Litening pod poor contrast/generally useless?

Anyone else finding it hard to locate much of anything with the pod? I find the display gives very poor contrast. Even in white or black mode it's almost impossible to find tanks etc. because the display is very washed out.

Know issue? Work in progress?

Thanks

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I've noticed it with Mavericks as well, especially the IR Maverick. The IR version absolutely will not lock on anything. I wonder if it's something that somebody else has solved?

C'mon ED, it's a big-time module, fix all this already! How hard could it be?

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

This thread is about the Litening II Targeting Pod and not the IR-Mavs.

The quality of the TGP's CCD feed doesn't even come close to the ancient Zenith BW TV I watched as a kid in the 60's. The contrast is almost non-existent; it's just a green-gray garble of splotchy nothing. The only time I ever use it is if the targets are on a road or parking lot in bright sunlight. Otherwise I almost only ever use IR with Black-Hot. 

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

This is a known issue that I brought up a while ago.  ED's only response is that they're supposedly working on a new FLIR system, but as was pointed out, we don't need a new FLIR, we just need them to fix what they broke with the current system.

There have been no fixes in the most recent updates and the TGP and MAV are still essentially useless under most conditions.

Personally, I can't wait for the disappointment with the new "FLIR" system... 

It might be a bit more amusing if the posters whining in this thread had some basic clue as to what "thermal contrast" was. And how it might relate to time of day.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

the FLIR systems in this sim are not thermal imaging devices. they are infrared. they merely 'see' IR reflections off targets. IR is blocked by clouds and buildings just like other light.

good reading and possibly some education found here.

What’s The Difference between Thermal Imaging and Night Vision?

Can Thermal Imaging See Through Fog and Rain?

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Make TGP SOI and adjust the Gain value. I find it easier on something like 6 instead of 4.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

They've yet to make a satellite that can see through clouds with a digital camera using optical light. The only way you're going to get those kind of sensors to track in clouds is if its tied in to some radar painted picture, and even then an IR laser is still going to degrade through cloud layers. Hell even the newest version of the litening pod can see in color.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

48 minutes ago, DAZnBLAST said:

Make TGP SOI and adjust the Gain value. I find it easier on something like 6 instead of 4.

Adjusting the gain does not rectify the broken TGP imaging problem, it only alters the overall image on the MFD.

14 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Personally, I can't wait for the disappointment with the new "FLIR" system... 

It might be a bit more amusing if the posters whining in this thread had some basic clue as to what "thermal contrast" was. And how it might relate to time of day.

Identifying a major problem and asking ED to fix what they broke is not whining.  And it has nothing to do with time of day, the TGP and MAV imaging are currently inaccurate under all conditions.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, silverdevil said:

the FLIR systems in this sim are not thermal imaging devices. they are infrared. they merely 'see' IR reflections off targets. IR is blocked by clouds and buildings just like other light.

good reading and possibly some education found here.

What’s The Difference between Thermal Imaging and Night Vision?

Can Thermal Imaging See Through Fog and Rain?

The FLIR's we have in the game are either MWIR or LWIR imagers, so very much Thermal Imaging Devices. How well thats actually modeled (poorly tbh) is a whole other conversation. And yes thermal reflections are very much a thing, especially during the day since Mr. Sun is the biggest IR source on earth. 

21 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Adjusting the gain does not rectify the broken TGP imaging problem, it only alters the overall image on the MFD.

Identifying a major problem and asking ED to fix what they broke is not whining.  And it has nothing to do with time of day, the TGP and MAV imaging are currently inaccurate under all conditions.

Fair enough if it is a bug. But I find most people expectations of what FLIR can or can't do to be hillariously wrong. "Magic predator vision" generally speaking isn't, and almost any video posted is laughably out of context. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Harl,

TGP FLIR Broken

Caldera

Yeah I get this one is bugged, my comments are more general how TGP's are presented in DCS as well as alot of players expectations. Kind of like the whole ground radar finding tanks fiasco.

Edited by Harlikwin

As explained to me in a similar discussion years ago, the FLIR in DCS isn't actually "looking at IR", it is displaying, as best I can think to describe it, baked-in images, that get borked almost every time there is an update to the maps or the map system, as it is part of the map coding itself. This is like what, the third time the FLIR has been crippled by changes in the maps?  This is also why it seems to be hit-or-miss with some maps having an issue but not others, and takes so long to fix. There was one time that vehicles were simply invisible to the TGP no matter what map/mode you were in, and in 1.1 you could see vehicles through even the heaviest cloud cover, as clouds did not show up on the TGP at all in IR. Currently, the FLIR is not a separate autonomous sub system in the sim, it's just a graphics display receiving map data and hard coded visuals/animations for objects. I am hoping they are working on a true subsystem for FLIR that will work accurately in all aircraft. I don't know programming to know if or how they could get away from translating map data in some ways, but it should be it's own system enough to avoid bugging out when there are map changes, at least.

• Like 1

It is not super easy to find target only using the TGP.

I prefer to look out of the side of the cockpit and when I see something usefull, slew the TGP to HMCS cursor. Then it is pretty easy to locate targets. 

• Like 3

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR