Flying the Yak-52

Callsign112

I thought this was an interesting way to put the Yak-52 into a mission. Fly it over a mountain range in really bad weather. The mission includes cold start, cross wind, and low visibility to mention just a few. So low on oxygen, and out of fuel he is finally able to bring his runway into view. He doesn't go over how to set up navigation so I included a short little video on that below.

Interesting. What was your altitude when the engine cut, and how far did you glide for?

It would also be interesting to hear from someone with real experience in a Yak. Were you constantly having to correct for a nose down attitude?

I'm assuming you took the flaps off once you noticed the speed drop?

I don't remember the height - would have to take a close look at the video. I was pretty low when I noticed the engine situation and tried to climb as long as a could before the engine died. It was a fair distance out - again, don't remember. It was at least 20 minutes of gliding. Yes to flaps up once speed started bleeding off so quickly.

I don't recall correcting for nose down but then the range on the h-stab trim on the Yak is pretty wide.

So after looking at your video again and zooming into the gauges, you were just under 4000m, and you were able to keep your speed around 150 with a slight angle of descent. Around 2000m, you level out for a bit and your airspeed drops right away as expected. Looks like you were in the glide for about 40 km or so. Cool :thumbup: 

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 1

Aside from being beautifully modeled, the Yak does a good job at making virtual flying look incredibly real. If I didn't know this was an ED promotional video, I could easily mistaken this as footage from a real airshow. I'm surprised I can't find any formation flying/aerobatics videos from the community.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried creating a formation type mission for a single player with 4 AI wing men? Does the smoke feature work with AI Yak 52? 

7 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried creating a formation type mission for a single player with 4 AI wing men? Does the smoke feature work with AI Yak 52?

I have not tried it, but there's this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315176/

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Thanks 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Have you bought the plane? With the obvious enthusiasm and intent you have for the airplane I'm pretty certain you will enjoy it. Trial it first perhaps.

Have you seen this?

http://virtualairrace.com/

There is a class with the Yak-52.

<That site is loading really slow for me, not sure if that is the case everywhere - almost unusable ATM>

Not yet, I am still traveling at the moment, but it will be my next prop.

No I had not seen the racing thing yet, thanks for sharing. I would like to try and build a race course that weaves between the buildings on the Vegas strip. Not sure how that might turn out, or how easy it will be to make it entertaining, but I thought it would be interesting to try and push the Yak to its G-limits.

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I have not tried it, but there's this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315176/

Thanks for that @unlikely_spider!

2 hours ago, StevanJ said:

You’re welcome..

Awesome dude, I look forward to checking it out.

I'm not a fan of the DCS Yak52. Not only because of it's unfinished state, but mainly due to the lack of realism in basic areas concerning the flight model.

Even MSFS is more realistic in some areas.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

6 hours ago, bbrz said:

I'm not a fan of the DCS Yak52. Not only because of it's unfinished state, but mainly due to the lack of realism in basic areas concerning the flight model.

Even MSFS is more realistic in some areas.

I don't speak Russian. Can you translate?

Was he saying the DCS Yak 52 requires less rudder during take-off?

Regarding the unfinished state, ED has announced that it will get back to work on the Yak as time allows. Regarding FM's, they can and are updated all the time. If the issue is real, it should be reported in the bugs section where the Devs can review and fix if the issue is confirmed.

As demonstrated in all DCS modules, I am fascinated how software is used to model the look and function of mechanical systems, and the Yak 52 is no exception here. Being beautifully modeled, it is the Yak's simplicity that creates part of the charm for me. But I am sure you are not alone, as there is probably a large following that will be happy when the Yak finally gets finished.  

3 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

I don't speak Russian. Can you translate?

You can select Russian subtitles and use settings > auto translate > English (or your preferred language).

3 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Was he saying the DCS Yak 52 requires less rudder during take-off?

No it's more fundamental stuff.

Paraphrasing as best I can (don't speak/read Russian)

Testing the rudder -

DCS rolls in the direction of the sideslip (ball goes left, aircraft rolls right), opposite to real.

DCS's rudder causes opposite pitch change to real: left rudder --> nose goes down, right rudder --> nose goes up (google translate makes it hard to tell which is correct, only that DCS is opposite).

Other than for large rudder inputs, DCS needs little if any stick deflection unlike real (and is opposite to real).

Yes, there are gyroscopic forces due to the rotation of an engine but as modelled in DCS these overwhelm the aerodynamic forces, IRL it's the opposite and aerodynamic forces predominate real life behaviour.

Take off - pulling the stick back too soon (70 knots ?) will cause the nose wheel to lift and may cause a tail strike IRL, in DCS the nose wheel is glued to the ground until takeoff (90 km/h ?) at which point the aircraft will leap into the air and perhaps stall if the stick is still held back. Using DCS to show a cadet how to takeoff, they won't appreciate the danger and real life consequences of pulling the stick back too early, the RL behaviour is modelled in other sims.

... and it just goes on and on, but hey - if it looks like a Yak-52 and sounds like a Yak-52, it must be good ?

Note, he ends on a positive note, saying not to get to hang up on too many details in simulators i.e. cylinder head and oil temperatures; and that DCS does have things to offer as procedural/switch trainer and he continues to buy DCS modules as a "treat" and to encourage the dev's to improve the module.

Disclaimer: I enjoy the Yak for what it does but I haven't flown the real or used the DCS Yak-52 as a teaching aid, it does sound it could teach bad habits though.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

1 hour ago, Ramsay said:

You can select Russian subtitles and use settings > auto translate > English (or your preferred language).

No it's more fundamental stuff.

Paraphrasing as best I can (don't speak/read Russian)

Testing the rudder -

... and it just goes on and on, but hey - if it looks like a Yak-52 and sounds like a Yak-52, it must be good ?

Disclaimer: I enjoy the Yak for what it does but I haven't flown the real or used the DCS Yak-52 as a teaching aid, it does sound it could teach bad habits though.

I don't have a real plane to compare either, but there are a number of other people that have flown the real deal and have given the DCS Yak a reasonable review. Have you, or any one else passed these concerns on to the Dev team?

I know there was a fairly lengthy thread here with someone that actually owns a Yak, and I know he seemed to think there were a number of problems with the FM.

Seems a little odd to me though that ED has accurately modeled everything form WWII props to modern jets, but they can't get the Yak nailed down, and especially with all the still in use examples flying around? Like how hard can it be?

Have you seen this?

Anyway, out of the whole description you translated, the only thing that really jumps out at me as being reasonable in terms of what you would expect without having ever tried the module is the comment on gyro vs aerodynamic forces. I would expect it to be easy to correct in the Yak just like he is suggesting the RL plane to be, but I can't say in any of the YouTube videos I've watch the authors struggled to correct for the engine at full power, or even commented on that point. So he is the first person I hear making this comment.

In terms of rudder control, I linked a couple of videos from another person that owns a Yak in the shared thread below, and he doesn't seem to express the same opinion. But anyway, its my next prop, so if there are any discrepancies with the FM, I hope ED will get them worked out.

23 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Have you, or any one else passed these concerns on to the Dev team?

Yeah, a real life owner passed feedback about the rudder (and landing), a month or so (Aug 2018) after it's open beta release .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217349

Other than fixing the ADF and a few minor changes i.e. language support; AFAIK nothing else was done/revised.

ED simply haven't devoted the resources, choosing to prioritise other projects and put the Yak-52 into maintenance mode i.e. so other updates and lighting changes don't break it.

Edited by Ramsay
Remembered ED fixed the Yak's ADF
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

46 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

Seems a little odd to me though that ED has accurately modeled everything form WWII props to modern jets, but they can't get the Yak nailed down, and especially with all the still in use examples flying around? Like how hard can it be?

Have you seen this?

Yes, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

I can't speak about the graph but ED's claims have at times proved to be "selective" and should be verified by SME's. Just because a module is well received (i.e. Huey), it doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

All I know is that that the Yak's "Options>Special>Rudder trim" adjustment hasn't worked since it's release and I'll judge ED by their actions, not claims.

Edited by Ramsay

Yes that was the thread I was talking about. I don't have time to go over the entire thread again at the moment, but I think the main point has to do with the trim tab not being modeled yet, so just waiting for that to be corrected. I think DCS will put things right when they revisit the module.

But I think Yo-yo explained the current situation well, and I don't think ED is making any claims that it can't back up. Lets hope the Yak gets a revisit soon. I am pretty confident your judgment of the situation will fall in favor of ED when all is said and done.

I can't wait to take it for a spin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 3:46 AM, Callsign112 said:

@Eight Ball, watch a lot of great videos on the DCS Yak by now, but I thought the one linked below was brilliant.

I have also seen a ton of really nice skins for the Yak, including the ones you showed off. Are the skins you posted pictures of available for download, and where can I find them?

Thanks for the kind words.

You should be able to find all the liveries I made for the Yak here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-skin/unit-is-yak-52/user-is-MacadamCow/apply/

59 minutes ago, Eight Ball said:

Thanks for the kind words.

You should be able to find all the liveries I made for the Yak here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/type-is-skin/unit-is-yak-52/user-is-MacadamCow/apply/

Thanks.

Hey if you, or anyone you know that has a knack for creating skins has the interest and the time, the air cooled engine and ribbed two-seat canopy of the Yak would look really good in a rising sun outfit like the one pictured above. Might be cool to get the Yak involved in some recon flights around the Marianas.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, Callsign112 said:

Well regardless of why, or how the model came to be, its here. Making a Yak-52B version would do one thing really... and that would be expand its training role, not compete with fighter jets in a combat role ...:punch:

yak1.jpeg

yak2.jpeg

yak3.jpeg

i heard they put guns on the yak but not, GUNS

• Thanks 2