FC3 War Birds

Callsign112

The idea of an FC3 type product that is warbird centric is a great idea. I, at one point thought it was going to be done then I realized, "Oh no! I am projecting my wishful thinking in to reality" It has been kicked around before... Personally, I think it would be a great idea and it would be in my stable on first day or pre-order. I believe the strength of it would be to add a group of warbirds in to the game that might require less development behind the scenes because they would not be high fidelity. Maybe I am projecting wishful thinking in to reality again. lol

Long story short - I would buy it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

Well, 2 things. 

1) FC3 is basically complete. 

2) Warbirds usually are able to start up within 30 seconds, less if you are quicker and longer if you are slower, so there will be no to minor time saving.

The point wasn't really about speeding up the start up time of the plane, it was about speeding up the development time of making one, and to add a few more planes to the list of whats available while they were at it.

I don't know how much development time ED would save, but you would think there would be some kind of savings if they didn't have to model everything. I am sure a lot of the time needed for development goes into the flight model itself, but there should still be a time savings.

What got me thinking down this line was whether or not doing an FC3 model would help at all in a case where ED wasn't able to get all the documentation it needs for the full model. Like would doing an FC3 ZERO be more feasible than doing a full fidelity model?

And then there is just the simple fact that the FC3 product might appeal to a larger audience if it included a couple of war birds as well. Especially as a product aimed at drawing more people into the SIM world. But yeah I never considered that FC3 might already be a finished product.

1 hour ago, Callsign112 said:

I don't know how much development time ED would save, but you would think there would be some kind of savings if they didn't have to model everything. I am sure a lot of the time needed for development goes into the flight model itself, but there should still be a time savings.

It would probably not even save a lot of time if you think about it. 

The switches and all that still need to be modeled for the 3d model. Textures of course too. 

System wise, there are very few around, but those who are around are essential (coolers, engine, hydraulic/pneumatic etc.) so those would have to be modeled aswell, preferably well. They are also mostly simple enough, no need to make it even simpler. Since most systems are simple or automatised in warbirds, automatising something simple or already automatic could just aswell consume more time. 

Flight model wise, FC3 has been reworked and brought up to a certain standard. Making a simple flight model would not be great for warbirds. A little discrepancy in performance might be okay, but would be pretty quickly debunked by the community and then, hopefully, corrected.

So the only difference would be the animations of the switches right now, which is not the biggest thing to do. Well, okay. There are even animated switches in FC3 planes, so only thing left is the interaction with the mouse. 

So all in all, while FC3 style might work for modernish jets, simplifying already rather easy system/planes doesnt seem like a feasable/good idea. 

Edited by razo+r