Confused about Magic use with Radar ACM modes

Al-Azraq

Hey people,

Yesterday I had 30 minutes free so I decided to go to the dogfight server for some quick action but the behaviour of the ACM radar modes coupled with Magic missiles got me confused:

My flow goes like this:

1. Master arm ON

2. CM to program 4

3. Select Magic with HOTAS

4. Radar ACM mode to boresight using CMD forward

However yesterday, my radar wasn't locking the contact despite being very close and within the boresight symbology. The Magic IR seeker mode was picking up the contact before the radar and weirdly, upon the Magic Slave button press, the radar was locking the contact.

So it was like the other way around. I was picking up the contact with the seeker head first, and then pushing the slave button for radar lock

Is this a bug? Was I doing something wrong?

EDIT: so it is SOLVED!

I asked on the Discord and Helljumper and other guys were super kind replying me. So basically with the Magics you have another sensor to search which their IR head seeker. You can change the pattern by pressing Magic Unlock button. Also you can use your Radar Search patterns using CMS switch. You can use both at the same time and the first getting a lock, will prevent the other one locking as well this is to prevent locking onto different targets and also in order to get sneaky kills.

Then, by pressing Magic Slave button, you will slave the radar to the IR lock or the IR seeker head to the Radar lock.

Edited by Al-Azraq
  • Like 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

4 hours ago, Al-Azraq said:

You can use both at the same time and the first getting a lock, will prevent the other one locking as well this is to prevent locking onto different targets and also in order to get sneaky kills.

Until you are using the Slave function, both are autonomous and could pick up different targets. As you mentioned, it works like 2 sensors, IRST and Radar. Then you can slave one to another once a lock is acquired.

In the case you have 2 different locks (one IR, one Radar), i don't think slave function work though. When it's the case, most of the time i've to break one lock (IR or Radar) and then use the slave function.

I don't know if it's correct behavior. Maybe as function is called Magic Slave, in the case you get 2 locks on different targets, when pressing Magic Slave, Magic seeker should break its lock and try to lock the target locked by radar.

@myHelljumper: do you know if current behavior is correct, or if it's something that will be reviewed with AA radar ?

Edited by Steph21

Hey guys,

Al-Azraq and me discussed this issue on our discord, it's resolved.

The behavior when the MAGIC and radar are locked on two separate contacts is correct, pressing the MAGIC slave command won't have any effect.

You need to first un-lock one of the two to slave it to the other.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA