HMD reticles jumping to HUD's bore automatically with sensor priority on HMD

oldcrusty

This is more annoying then 'blanking'.  When looking forward, within few degrees from HUD frame, the reticle jumps making it impossible to lock anything within this area. You have to point the jet either toward a target (bore) or further away to the side of the target to use HMD. It's wasted time.

Applies to all reticles, HACQ, LACQ, Aim9x.

It's not correct from what I heard. No, I don't have any docs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Anti-Vehicle said:

I have a feeling this is "Correct as is". But I am curious to see other people's response.

It's not correct as is, at least not in actuality. The problem lies in convincing ED to do the work without hard evidence beyond anecdotes

• Like 4

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team

I will ask the team, but without any evidence I am reluctant to push for changes.

I have been on to many wild geese chases that turned out to be correct as is and I have to be mindful about wasting dev time.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will ask the team, but without any evidence I am reluctant to push for changes.

I have been on to many wild geese chases that turned out to be correct as is and I have to be mindful about wasting dev time.

I assume ED still has some hornet SMEs they can ask. Perhaps tie in with them first?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

It's not correct as is, at least not in actuality. The problem lies in convincing ED to do the work without hard evidence beyond anecdotes

So what if pilot is maintaining a radar target lock with AIM-9X selected? Will the radar slew the seeker to target no matter where pilot is looking at?

Currently the seeker is only slewed to target if HMD is facing HUD, which is a little bit counter intuitive because I want to keep my eyes on the target but also have seeker look at target.

Edited by Dr. Anti-Vehicle

11 minutes ago, Dr. Anti-Vehicle said:

So what if pilot is maintaining a radar target lock with AIM-9X selected? Will the radar slew the seeker to target no matter where pilot is looking at?

Currently the seeker is only slewed to target if HMD is facing HUD, which is a little bit counter intuitive because I want to keep my eyes on the target but also have seeker look at target.

That doesn't sound right at all

When the HMD is turned on, the radar and seeker FOV are slaved to the HMD line of sight if AIM-9 and HACQ are selected (just using this particular scenario).  The pilot can uncage the seeker on the target using cage/uncage or let the radar lock the target and then the seeker will begin to track the radar's target provided a few things are met - but in general, it tracks it.  The pilot can then cage (one push) the seeker back to his/her HMD and the seeker will track the HMD LOS while the radar tracks the target until uncaged on another target or if no target in the seeker FOV, an uncage will send it back to the radar's target and attempt to track.  At no point does the HMD radar acq circle or AIM-9 seeker snap forward to the HUD and back to 'normal' boresight when the HMD LOS is calculated to be through the HUD or 'blanked'.  It works like you think it should work, and the seeker LOS is controlled by the cage/uncage button when there is a track.  Current implementation is incorrect, not necessarily a bug.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

@BIGNEWY refer to above post by Mo, real Hornet pilot. While this is being worked on it'd also be nice to fix the incorrect cage/Uncage behavior and L&S slave logic which I've reported before but I'll avoid going off on a tangent there (tl;dr the seeker/LnS angles are not being constantly checked), which is mostly also summed up by Mo there.

1 hour ago, Dr. Anti-Vehicle said:

I've reported this issue before and to keep it short and sweet, as Mo mentioned, it's always slaved to the L&S unless you hit cage/uncage, doesn't matter where the head is at all.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Any progress on this? I personally find this one of the most annoying issues in PvP A/A fights since if a bandit is coming at you at close range in that space between HUD and HMD it's impossible to lock him unless you completely turn off blanking which is a pretty bad solution.

Edited by Ghosty141
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghosty141 said:

Any progress on this? I personally find this one of the most annoying issues in PvP A/A fights since if a bandit is coming at you at close range in that space between HUD and HMD it's impossible to lock him unless you completely turn off blanking which is a pretty bad solution.

There's some improvement. Currently the jump starts on the HUD frame. There is no blind band around the frame. If you already have a lock on the target outside of the HUD (HACQ) and maneuver with the HUD FOV passing across the target, there is no jump. Same goes for the Aim9 seeker. 

For me, the blanking part is and always was most annoying. Overlapping symbology. The blanking starts after the center of HMD display hits the HUD's frame. It would make a huge difference if any part of the JHMCS display was not allowed to cross HUD FOV, except the target and reticle symbology (radar/missile seeker). With JHMCS enabled, I would plaster all targeting and target symbology on it, transitioning smoothly through the HUD FOV, without any duplicate on HUD. Press the 'pinky' and all this stuff goes to HUD. HACQ again, it goes back to HMD. That's for radar, heat seeker would follow the HMD aim and function as Mo410 described. Well, let me dream... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1