$) but it would seem that ED doesn't really care about ongoing, incomplete projects, only generating income through more incomplete projects. If they can create a whole F-18, Mosquito, Mi-24, and other advanced AC with all of their complexities and computer systems. They can easily turn out working AI aircraft, and vehicles for the Assets pack. It's shameful.

Other recent events in simming have reduced my time in DCS down to probably a few hours a month. Mostly because of the frustration factor with DCS. ED had better think about that. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has decided to go this rout. 

Edited by Zimmerdylan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zimmerdylan said:

Coming up on 5 years now and It's not even close to where they promised

Just out of curiosity, what was promised? . I can't find a thread with that promise, I only have what is on the pack description:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/wwii_assets_pack/

The list price of the WW2 assets pack is pretty steep, but I purchased mine during a sale and on a bundle with the Normandy map, so its actual cost was much lower.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

They removed the list from the shop page but is is around here somewhere in this forum posted by Nineline and then updated.  Most of the missing assets are AI aircraft, the C-47, Lancaster, B-24, B-25, B-26, Bf-109G-6, Typhoon 1b, etc. To be fair they have also added additional assets that were desperately needed and not part of the original list such as the QF 3.7 AA gun.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 6:10 AM, Northstar98 said:

My personal wishlist:

• Towed artillery (excl. AAA, though we could still do with a US 90mm M1/M2 and/or 120mm M1) and anti-tank guns (7.5 cm PaK 40, 3" M5, QF 17-pdr).
  • Different infantry units and personnel
  • Naval units (so far the only surface combatant is the S-100 class MTB)

Big agreement on that especially the Naval units. I figure Eagle needs to start with some old battleships , destroyers and cruisers so we can have naval gunfire support in Normandy then do some carriers and fast battleships for the Marianas. Even though the Bismarks were reefs in the period our WWII maps cover I'd like them as I would love to have a show down between the Iowas vs the Yamatos and Bismarks also I'd like some East front assets both early war for the I-16 and some late war so we can have an early cold war battle with the MiG-15, F-865 and F-51

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

@Walshtimothy I agree with you that these need updating. In the past, i commented that updating the asset packs shows consistency and brings enjoyment to virtual pilots. Yet, ED is more focused on the full-fidelty modules and paid maps because they make money from them. I know ED is working on a dynamic campaign, but not clear if this addresses asset packs.

Mike Force Team

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Force Team said:

@Walshtimothy I agree with you that these need updating. In the past, i commented that updating the asset packs shows consistency and brings enjoyment to virtual pilots. Yet, ED is more focused on the full-fidelty modules and paid maps because they make money from them. I know ED is working on a dynamic campaign, but not clear if this addresses asset packs.

Mike Force Team

yeah , its slow progress is infuriating 😕

• Like 1

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/

Releasing a trickle of WW2 AI every quarter should be a trend to keep the project alive. Disturbing seeing so little over the last several years. Hopefully, some additions are just around the corner.

Edited by Hallsy
  • Like 1

I have definitely gotten my use out of them. Some more air assets to add variety, especially Axis support aircraft would add some nice diversity. Hell, a Uboat that could dive would make for some fun mission possibilities.