Help obtaining a “full” alignment?

Coole28
Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

Been having difficulty with the INS alignment procedure and I can not for the life of me figure out what I’m doing wrong.  I follow all of the startup procedures as per Chuck’s guide, but no matter what I do I can never get the full alignment quality to “6” as stated in the guide and on ED’s official INS alignmentvideo, I can only get to “10”.  This is roughly the steps I do

• Get the engine and power up and running
  • Turn on the row of avionic switches above the EDI/GPS knob, minus the last one on the row
  • set MIDS to on, Link 16 to XMIT on the HSI page
  • Set GPS switch to on
  • set EDI/GPS knob to “NORM”
  • verify both lat/long coordinates by hi lighting them with the UFC rocker switch and pressing enter within two minutes of setting to align.  I have also tried manually entering the coordinates.
  • Sit back, drink some tea, wait for the 8 minute alignment process to end
  • Cry because the alignment number won’t go below 10 and I wasted 8 minutes of my life

This is fine enough for most uses, but with the recent additions of better GPS weapons (JSOW and CBU-105), this alignment it is no longer sufficient as both these weapons miss their mark with this degraded alignment.  Is there some secret step that I’m missing that isn’t part of the ED tutorial video?

• Solution

The maximum quality during alignment was updated recently. Status 6 requires a different procedure (Enhanced Interrupted Alignment) that isn't implemented at the moment. For now, status 10 is the best you can get.

The EIA process would look something like this: 

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

2 hours ago, Tholozor said:

The maximum quality during alignment was updated recently. Status 6 requires a different procedure (Enhanced Interrupted Alignment) that isn't implemented at the moment. For now, status 10 is the best you can get.

The EIA process would look something like this: 

Ah, that would explain it.  Must have missed those patch notes.  Does this change affect GPS weapon accuracy, or is my JSOW/CBU inaccuracy something else?

50 minutes ago, Coole28 said:

Ah, that would explain it.  Must have missed those patch notes.  Does this change affect GPS weapon accuracy, or is my JSOW/CBU inaccuracy something else?

It doesn’t affect weapons at all. If you’re long/short with IAM, ensure you’re inputting the correct tgt altitude in the SP, or you are point tracking in the TGP

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Florence201 said:

It doesn’t affect weapons at all. If you’re long/short with IAM, ensure you’re inputting the correct tgt altitude in the SP, or you are point tracking in the TGP

It falls left, right, short, and long of my target, but rarely on it.  If I ripple multiple JSOWs instead of just one, they will all hit the same point, but that point will be ~50 meters off of what the TPOD is aiming at (at the base of the target per standard targeting procedure).  Same results if I preplan a target with coordinates rather than designating with tpod.  Given that LGBs and Mavs work fine I figured it was an alignment issue causing GPS guidance to go haywire, but I guess that’s not the case.  

Keep in mind that while JSOWs might dispense the bomblets at the correct coordinates, the bomblets can drift in the wind. Same thing with the CBU-105.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/