TF-51D Trim Tabs Movement Direction

Gris
Go to solution Solved by Art-J,

Does anyone else notice that when moving and closely viewing the plane's trim tabs the tabs control surfaces move in the opposite direction to the trim applied? Eg. trim the rudder to the right and it's trim tab moves left (although the aero effect is correct and is as if the tab was moved to the right).  This reverse visual tab action is also on the elevator and ailerons. Is it a bug, does it also happen on the P-51D or with other planes?

6 hours ago, Frederf said:

It's normal. The trim tab "flies" the control surface in the desired direction.

tab1.jpg

I know, the problem is that they visually move in the wrong & opposite direction to their effects, at least for the TF-51D model.

Edit: Correction, sorry I misunderstood what you meant here (I thought the opposing forces of trim tab vs. major control surface would cancel each other out if what you said was the case). 

Edited by Gris
Correction

• Solution
1 hour ago, Gris said:

I know, the problem is that they visually move in the wrong & opposite direction to their effects, at least for the TF-51D model.

No, as Frederf noted, they are animated and work correctly, at least in simulation flight mode. Do you use game flight mode maybe? Although I think trims don't work in that one at all...

Anyway, in both Mustang modules (and other warbirds for that matter) they work as expected. Keep in mind the rotaries in the cockpit indicate not the tabs movement directly, but the airplane response to their movement:

a) rudder rotary right -> rudder tab goes left -> rudder goes right -> plane yaws right (and vice versa);

b) elevator rotary forward -> elevator tab goes up -> elevator goes down -> airplane pitches down (and vice versa);

c) aileron rotary right -> left aileron tab goes up -> left aileron goes down -> plane roll right (and vice versa).

Just tested in latest Open Beta version of the game.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

4 hours ago, Art-J said:

No, as Frederf noted, they are animated and work correctly, at least in simulation flight mode. Do you use game flight mode maybe? Although I think trims don't work in that one at all...

Anyway, in both Mustang modules (and other warbirds for that matter) they work as expected. Keep in mind the rotaries in the cockpit indicate not the tabs movement directly, but the airplane response to their movement:

a) rudder rotary right -> rudder tab goes left -> rudder goes right -> plane yaws right (and vice versa);

b) elevator rotary forward -> elevator tab goes up -> elevator goes down -> airplane pitches down (and vice versa);

c) aileron rotary right -> left aileron tab goes up -> left aileron goes down -> plane roll right (and vice versa).

Just tested in latest Open Beta version of the game.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I was confused that the trim tabs are supposed to move the opposite direction of the larger control surfaces (the larger control surface movement is not visually apparent when trimming).  

Also, I cannot get adequate elevator trim adjustment to maintain level flight, the plane always pitches down (no wind).  Is this normal?

18 hours ago, Gris said:

Also, I cannot get adequate elevator trim adjustment to maintain level flight, the plane always pitches down (no wind).  Is this normal?

That shouldn't happen, that's why I asked if you were using game flight mode or simulation flight mode, because the former is not very well developed and supported in DCS, causing various strange flight issues every now and then. Also, do you use FFB joystick? These are sometimes problematic as well.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, Art-J said:

That shouldn't happen, that's why I asked if you were using game flight mode or simulation flight mode, because the former is not very well developed and supported in DCS, causing various strange flight issues every now and then. Also, do you use FFB joystick? These are sometimes problematic as well.

It was my error (I'm using TF-51D Real - simulation flight mode).  I was not applying trims while simultaneously leveling the plane using the primary control surfaces but thinking trims alone would be sufficient to level the plane.  Hopefully this thread may help others in the forum having trim problems.

Edit: I have a VKB Gladiator joystick (non FB).

Edited by Gris
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

To clarify...  Trim alone should be enough to attain level flight...  at least without flaps/gear/other effects...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)