Flying the Yak-52

Callsign112

I fly it quite often, I like the FM, it has an SBD vibe.

It’s completely different to anything else in DCS and as a GA aircraft the lack of DM doesn’t bother me. I can fly round the maps MSFS checking out the scenery, landing anywhere. But then I’m one of those people that would buy and enjoy a DCS 172. I’d wait for it be on sale before picking it up, why not, but for the few £ I paid I’ve probably had more fun/£ return than many of my other DCS purchases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the CEII but much prefer EDs FM for the Yak. The Yak feels dynamic and handles in a similar way to EDs other warbirds, the CEII just feels a bit odd still somehow.

I must admit I don’t understand why ED doesn’t just finish it. It’s a relatively simple plane and adding some polish would stop the moaning. Maybe there’s more missing under the hood than is apparent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frumpy said:

Yes, another civilian prop for DCS would be cool. 🙂

Anyway, while the turn coordinator and a few other things do not work, I like flying the Yak too due to the flight model. Good value when on sale, despite the flaws.

I like the idea of more "civilian aircraft", but it would be better to have "combat aircraft, that can be used in a civilian role".

For example, the UH-1H Iroquois/Huey is a combat helicopter, but you can remove the hardpoints and use the civilian livery and you get a civilian helicopter. Something like that could be done with a AC-208 Caravan or similar, for example. But it does need to be relevant to combat... it is DCS after all. Or maybe it could be from a 3rd party Dev. But just a random civilian from ED may well be unprofitable, and thus suffer a similar fate to the Yak52.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mogster said:

I fly it quite often, I like the FM, it has an SBD vibe.

It’s completely different to anything else in DCS and as a GA aircraft the lack of DM doesn’t bother me. I can fly round the maps MSFS checking out the scenery, landing anywhere. But then I’m one of those people that would buy and enjoy a DCS 172. I’d wait for it be on sale before picking it up, why not, but for the few £ I paid I’ve probably had more fun/£ return than many of my other DCS purchases.

Yeah I get that. Something I started doing more of is just exploring the map detail at low speed/level. I would especially like to do this on the Syria map, so it is probably next on my list. I think the Yak would be perfect for that. Were you able to try it out in dual player? I would like to know if it works well?

Don't know about CEII, but we only have the Yak-52 module because ED was asked to develop it for the customer and negotiated the ability to release it to public. That said, it's valuable as a zero-level trainer. L-39 and C-101 are more of an intermediate level for combat planes with pro level being two-seater versions of the actual combat aircraft, but the first thing a nugget (of any variety, really) gets strapped to after finishing the theory course is this modest fellow. Combat-wise there is the only produced specimen of Yak-52B model with two UB-32 rocket pods but come on :laugh:

I use the Yak if I want to give someone a go on my sim rig. If they’ve never flown on the PC before there’s no point in starting them with much else in DCS.

With the Yak they can generally get off the ground themselves after a couple of attempts, fly around then land. There’s no way they will be able to handle one of the jets or warbirds, even the L39 is too difficult.

I use the Yak if I want to give someone a go on my sim rig. If they’ve never flown on the PC before there’s no point in starting them with much else in DCS.

With the Yak they can generally get off the ground themselves after a couple of attempts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WarbossPetross said:

Don't know about CEII, but we only have the Yak-52 module because ED was asked to develop it for the customer and negotiated the ability to release it to public. That said, it's valuable as a zero-level trainer. L-39 and C-101 are more of an intermediate level for combat planes with pro level being two-seater versions of the actual combat aircraft, but the first thing a nugget (of any variety, really) gets strapped to after finishing the theory course is this modest fellow. Combat-wise there is the only produced specimen of Yak-52B model with two UB-32 rocket pods but come on :laugh:

Well regardless of why, or how the model came to be, its here. Making a Yak-52B version would do one thing really... and that would be expand its training role, not compete with fighter jets in a combat role ...:punch:

yak1.jpeg

yak2.jpeg

yak3.jpeg

Edited by Callsign112

I enjoy the Yak. It has a low work load, easy to fly, and is easy to see out of when sightseeing. It's great for bush flying - landing anywhere.. Some of the missions I've created have a rough base set up on the plateau/bowl north of ~ Kutaisi - and a few other places.

There are a few things wrong with it, not updated, etc. but it's still fun. I'd like to see the new prop tech added, the borked instruments and engine cooling/temps fixed, damage model completed. You can still bend the landing gear in its current state.

Lately I've been flying the I-16 as a sight-seeing plane but it is a twitchy tail dragger when on the ground, landing, and taking off. Really short distance between the main and tail wheel and a big, high torque engine. It's hard to see out of when on the ground but great in level flight - that's its charm. If there is no desire to learn how to handle a tail dragger (expect ~10+ hours) then stick with the Yak.

I'd really like to see a Yak-50 (single seat tail dragger version).

I have the CEII. Never fly it - find it kind of hard to see out of for sight-seeing purposes.

Cessna 172? Would rather DCS: Fieseler Storch. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mogster said:

Combat Caravan would be interesting.

Off topic but...

+9999

A Combat Caravan, (or maybe a PC12/U-28) would be a great DCS module.  Configurable as cargo transport, Medevac, SOF extract/insertion, ISTAR and even light CAS.

See the source image

See the source image

• Like 4

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

I like the Yak-52 and since 2.7 it's one of my most flown aircraft.

And when/if we get a FF 9-12 MiG-29 there'll be an almost perfect progression for newcomers: Yak-52 -> L-39C -> MiG-29.

