32GB RAM preferred?

image.pngSo looking at this, it looks like 16GB of RAM isn't quite enough for DCS at 1440p.  This is while running a Liberation mission in the Viper.

Every 2-3 seconds there's a slight performance dip.  It slows down for about 2sec and then goes back to running smoothly.  This is constant so far.

Thinking of  upgrading to 32GB.

• Like 1

Probably, yes. The only way to find out for certain is to suck it and see, and if it doesn't solve the problem, you just burned through some cash. I'm only using 16GB RAM with an 11GB graphics card (1080 Ti) and performance is pretty good. I'm running a 2560 x 1440 single screen.

If you try it, keep us posted, I wanna know how it goes 🙂

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I have like 80, DCS runs ok.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Probably, yes. The only way to find out for certain is to suck it and see, and if it doesn't solve the problem, you just burned through some cash. I'm only using 16GB RAM with an 11GB graphics card (1080 Ti) and performance is pretty good. I'm running a 2560 x 1440 single screen.

If you try it, keep us posted, I wanna know how it goes

AD
Well, I went and found a DCS graphics optimization post on another forum and now have great frames. I also have a non-TI 1080 w/an 8700k. My RAM is also really slow, just 2400.

Game even looks better too!

So I think I can postpone the RAM upgrade for now. I also moved my pagefile off my old HDD and put it on my nvme drive - that REALLY helped (I was really confused why my HDD was getting accessed so much and at high loads causing serious performance issues).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I have 32 Gb ram but I don't play SP other than for testing when new update released and in some populate server like hoggit, DCS could eat 28 Gb of RAM even more. so if you have some money to burn why not ?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

That's good to know. I don't play MP or have the system to really do VR.

Wanted to upgrade with AMD and a 3080 this year but we all know how that market is.

I'm probably going to wait until the next iterations of CPUs and GPUs come out and hope for better supply.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, CybrSlydr said:

Well, I went and found a DCS graphics optimization post on another forum and now have great frames. I also have a non-TI 1080 w/an 8700k. My RAM is also really slow, just 2400.

Game even looks better too!

So I think I can postpone the RAM upgrade for now. I also moved my pagefile off my old HDD and put it on my nvme drive - that REALLY helped (I was really confused why my HDD was getting accessed so much and at high loads causing serious performance issues).

I have my paging file (32 GB) on my NVMe drive as well. That probably helps.

What graphics settings did you change to get a large improvement in FPS?

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I have my paging file (32 GB) on my NVMe drive as well. That probably helps.

What graphics settings did you change to get a large improvement in FPS?

AD
https://www.il2aceshigh.com/71stsowroster/m/54414425/viewthread/33565723-dcs-27-graphics-options-recommendations-by-benchboy/filter/most-views

That's the thread I found.

Put everything on low and then pick and choose what to increase.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:35 PM, CybrSlydr said:

Every 2-3 seconds there's a slight performance dip.  It slows down for about 2sec and then goes back to running smoothly.  This is constant so far.

What are your advanced power settings on?

I had this problem after building a new PC (3070 and 32gb) and found that with my advanced power settings set to balanced I had this issue, when I set them to high the frequent 'dips' disappeared.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.