DCS: Apache and current DCS IR/NVG imaging simulation.

Focha

Hi all,

Will there be any improvement in the IR imaging with the upcoming DCS: AH-64D?

Also, about the NVG effects, will there be any difference in simulating that?

There were a already a lot of changes as time goes by, some more apraized that others, I would really like to know, if possible, if there are going to be any differences with this module as it depends heavily on its ability to use those imaging tools.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

• Like 1

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

IR is in progress for the core DCS, it is unknown if it is ready when Apache hits EA. There is some hope as the IR image in one of recent screenshot appears to differ to what we see in DCS today. Time will show. 

I wouldn't mind if the new IR came before Apache though. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Indeed, it would be really great if we could have new IR imagery before the Apache module is released.

That said, I wonder if it wouldn't be more appropriate to fix a problem that has been dragging on for 3 years already? Isn't it time to finally solve the FLIR problem? Because it's really a shame that we have to fly modern and high-tech aircraft at noon and without cloud cover because the FLIR bug doesn't allow us to use the sensors to their full potential... 

I was literally about to post this question myself.

Are we going to see the new FLIR modeling drop with the Apache for EA or it still going to use the legacy FLIR modeling? They've been telling us about the new FLIR graphics for a while now and we're still waiting. Going to be incredibly disappointed if the Apache is going to be stuck with the old model.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:01 AM, Gierasimov said:

IR is in progress for the core DCS, it is unknown if it is ready when Apache hits EA. There is some hope as the IR image in one of recent screenshot appears to differ to what we see in DCS today. Time will show. 

I wouldn't mind if the new IR came before Apache though. 

If you're talking about that B&W center MFD screenshot, that image reminds me very much of what the A-10C has had with it's LITENING pod since it's release a decade ago.

Apart from the extra challenge, why would you fly night missions in DCS World?

This is a serious question. In RL scenarios, night missions make sense as you are automatically eliminating optical sensors (primarily the Mk1 eyeball) from the equation. I.E. your enemies can't see you.

In DCS World, the AI can see in all weather, during the day and during the night. (Although they should not be able to see through clouds at some point, at least according to ED devs this is supposed to be coming in an incoming patch, let's hope that this is coming sooner rather than later)

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

53 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Apart from the extra challenge, why would you fly night missions in DCS World?

This is a serious question. In RL scenarios, night missions make sense as you are automatically eliminating optical sensors (primarily the Mk1 eyeball) from the equation. I.E. your enemies can't see you.

In DCS World, the AI can see in all weather, during the day and during the night. (Although they should not be able to see through clouds at some point, at least according to ED devs this is supposed to be coming in an incoming patch, let's hope that this is coming sooner rather than later)

Last time I tried it, AI detection range was very reduced at night. I could fly less than 2 km away from a ZSU 23-2 and it wouldn't see me at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

Last time I tried it, AI detection range was very reduced at night. I could fly less than 2 km away from a ZSU 23-2 and it wouldn't see me at all.

Oh cool. I didn't know that. Thanks. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Am 31.8.2021 um 10:33 schrieb Lurker:

Actually, the AI has a lot of things factored into the "detection" of enemies. Light is just one variable.

Contrast against background, fog/weather reducing visibility (range) and factors like "has another aircraft of your flight already been spotted" all factors into the equation how long it takes the AI to spot you, if you are in range of the available sensors.

What we underestimate is that AI groups have radios, as well, so if one Tank spots an enemy aircraft, the whole group is aware. A large group of 4 aircraft together is more likely to be spotted as a single plane. Front/side/rear, movement and aspect affects time to detection, as well.

Modern combat vehicles like T-72, BMP-2 or newer have IR optics and even without a zoomed optic can identify an enemy at range.

The most important thing to keep mind is, if you fly or hover in front of an enemy group for 5 minutes and you are in range of their sensors, even if it is Mk I eyeballs, they will spot you sooner or later if they have LOS, no matter what.

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Speaking of FLIR optics, I found this treasure on youtube.  I don't imagine these modernized systems will be in our Apache, but feast your eyeballs:

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

18 hours ago, AlphaOneSix said:

Maybe they will implement the newer white phosphor goggles 😄

Lol, yeah with our current NV model, just use white saran wrap. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

yea the new Nightvision/ FLIR rendering engine was supposed to have come with the F/A18's ATFLIR.... 

• Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 9/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, falcon_120 said:

Have you seen the latest teaser? Kind of looks like some improvements are there...

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Hard to say really. But lets hope.

Frankly more importantly we need IR missiles in IRST fixed so they don't track through clouds... 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 9/3/2021 at 7:35 PM, falcon_120 said:

Have you seen the latest teaser? Kind of looks like some improvements are there...

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Ehhhhhh. Infantry shows up better, explosion kinda better. But everything else is the same. Trees stand out way too much, terrain looks like a color overlay, like now, perfect crisp clear picture with perfect contrast between different objects, FLIR not really affected by the bright explosion. Looks like the current shader, with some minor tweaks. Hopefully...

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It’s the new thermal engine in the teaser.  Looks great and good progress in the right direction.  Wip obviously,  goes without saying you can see trees and sometimes perfect outlines and details in real world systems I used as a ground guy.  Progress is on this and the weather system I imagine is linked as far as development goes.  Exciting

• Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S