How to manually add GPS coordinates for GPS guided bombs?

chnapo

I know there is a way to do it from F10 map, but I want to add coordinates manually, so I got them in format N xx-xx-xx.xx E xx-xx-xx.xx, elevation xx m and there seem to be no tutorials on how to do it.

Ryzen 3 3100 @ 4.2 GHz (temporarily, until Ryzen 5 5600 non-X is available)

B550 DS3H

2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Trident Z Neo
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11GB

Xiaomi 34" 3440x1440 144Hz curved gaming monitor

It's very similar to adding normal waypoints. Go into the DATA page on the EHSD and press ODU button 1 until it changes to TGPT. Then just enter the info like you would normally do for waypoints. Only issue is that you would need to convert the decimal minutes into seconds first (multiply last two digits by 0.6 to convert).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Is there no "precise" option for the GPS format like in the Hornet?

yes UTM coordinates (1 m precision)

instead of ODU 2 for POS click ODU 5 for UTM

depending on your home waypoint you might not get the correct grid option, though.

in that case you will first need to create a unprecise waypoint close to the target with lat/long, then go to CAS page, choose that unprecise waypoint as IP and should then get correct Grids for point 6 UTM entry.

then just click use and give that CAS entry a Targetpoint

edit: or you could just edit that unprecise waypoint into a Targetpoint by changing that UTM coordinates. But i have never tried that

Edited by Wisky
  • Like 1

Sounds like "precise" follows different logic in the Harrier. In the Hornet if you box "precise" it puts the GPS format into DD MM.mmm. Getting the right GPS format from F10 that's also compatibile with whatever jet you're flying is a bit of a chore. In some cases--struggling to think of a specific example at the moment--even the Alt+Y format switcher doesn't help.

Edited by Nealius

22 hours ago, lukeXIII said:

It's very similar to adding normal waypoints. Go into the DATA page on the EHSD and press ODU button 1 until it changes to TGPT. Then just enter the info like you would normally do for waypoints. Only issue is that you would need to convert the decimal minutes into seconds first (multiply last two digits by 0.6 to convert).

Same precision as waypoints, I am literally missing my targets by 10m.

15 hours ago, Wisky said:

depending on your home waypoint you might not get the correct grid option, though.

in that case you will first need to create a unprecise waypoint close to the target with lat/long, then go to CAS page, choose that unprecise waypoint as IP and should then get correct Grids for point 6 UTM entry.

edit: or you could just edit that unprecise waypoint into a Targetpoint by changing that UTM coordinates. But i have never tried that

I managed to follow you until the CAS page, but I don´t know how to choose that unprecise waypoint etc.

5 hours ago, Krez said:

You can also use the TPOD to add target or mark points.

If I am close enough to use TPOD, the weapon isn´t very stand off anymore. I also want fire and forget and launch many at the same time at more targets. Neither is possible with TPOD. If I use TPOD.

Edited by chnapo

B550 DS3H

3 hours ago, chnapo said:

If I am close enough to use TPOD, the weapon isn´t very stand off anymore. I also want fire and forget and launch many at the same time at more targets. Neither is possible with TPOD. If I use TPOD.

100% possible.
Actually, 100% certain because I do it all the time.
I am not sure of your procedure, but you can set targets of opportunity while staying well out of range.
You can ripple off your 10 JDAMS using TOO mode.
It's faster and easier than setting targets on the F10 map or setting a waypoint.

6 hours ago, Krez said:

100% possible.
Actually, 100% certain because I do it all the time.
I am not sure of your procedure, but you can set targets of opportunity while staying well out of range.
You can ripple off your 10 JDAMS using TOO mode.
It's faster and easier than setting targets on the F10 map or setting a waypoint.

But not for me, when I am in range to use the pod, I have other things to worry about. I need to set up on the ground before takeoff so that my bombing is just a matter of releasing the bombs within the range. Because I still have to worry about enemy fighters and SAMs. 

B550 DS3H

On 8/24/2021 at 1:59 AM, chnapo said:

But not for me, when I am in range to use the pod, I have other things to worry about. I need to set up on the ground before takeoff so that my bombing is just a matter of releasing the bombs within the range. Because I still have to worry about enemy fighters and SAMs. 

You can stay out of SAM range and still mark targets.
If enemy fighters are in the area, saving a minute or two marking targets probably doesn't mean you won't get shot down.

What's the best technique for marking targets without marking the ground 300ft behind the target? The laser range finder doesn't work >8.4nm because of the arbritary laser range limit in DCS, and placing the crosshairs at the base of the target has been unsuccessful for me. 

4 hours ago, Krez said:

You can stay out of SAM range and still mark targets.
If enemy fighters are in the area, saving a minute or two marking targets probably doesn't mean you won't get shot down.

I am not going to argue, it is more than a minute or two and TPOD is not a solution for me, I specifically asked about adding GPS coordinates manually and I would like to only get answers for that question.

B550 DS3H

Just a note, you mentioned missing targets by 10 meters, I think that is a normal CEP for JDAMs when using GPS.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104572/joint-direct-attack-munition-gbu-313238/

And regarding TPOD use, and although not realistic in DCS you get perfect coordinates from the TPOD at 35ish NM from a target, although I agree that does not answer your use case.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

On 8/23/2021 at 7:41 AM, Wisky said:

This seems to be the best solution, I managed to make it to targets but still haven´t dropped any bomb, will test later today and see.

B550 DS3H

1 hour ago, falcon_120 said:

Just a note, you mentioned missing targets by 10 meters, I think that is a normal CEP for JDAMs when using GPS.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104572/joint-direct-attack-munition-gbu-313238/

And regarding TPOD use, and although not realistic in DCS you get perfect coordinates from the TPOD at 35ish NM from a target, although I agree that does not answer your use case.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

They say 5m or less, but the issue is accuracy of coordinates - as they are entered in an inaccurate format like waypoints, the coordinates mark a roughly 10-15m circle. Now add the 5m accuracy of the bomb and you are getting anywhere from 0 to 20m, but most likely above 5m from target. That´s why I need coordinates that are much more accurate, like in Hornet and UTM as it seems can do the trick. About the TPOD, finding the correct targets in environment full of non-targets that will also show on TPOD view would be more than difficult from 35 miles. 

B550 DS3H