Mustang vs

Gunfreak

So what techniques do you use against the 3 Axis fighters.

The mustang seems to out turn and is equal in climb to the A-8?

But what about the Dora?

And the 109k is superior in all aspects when it comes to flight?

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

50 minutes ago, razo+r said:

109 sucks at high speed maneuvering, you can use that (given you have enough energy at disposal) to your advantage when he is behind you.

So keep the speed up.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

So keep the speed up.

Keep speed up and use short high G turns, bf-109 can't do that 🙂

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 2 months later...

The P-51 is awful. For the same fuel, it is almost similar to the FW-190A8. Although a 190A got me out of the way despite being severely damaged (black smoke). My P-51 (beautifully healthy) was unable to reach it and I gave up! Against the FW-190D, again for the same fuel, there is a good chance for the P-51 as the German fighter is an iron with wings. Against the BF-109 ... forget it.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:36 PM, Gunfreak said:

So what techniques do you use against the 3 Axis fighters.

The mustang seems to out turn and is equal in climb to the A-8?

But what about the Dora?

And the 109k is superior in all aspects when it comes to flight?

I only dogfight the AI, and it depends on the level, Ace level Anton will many times even out turn the Mustang.

But generally speaking, with Mustang you can do a turn dogfight successfully against Andon and Dora and follow them in climb if you manage to keep the visual contact. And against  the Kurfürst turn dogfight is possible at times and with lower AI levels, but generally you wish to go for head to head dogfight, and also most of times you can follow it in climb, but now when the Mustang engine cooling is bugged, following a Kurfürst in climb will make your engine blow up most of the time.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:33 AM, flavnet said:

The P-51 is awful. For the same fuel, it is almost similar to the FW-190A8. Although a 190A got me out of the way despite being severely damaged (black smoke). My P-51 (beautifully healthy) was unable to reach it and I gave up! Against the FW-190D, again for the same fuel, there is a good chance for the P-51 as the German fighter is an iron with wings. Against the BF-109 ... forget it.

You can always do some defensive maneuvering. 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Silent Film said:

I only dogfight the AI, and it depends on the level, Ace level Anton will many times even out turn the Mustang.

But generally speaking, with Mustang you can do a turn dogfight successfully against Andon and Dora and follow them in climb if you manage to keep the visual contact. And against  the Kurfürst turn dogfight is possible at times and with lower AI levels, but generally you wish to go for head to head dogfight, and also most of times you can follow it in climb, but now when the Mustang engine cooling is bugged, following a Kurfürst in climb will make your engine blow up most of the time.

You can always do some defensive maneuvering. 😂

I think the point is more you have to develop your skills in the air frame you use. It is definitely possible to be successful in either of those two planes when challenging the other. Notice though how only on blade was bent? That's called Eagle Dynamics! 

On 10/22/2021 at 4:19 AM, Peter5on said:

2:00 Wingtip kill with silent running that's some skill right there!

I think the video was meant more for humor than a demonstration of skill. My comment was referring to the general discussion of the thread in terms of pitting the Mustang against other planes. While someone stated they don't feel the Mustang is able to go against the 109, my own view is that the DCS version can if you play it right. I agree with @Silent Film, you have to leverage you strengths against your opponents weaknesses which does require skill IMO. I am not trying to imply that I have those skills, or that you have them.

The question was, what techniques should we use in the Mustang vs the Axis fighters? One of the problems we are all strapped with is that AI are capable of pushing the planes to performance levels most players can't. But as we can see in numerous other threads, and hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos, the Mustang can go against the 109 and win.

• 4 weeks later...

After some AI Battles with the 3 axis fighters ive observed the following

A8 relatively easy, unless jumped by it.
easy to out turn / out run. wouldnt engage in an endless vertical fight in which AI seems to engage a lot.
use 10 deg flaps not to over shoot and fly tighter corners, if needed.
try to stay above 7000ft, as the a8 can climb better to about this height.

D8. Similar to A8.Climbs and dives better. 
keep the fight above 16k ft. Better 20k+
still can be outrun.

K4. Sucker.
Stay fast stay high.
It seems to me the K4 isnt as good as the mustung in great heights. 20k+ and above. can be outturned and out runned with WEP.
Wouldnt engage below 15k ft unless you haves speed/alt advantage and can jump it. thing will simply turn on a dime and blow you to pieces.
Dont let yourself drag down below 7k ft. AI regularly does this.
Spirals down and then enters a yoyo frency, or engages a curve fight to drain your energy and then just you have it in your pipper itll climb.

Dont follow into a spiral below 16k ft unless you can jump it. after that disengange gain alt circle and observe.
Unless its the A8 id  always enter a circle fight from above and yoyo up and down. fire on the down pass and disengange going up.
at a certain point it will drained its energy and you can sit on its six and easily pump it with lead.

Managed to out run it with WEP level flight.

Generally if the distance to each of these isnt great they can be followed into a short climb to fire 1- 2 aimed bursts and then disengage and fall off into a dive with throttle set back and few seconds of flight to let the engine cool.
Better to run and relocate the opponent if sight is lost, and reengage if engine has cooled down.

What occured to me quite often in higher alts are engine explosions with the german fighters. guess due to fuel pressure.
one gets a huge fireball flash after 1-2 bursts and the kraut goes down/disengages rapidly.

agree/disagree/thoghts/suggestions?

Edited by Doughguy
  • Thanks 2