Stand Alone Mission Editor.

Bulldog_1

A standalone Mission Editor that can be loaded onto a separate computer, I-Pad, or Android tablet. This will provide the ability to create missions when you are not sitting at your SIM or you are away from home.

Edited by Bulldog_1
  • Like 2

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

I don't know, a large part of building missions is testing them. You won't be able to test them if it's a Standalone app. If you have a laptop (especially one that can actually run DCS). You can also make missions while away from home. That's probably as mobile as you will ever get with DCS and it's Mission Editor.

3 hours ago, KIllshot0597 said:

I don't know, a large part of building missions is testing them. You won't be able to test them if it's a Standalone app. If you have a laptop (especially one that can actually run DCS). You can also make missions while away from home. That's probably as mobile as you will ever get with DCS and it's Mission Editor.

While I do agree with you (testing is maybe even the largest and most time consuming part of mission editing), for me personally a stand alone mission editor would be nice to have.

My situation:

• My VR setup is not at all meant (ergonomic) for long sessions of 2D monitor (ME) work.
  • For mission editing I use my work laptop, in the same room but obviously on a proper desk.
  • For mission testing, I use my VR setup (2 meters next to my laptop)

My laptop DCS install is now over 200GB iirc, even though I only use the mission editor. Would be nice to have the option to decrease that size a bit.

I suppose that to get it to work for Android and iOS, it would require a lot of programming (which imo would be a waste of resources)

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

10 hours ago, sirrah said:

While I do agree with you (testing is maybe even the largest and most time consuming part of mission editing), for me personally a stand alone mission editor would be nice to have.

My situation:

• My VR setup is not at all meant (ergonomic) for long sessions of 2D monitor (ME) work.
  • For mission editing I use my work laptop, in the same room but obviously on a proper desk.
  • For mission testing, I use my VR setup (2 meters next to my laptop)

My laptop DCS install is now over 200GB iirc, even though I only use the mission editor. Would be nice to have the option to decrease that size a bit.

I suppose that to get it to work for Android and iOS, it would require a lot of programming (which imo would be a waste of resources)

Much the same for me, in addition, I spend a lot of time away from home and when I am home I just want to fly, not create a mission. I spend enough time doing computer updates as it is. An I-Pad or Android version would probably work best.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

2 hours ago, Bulldog_1 said:

Much the same for me, in addition, I spend a lot of time away from home and when I am home I just want to fly, not create a mission. I spend enough time doing computer updates as it is. An I-Pad or Android version would probably work best.

I too would love this. Even just a slimmed down implementation that can run on a non-gaming laptop using an igpu and a reasonable amount of RAM. I often am not really interested in testing missions or even the quality of the models when I start building and placing units, statics, writing scripts... All that can be time consuming and take days or even weeks until I'm at a test phase. It would be nice to be able to start building missions, get the bones built out in a less demanding environment. It's something I could work on from my laptop while I watch tv, travel in an airport, get bored in a hotel. All of which I'm not interested in buying an expensive laptop that I don't really need or want to do.

Obviously I don't consider it a high priority development item, it's a niche use case. But it would be a nice to have thing.

• Like 1

12900K | MSI Z690 | STRIX RTX3090 | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz | NVMe Storage gen3 | Custom Loop | Valve Index