Wildcard Kills Player After "Good Break, Continue" Call

FMBluecher

First of all, let me just say how much I'm loving this campaign so far! I'm on Event 6 and having a blast.

However, I was surprised at how the Wildcard worked. I spotted him, made the call, and broke towards him. I got the "Good break, continue" call from Showtime. Given how Bio described the Wildcard in his book, I thought this meant, "great, now I don't need to worry about the missile he fired" because my understanding was, once you got the "Good break, continue" call, you were safe from the Wildcard.

However, twice now, after receiving the "Good break, continue" call, the missile hit me and I was called dead by Showtime. The second time, I even tried to evade it and was dumping flares, but--partly because I didn't do a great evasive turn and partly because it's an AIM-9X--it hit me anyway.

Is this a DCS limitation? If so, I'll try to just keep at it until I can get past it, but is there some way to make the AIM-9X auto-detonate or do something to keep Showtime from calling the player dead when this happens? It feels like I accomplished the training objective, and since the Wildcard fires the missile almost immediately after spawning, the window for making the call before the missile is fired is almost impossibly tiny.

Or am I misunderstanding the procedure? I'll freely admit that that's possible, but I just wanted to check. If avoiding the missile is a deliberate part of the exercise (which is fine with me as long as it's intentional), then in that case I would suggest replacing the -9X with a -9M or something to represent a roughly contemporary threat.

Edit: Perhaps I simply was extremely unlucky the first two times, as the wildcard launched the Sidewinder at ranges of approximately 6 nm. I tried it again and this time I spotted it before it shot, which was at about 4.5-5 nm.

Edited by FMBluecher

Hi,

the moment you call, he goes ‘weapons hold’. But if he has already launched there is no way to ‘call back’ that aim-9 unfortunately. Once he launches your only chance is to evade the missile. 

I used an AIM-9X because I wanted a sure kill. Before, I used normal AIM-9s, and often the AI just evaded the missile while testing, so the whole wildcard became pointless

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 1

I figured it might be something like that. No worries! If you have time at some point, it might be helpful to give the player a hint that "if he already fired when you spotted him, you still have to evade the missile" or something, but not a high priority.

25 minutes ago, FMBluecher said:

I figured it might be something like that. No worries! If you have time at some point, it might be helpful to give the player a hint that "if he already fired when you spotted him, you still have to evade the missile" or something, but not a high priority.

I've considered that, but that would be just too much text, I hate long instructions.

For the next update I'll move their spawn points a bit further to give the players more time to spot them though.