Mi-24 Gunner NVG

Aqil Huseynov

On 8/22/2021 at 1:14 PM, Aqil Huseynov said:

Night vision does not work on Mi-24 Gunner.

It shouldn't. Hell the pilot should go blind trying to use it in that pit. In no world should the mi24 be working with NVG's it was bad call by ED, mostly because they apparently have 0 clue about how NVG's work in the real world and their NVG's "models" reflect that.

The US military spent alot of lives and airframes in the 70's and 80's figuring out how to fly helos with NVG's and more specifically re-designing cockpits and weapons systems to work like that. The very idea of some drunk russian strapping on a set of NVG's and going hind flying in a non NVG compatible pit is a joke TBH. You can probably thank the 12 year old mooks on hoggit for demanding it.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

3 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

It shouldn't. Hell the pilot should go blind trying to use it in that pit. In no world should the mi24 be working with NVG's it was bad call by ED, mostly because they apparently have 0 clue about how NVG's work in the real world and their NVG's "models" reflect that.

That's a bit harsh on ED, trying to make the most realistic simulator ever made for the public... Cut them some slack for trying to figure out the balance between realism and fun-ism.

Edited by Chump

10 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

The US military spent alot of lives and airframes in the 70's and 80's figuring out how to fly helos with NVG's and more specifically re-designing cockpits and weapons systems to work like that. The very idea of some drunk russian strapping on a set of NVG's and going hind flying in a non NVG compatible pit is a joke TBH. You can probably thank the 12 year old mooks on hoggit for demanding it.

If you are not a real pilot, or if you do not know what country uses what, I would advise you to remain silent about this. I don't care how night vision is modeled by ED. I just opened a thread here about the NVG on the gunner chair not working, your problems with reality are none of my business

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Aqil Huseynov said:

If you are not a real pilot, or if you do not know what country uses what, I would advise you to remain silent about this. I don't care how night vision is modeled by ED. I just opened a thread here about the NVG on the gunner chair not working, your problems with reality are none of my business

It shouldn't work. Thats reality. The sight has 0 NVG ability. 

9 hours ago, Chump said:

That's a bit harsh on ED, trying to make the most realistic simulator ever made for the public... Cut them some slack for trying to figure out the balance between realism and fun-ism.

Thats the problem, they gave in to the "fun-ism" crowd. Same for the Mi-8 tbh. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 hours ago, Aqil Huseynov said:

Short reply to your thread - NVGs work perfectly. You gotta give us a track replay and describe what you're doing exactly to bring them up. Make sure you have keybinds set up for both - pilot and the operator in the settings.

Screen_210826_082142.png

Edited by SnuggleFairy

6 hours ago, [TF-108] Aero said:

@Aqil HuseynovWhen you open up your adjust controls menu in the gunner seat, make sure the controls are set to Mi-24 Gunner.  It defaults to the pilot seat controls even if you are in the gunner seat for some reason.

yes i am checking but unfortunately it is not working. we have to wait for the next update.

• ED Team

NVG seems to be working for me in the gunners position. 

Screen_210901_122604.png

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 4:56 AM, Harlikwin said:

Could you explain in a few accessible sentences , why the concept of simply strapping on a NVG Device in your average helicopter and dimming down the cockpit overhead & instrument lighting to very low doesn't really work well in reality? You can skip the part about weapons employment, I can imagine the issues with that much better.

Serious question and genuinely interested.I just don't have a lot of clue about NVG , except a very very basic understanding on how they work in principle.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

52 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Could you explain in a few accessible sentences , why the concept of simply strapping on a NVG Device in your average helicopter and dimming down the cockpit overhead & instrument lighting to very low doesn't really work well in reality? You can skip the part about weapons employment, I can imagine the issues with that much better.

Serious question and genuinely interested.I just don't have a lot of clue about NVG , except a very very basic understanding on how they work in principle.

Kind regards,

Snappy

The main thing is, #1 you can't read any instruments in that case. If you your cockpit lighting is to a level where you can read it with the naked eye i.e. look under the gogs then its too bright for the NVG. At best you might be able to kinda look outside if you put em up to the glass but reflections will screw you. 

Basically all aviation gogs have sets of filters at specific frequencies of light to block them, and the cockpit instruments are modified to only emit that specific frequency of light. So you can see your instruments and you can see outside. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

The main thing is, #1 you can't read any instruments in that case. If you your cockpit lighting is to a level where you can read it with the naked eye i.e. look under the gogs then its too bright for the NVG. At best you might be able to kinda look outside if you put em up to the glass but reflections will screw you. 

Basically all aviation gogs have sets of filters at specific frequencies of light to block them, and the cockpit instruments are modified to only emit that specific frequency of light. So you can see your instruments and you can see outside. 

Ok and if you dim your cockpit lights to a level  so far down that you can't read instruments with the naked eye, inside the cockpit I mean ?

Oh wait, or are you saying that in reality the Goggles are not used for reading the instruments at all and the instruments a read only by lookin down with the naked eyes , under the goggles and that the night vision goggles are only used for looking outside of the aircraft?

Edited by Snappy

12 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Ok and if you dim your cockpit lights to a level  so far down that you can't read instruments with the naked eye, inside the cockpit I mean ?

Oh wait, or are you saying that in reality the Goggles are not used for reading the instruments at all and the instruments a read only by lookin down with the naked eyes , under the goggles and that the night vision goggles are only used for looking outside of the aircraft?

This is how its done.

NVG's are focused at infinity to look outside. And you don't want to be fubmling with them to try to read instruments while flying. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harlikwin said:

This is how its done.

NVG's are focused at infinity to look outside. And you don't want to be fubmling with them to try to read instruments while flying. 

Ah, thanks a lot for explaining !  It now makes  a lot more sense to me . I was having the wrong idea,  I previously thought that night vision goggles are used as a complete substitute for the naked human eye during night flying, i.e. for both, reading instruments inside  & looking outside.

Now I also understand why there is such a problem in flying non-specifically night vision compatible aircraft with goggles. 

Really thanks a lot @HarlikwinI learned something new!

Have a nice weekend,

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

I have an issue where first joining the CPG seat in another players Hind usually means NVGs won't work. If you go back to spectators and then join the CPG seat again the NVGs work. This is basically part of the dance I do when playing CPG with another human player online.

Any Chance of having the Petrovich Cursor 'Not a light source' when using NVG's..

It makes perfect sense for the sight/aiming reticle in the HUD to be conflicted with NVG's, But trying to do 'Hunter Killer' type missions at night is made much more difficult because the floating reticle to which you tell Petrovich' aim here, is way too bright in NVG's..
Its 'doable' but my goodness its frustrating..

Untitled_1.1.1.jpg
Untitled_1.1.2.jpg

• ED Team
20 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Any Chance of having the Petrovich Cursor 'Not a light source' when using NVG's..

Which version of DCS are you using, petrovich symbology and NVG looks fine in the latest version

Screen_220110_121122.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2