Yak-52 Trainer

Callsign112

On 9/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, Callsign112 said:

2. You don't see value in the Yak as an aerobatics platform as there are faster more powerful aircraft that can make an easier job of it.

Nowhere did I write this. IMO the Yak is IMO the best aircraft to learn/train aerobatics in DCS. 

You are again misinterpreting what I wrote!

You wrote: It also allows the player to experiment with maneuvers at a lower rate of speed in a plane that is arguably easier to recover in

I replied that lower speed (energy) makes performing aerobatics more difficult than higher speeds (and/or a higher power to weight ratio)

Lower speed doesn't imply that it's easier to recover from mishandled maneuvers. It's almost the opposite. Lower speeds/energy means less room for error.

Aerobatics in a C152 are a lot more difficult than e.g. in an Extra. (at least IRL)

Edited by bbrz
  • Like 1

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

On 9/18/2021 at 1:21 AM, bbrz said:

I don't agree that the Yak takes off more like a jet.  

Lower speed means lower energy which in turn makes aerobatics (energy management) a lot more difficult than in faster and higher powered aircraft.

Aerobatics in the DCS Yak will teach you wrong techniques, even very basic maneuvers like a loop due to missing basics in the flight model.    

@bbrz thanks for explaining. Obviously I misunderstood you. I took the two bold statements together and concluded that you felt the Yak 52 isn't a good plane for aerobatics.

The comment your quoting about experimenting with maneuvers at a lower rate of speed was directed at the virtual pilot learning to do aerobatics. Higher speed usually means less reaction time. So if you are in the Yak, you will likely have more reaction time in a plane that is supposed to be pretty easy to recover in according to some of the reviews I watched.

But regardless of whether you are learning to do loops in a CEII or the Yak 52, my point was you have to learn how to do it according to how the plane your flying responds in flight. So the fact that the CEII has more power/lb than the Yak 52 isn't really a factor when your in the Yak, because what ever maneuver you are practicing will be dictated by the capabilities of the plane itself. After learning to do loops in the Yak 52 you might get in the CEII and say, "wow that was easy", but it doesn't mean you can't do loops in the Yak.

Hope that helps to better explain what I meant. But I am looking forward to adding the Yak 52 to my collection.   

53 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

But I am looking forward to adding the Yak 52 to my collection.   

I'd recommend it if :
You have VR
You want to do some aerobatics

In my experience, nothing touches the Yak for post stall behaviour, but it does have it's limits. There are some issues with the flight model around full throttle and high AoA, but you can work with them by flying within the limits from experimentation.
It's probably not the best all round module, but I've seen nothing better for at, or beyond stall simulation, wish ED would fix the AoA bug though.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-6700 3.4GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB - Logitech G940 - Oculus Rift CV1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, Magnatilla said:

I'd recommend it if :
You have VR
You want to do some aerobatics

In my experience, nothing touches the Yak for post stall behaviour, but it does have it's limits. There are some issues with the flight model around full throttle and high AoA, but you can work with them by flying within the limits from experimentation.
It's probably not the best all round module, but I've seen nothing better for at, or beyond stall simulation, wish ED would fix the AoA bug though.

Thanks!