I tried this little plane.. and I like it

Andy1966

To make a long story shorter, I Got the I-16 about 1 or two years ago and and only did a few quick start missions, and it was in the hanger since. life got in the way and sim time got short, and my computer died and so I built a new one. I never did a landing and only a few air starts, as the Jug took up most of my small amount of flight time lately. 

So, the other day I wanted to fly slow around the Channel map, and look around, so I thought it would be a good time to try the I-16 or Yak again. I loaded a mission, and mapped the I-16.  well, 2 crashes and a quick manual brush up later, I flew this mission. My first take off and landing! what a blast it was! wow it is twitchy on the ground, but wonderful to fly in the air. I never even used the landing gear before, so I was working off of what little memory I had. But any way, I got in the air (barely) then was like, OK... so now I need to raise the gear and about crashed doing it...so I managed to get the gear up... I had planned to fly around for awhile, so I took drop tanks... (never used them before) and 4 rockets for the experience, as I had never used them either. so, I'm flying down the coast from Manston, looking at all the controls, as I was really still unsure of them and what they all did.

Then... oh no! what happened?  … the engine started running really bad... Dammit I blew it up, but wait a minute, let me check a few things, so I dropped tanks and checked, Mags, fuel and blower and mixture. All ok. So rough on both mags and losing rpms and manifold pressure.. Drat!... Dammit man, turn around and head back to Manston... I really need to get rid of these rockets...wow its running bad, the whole airplane is lurching as it misses and turns on and off, I expected it to quit any second. Airfield in sight! I line up in an easy right turn... FINAL... oh no, I NEED TO GET THE GEAR DOWN! mind ya I never lowered the gear, or landed this plane before, I was freaking out...OK gear down... then I made the mistake of lowering the flaps and stalled about 40 ft over the runway... I dumped it on the runway, and the gear held..  right wing down and ground loop, I was down safe! Taxied away.

Post flight debrief, I believe I over boosted the engine as I had no idea of power settings, and the engine failed soon after I switched the blower, or as it was too hot, then I opened coolers, then forgot to close them after the engine cooled off, so I may have over cooled it. That was a fun flight, as the unexpected problems really test one's skills and reminded me of why DCS is still my favorite sim.

the track file is too big I need to cut 1.6 meg to post it, I'm working on it

Edit: I finally figured out how to post this track

my 3rd I16 flight sick eng.trk.lnk

Edited by Andy1966
attach track
  • Like 5

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, Andy1966 said:

To make a long story shorter, I Got the I-16 about 1 or two years ago and and only did a few quick start missions, and it was in the hanger since. life got in the way and sim time got short, and my computer died and so I built a new one. I never did a landing and only a few air starts, as the Jug took up most of my small amount of flight time lately. 

So, the other day I wanted to fly slow around the Channel map, and look around, so I thought it would be a good time to try the I-16 or Yak again. I loaded a mission, and mapped the I-16.  well, 2 crashes and a quick manual brush up later, I flew this mission. My first take off and landing! what a blast it was! wow it is twitchy on the ground, but wonderful to fly in the air. I never even used the landing gear before, so I was working off of what little memory I had. But any way, I got in the air (barely) then was like, OK... so now I need to raise the gear and about crashed doing it...so I managed to get the gear up... I had planned to fly around for awhile, so I took drop tanks... (never used them before) and 4 rockets for the experience, as I had never used them either. so, I'm flying down the coast from Manston, looking at all the controls, as I was really still unsure of them and what they all did.

Then... oh no! what happened?  … the engine started running really bad... Dammit I blew it up, but wait a minute, let me check a few things, so I dropped tanks and checked, Mags, fuel and blower and mixture. All ok. So rough on both mags and losing rpms and manifold pressure.. Drat!... Dammit man, turn around and head back to Manston... I really need to get rid of these rockets...wow its running bad, the whole airplane is lurching as it misses and turns on and off, I expected it to quit any second. Airfield in sight! I line up in an easy right turn... FINAL... oh no, I NEED TO GET THE GEAR DOWN! mind ya I never lowered the gear, or landed this plane before, I was freaking out...OK gear down... then I made the mistake of lowering the flaps and stalled about 40 ft over the runway... I dumped it on the runway, and the gear held..  right wing down and ground loop, I was down safe! Taxied away.

Post flight debrief, I believe I over boosted the engine as I had no idea of power settings, and the engine failed soon after I switched the blower, or as it was too hot, then I opened coolers, then forgot to close them after the engine cooled off, so I may have over cooled it. That was a fun flight, as the unexpected problems really test one's skills and reminded me of why DCS is still my favorite sim.

the track file is too big I need to cut 1.6 meg to post it, I'm working on it

Edit: I finally figured out how to post this track

my 3rd I16 flight sick eng.trk.lnk 657 B · 13 downloads

Enjoyed your story with the I-16 mostly because I can relate to the circumstances. I too bought this plane several months ago, and other than doing a few laps around an airfield on the Caucasus map, I haven't even opened the user manual yet. Reading your story gives me the encouragement to get back to it though. 

• Like 2