The issues it has however sometimes make it tough, and it's especially annoying when this is the simplest aircraft in DCS and the only aircraft to have some of these issues, namely the lack of LODs and a damage model (and no, damage models aren't just useful for being hit by weapons, there's also crashes and collisions).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I think someone else said it best when they said ED should just finish what they started and stop all the moaning. The Yak-52 simply provides another option, its up to the mission designer to decide how to use it.

@Sacarino111, @Northstar98, I agree. If ED wanted to promote more interest in the Yak, they could certainly do that by fixing what ever needs to be, and or adding to its capabilities. 

@reece146, I remember watching a YouTube of a group of 3 Yak-52's taking turns landing on a mountain side plateau just like in your description. Could that be your video? And I agree, it doesn't have to be cannon fire all the time. As long as there is a focus on making the maps accurate, they can be used for any purpose you want to simulate. One of the main attractions to MSFS for me was map accuracy.

It could be fun just exploring the maps, and something like the Yak would add a lot of interest with its ability to more easily land/take-off from remote locations. You might have to add the occasional roadside FARP in a field or patch of desert somewhere, but assuming the map is accurately detailed with landmarks, even the most ardent fighter pilot can find satisfaction in simply navigating through the scenery.

I have the Yak in a ww2 mission that I’ve built, where the objective is to fly SOE agents in or out of France.  Feels like a reasonable use of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

12 часов назад, reece146 сказал:

May I interest you in U-2 aka Po-2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_Po-2 One of the most produced aircraft in history, the original stealth bomber, a plane so hardcore it downed a jet fighter without even firing a single shot - how much more badass can it possibly get?! :pilotfly:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, reece146 said:

I enjoy the Yak. It has a low work load, easy to fly, and is easy to see out of when sightseeing. It's great for bush flying - landing anywhere.. Some of the missions I've created have a rough base set up on the plateau/bowl north of ~ Kutaisi - and a few other places.

There are a few things wrong with it, not updated, etc. but it's still fun. I'd like to see the new prop tech added, the borked instruments and engine cooling/temps fixed, damage model completed. You can still bend the landing gear in its current state.

Lately I've been flying the I-16 as a sight-seeing plane but it is a twitchy tail dragger when on the ground, landing, and taking off. Really short distance between the main and tail wheel and a big, high torque engine. It's hard to see out of when on the ground but great in level flight - that's its charm. If there is no desire to learn how to handle a tail dragger (expect ~10+ hours) then stick with the Yak.

I'd really like to see a Yak-50 (single seat tail dragger version).

I have the CEII. Never fly it - find it kind of hard to see out of for sight-seeing purposes.

Found the video I mentioned. The owner had it posted in another thread.

11 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

@reece146, I remember watching a YouTube of a group of 3 Yak-52's taking turns landing on a mountain side plateau just like in your description. Could that be your video? And I agree, it doesn't have to be cannon fire all the time. As long as there is a focus on making the maps accurate, they can be used for any purpose you want to simulate. One of the main attractions to MSFS for me was map accuracy.

It could be fun just exploring the maps, and something like the Yak would add a lot of interest with its ability to more easily land/take-off from remote locations. You might have to add the occasional roadside FARP in a field or patch of desert somewhere, but assuming the map is accurately detailed with landmarks, even the most ardent fighter pilot can find satisfaction in simply navigating through the scenery.

Not my video - sounds intriguing.  🙂

I only have one 'tube video posted - Yak-52 engine failure - what are the odds?

I've made a bunch of single player missions where I've populated the Caucasus map with all the small, rugged air strips that are missing in the ED supplied base map. Lots of google time - ha!  Stuff in Armenia and Azerbaijan included.

10 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

It wouldn't work well though unless you modeled the skin to look like this:

paris taxi.jpeg

Loves me some 2CV action. Would love to buy one to add to my fleet of "fun" real cars - not exactly "common" in North America though. Since most modern cars suck things like these are very desirable.

7 hours ago, WarbossPetross said:

May I interest you in U-2 aka Po-2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_Po-2 One of the most produced aircraft in history, the original stealth bomber, a plane so hardcore it downed a jet fighter without even firing a single shot - how much more badass can it possibly get?! :pilotfly:

Biplane? ED, when?

I love character-ful machinery. Would love for someone to do a proper WWI suite of aircraft and assets. Even something pre-WW2 like a Gloster Gladiator for the BoB aircraft when (if?) they end up being done.

4 hours ago, reece146 said:

@Eightball video is what got me hard core into bush flying the Yak.

Yeah he sure makes it look fun, and I am just as impressed with all the really nice skins for it too. I hope they are available for public download.

But I meant to ask you before, you mean the WWII prop tech was not added to the YaK? I think ED probably has a huge backlog of people just waiting for this thing to be finished. I came across the videos Laobi did on it, and when he announced the Yak give away, he had more than 600 people enter for a chance to win. I don't know how many of those actually went on to buy it when they didn't, but I get why they entered.

And you are right, it is the perfect fixed wing dual seater for sight seeing in the SIM. Get a group of guys together, and it would be a lot of fun racing through a place like Vegas too.

A couple of my favorite skins from @Eight Ball post.

Y1.jpeg

Y2.jpeg

y3.jpeg

y4.jpeg

On 8/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, Lace said:

Off topic but...

+9999

A Combat Caravan, (or maybe a PC12/U-28) would be a great DCS module.  Configurable as cargo transport, Medevac, SOF extract/insertion, ISTAR and even light CAS.

See the source image

See the source image

The 208 Guardian version is intended to deploy SF troops either on the ground or by para drop, it the remains in overwatch and can provide ISR and fire support if needed with up to 8 Hellfire or 14 Hydra or APKWS. I can imagine some very cool missions if it had animated deplorable troops.

• Like 2