Livery folder name?

dresoccer4
Go to solution Solved by dresoccer4,

Quick q, whats the livery folder name supposed to be to get downloading liveries to work in the "SAVED GAMES" directory?

thanks.

Is it

\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\f-86f sabre

or

\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\F-86

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• Solution

hmm i think i figured it out. For some reason you have to name the folder f-86f sabre. Which is strange because it doesn't even remotely follow any of the other module naming conventions. The programmer in me shivers at the idea of it

1-naming.jpg

As you can see it's the only module that starts with a lower case letter! In fact several of the modules completely disregard the standard naming conventions. This makes guessing what the correct folder name is when you're installing liveries extra difficult. Maybe i'm the only one that's bothered by this 😛 

• Like 3

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, rooster328 said:

bump

bump why?  ... this issue was solved by the OP himself.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 8/19/2021 at 6:25 PM, dresoccer4 said:

hmm i think i figured it out. For some reason you have to name the folder f-86f sabre. Which is strange because it doesn't even remotely follow any of the other module naming conventions. The programmer in me shivers at the idea of it

1-naming.jpg

As you can see it's the only module that starts with a lower case letter! In fact several of the modules completely disregard the standard naming conventions. This makes guessing what the correct folder name is when you're installing liveries extra difficult. Maybe i'm the only one that's bothered by this 😛 

fwiw, upper or lowercase doesn't matter. Especially not on a Windows machine (windows isn't case sensistive).

If you ever want to have a good idea of what the folder name should be, look inside:

../DCS/Mods/aircraft/[an aircraft]/entry.lua

The F86 one is a bit messy, as it refers to itself sometimes as 'F-86F' and others as 'F-86F Sabre', but the key thing is the 'make_flyable' line. The first arg is actually defining the module name, and ED's hookup code that checks in MyDocuments/SavedGames.... runs off that from what I can tell

The Sabre's:

make_flyable('F-86F Sabre',current_mod_path..'/Cockpit/Scripts/',F86FM,current_mod_path..'/comm.lua') -- AFM

Hence why despite the main folder being just F-86, the game is told it is defined as 'F-86F Sabre' so the engine looks for folders with that in MyDocs/....

Edited by Buzzles
tweak a missing F
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Buzzles said:

fwiw, upper or lowercase doesn't matter. Especially not on a Windows machine (windows isn't case sensistive).

If you ever want to have a good idea of what the folder name should be, look inside:

../DCS/Mods/aircraft/[an aircraft]/entry.lua

The F86 one is a bit messy, as it refers to itself sometimes as 'F-86F' and others as 'F-86F Sabre', but the key thing is the 'make_flyable' line. The first arg is actually defining the module name, and ED's hookup code that checks in MyDocuments/SavedGames.... runs off that from what I can tell

The Sabre's:

make_flyable('F-86F Sabre',current_mod_path..'/Cockpit/Scripts/',F86FM,current_mod_path..'/comm.lua') -- AFM

Hence why despite the main folder being just F-86, the game is told it is defined as 'F-86F Sabre' so the engine looks for folders with that in MyDocs/....

thanks for the response, good to know!

You'd think it'd just be simpler for everyone involved if they kept a consistent naming convention throughout the sim and across modules. Then no need for digging into lines of code and confusion. At least this is what I was taught in my programming 101 classes 😉 . As my profs said, "Keep it simple, stupid!"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

You'd think it'd just be simpler for everyone involved if they kept a consistent naming convention throughout the sim and across modules. 

This is a software that was released 13 years ago, and contains items of previous sims that date back at least a further 5 years ... do you really believe that a software that has been modified over such a long period of time can have conventions that are immutable?

To me it is a wonder that this Sim is still around, and this type of issue seem very minor to me ... I'm just glad that it still works and that modules that I purchased 8 years ago can still be used without having to purchase "updates".

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

59 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

This is a software that was released 13 years ago, and contains items of previous sims that date back at least a further 5 years ... do you really believe that a software that has been modified over such a long period of time can have conventions that are immutable?

To me it is a wonder that this Sim is still around, and this type of issue seem very minor to me ... I'm just glad that it still works and that modules that I purchased 8 years ago can still be used without having to purchase "updates".

for something as basic as module names it shouldn't matter how old the software is, its probably just mistakes instead of intentional discrepancies. coders not looking back at conventions and instead forging on their own. however mistakes this simple could also be seen as canaries in the coal mine, if you know what that means...

OR, it was on purpose for some greater purpose unbeknownst to us

Edited by dresoccer4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

if you know what that means

No, I don't .. I just see this as nitpicking. 🙄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

No, I don't .. I just see this as nitpicking. 🙄

ill explain then, because it relates to your erroneous statement "this issue seems very minor to me" as it becomes even more important in "very old" software.

Canary in the coal mine is an english saying representing a small warning sign which is a precursor to eventual larger problems. So even though having inconstant naming conventions may seem trivial to the average joe, it could be a sign of a bigger problem down the road (such as poor coding, or bad QA, or rushed deployments, etc etc) which could lead to delays or conflicts or crashes. Or it could be none of those things. Such goes the saying. It's simply an interesting observation and gives you something to think about.

Hope this explained it well enough for you. No need to respond I consider this thread now closed 👋

Edited by dresoccer4

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, dresoccer4 said:

1-naming.jpg

Thank You for this....I couldn't find the solution anywhere to place Liveries for the F-86F...and then I came across your post.  Thank You Very Much!!

Edited by CWW1964
  • Like 1