Is ED letting down their VR customers?? Yes I'm venting!

RackMonkey

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

With all of that said, one big drawback of VR still remains, that I struggle with daily. However it's got nothing to do with DCS World. How do you guys keep from getting a damn sweaty face when your G2 heats up and gets all nice and toasty? 🙂

I have a Mitsubishi ductless air conditioning unit mounted on the wall behind my desk blowing directly down on me.

Have never broke a sweat in any of my VR devices.

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

With all of that said, one big drawback of VR still remains, that I struggle with daily. However it's got nothing to do with DCS World. How do you guys keep from getting a damn sweaty face when your G2 heats up and gets all nice and toasty? 🙂

I have an oscillating, squirrel cage fan in my gaming/workshop area.  Pumps out lots of air while still being very quiet.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Ok three possible solutions, but I still see a problem. All of this moving air is cooling the rest of your head/body, but how do you cool your face "under" the G2 face mask? Do you guys drill holes or something? In my case this is the part that gets sweaty and uncomfortable basically just the area of my face that's underneath the masked part. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I'm not fat or anything, never been prone to breaking out in sweat either. I wonder if I'm maybe strapping it on a bit too tightly to my face....

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

that can be a problem , i find if its too tight my vision blurs slightly 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

The moving air is all it takes in my case to keep me cool, even inside the headset.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I also use a fan that blows air directly onto me. But even with that, I usually avoid flying in DCS on the hottest of days. Luckily those are pretty rare where I live.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

14 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I also use a fan that blows air directly onto me. But even with that, I usually avoid flying in DCS on the hottest of days. Luckily those are pretty rare where I live.

I have my air-conditioner installed just above my PC desk. 😆

22 hours ago, Lurker said:

Ok three possible solutions, but I still see a problem. All of this moving air is cooling the rest of your head/body, but how do you cool your face "under" the G2 face mask? Do you guys drill holes or something? In my case this is the part that gets sweaty and uncomfortable basically just the area of my face that's underneath the masked part. 

Hope someday the VR headset will be like a sunglass that we could casually put on (with wireless 8k streaming), haha. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

12 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Hope someday the VR headset will be like a sunglass that we could casually put on (with wireless 8k streaming), haha. 

There's a company working on a civilian version of a JHMCS that is essentially like a pair of sunglasses, so that might not be far off.

53 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I have my air-conditioner installed just above my PC desk. 😆

Perhaps Facebook are taking the first steps now with Ray-Ban.

https://www.facebook.com/4/videos/388482975992028/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 9/16/2021 at 7:39 AM, Lurker said:

Just to report back, I've managed to get pretty decent performance from my G2, it's now at the same level as I used to have in Rift S at the cost of some lowered in-game graphical settings, but a much higher resolution. The clarity difference is night and day though, even though the sweet spot is smaller. To me it's also more comfortable due to my IPD which is probably very near or even maybe slightly higher than 68cms. In the Rift S this was causing a bit of eye strain. With the G2 that is also gone, which is a big relief. 

A little caveat. I could probably get this performance to go even a bit higher with mods, but I dislike mods in DCS for one very simple reason. It's hard enough enjoying and playing the beta with the constant tinkering to the "vanilla" beta game, and this beta gets patches pretty often so I'd much rather not deal with potential problems\repairs etc.

As for shimmering. A lot of it can be eliminated by MSAA x2 and supersampling using Pixel Density in game, or SteamVR resolution per eye etc. It's a tradeoff. While it is annoying, I have managed to get it down to a very acceptable level. Much more so than in the Rift S. Yes there are problematic static models in the game, the powerlines and towers come to mind, but happily they do not shimmer nearly as badly now as they used to, which does mean that the devs are making tweaks here and there. 

Finally VR improvements are coming. It's beyond insane at the amount of pure horsepower that we keep throwing at this game and it keeps asking for more. The devs are aware, and the entire engine is getting some big rewrites. Don't expect miracles people, but as someone who bought a 3090RTX purely for DCS VR, as have many here, I think that they know how disappointed we are all going to be if something is not done about this. The graphics market is not exactly very consumer friendly at the moment what with all the price hikes, and hardware shortages. We just need a little patience. 

I think I am lucky enough to have a well-ventilated space and, when it does start getting warm, I turn on a little desk fan that I have on the floor, pointed directly up at me, and generally cool down in a couple minutes. Plus I can pretend the wind is blowing through my hair for a little bit 😛

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

May be it is just me or does anyone notice that the VR performance has gone better, may be slightly in the latest OB?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I fly the Mi-8...a lot. So when I get hot I just open the window. (I turn on the fan under my desk that blows from the general direction of the window.)

I've actually been thinking of disassembling my G2 and creating a "heat vent" above the left eye. It seem that's the spot that generates the most heat. I have to wonder why HP didn't create a way to vent the heat generated by the electronics in the headset? 

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

On 9/17/2021 at 5:43 PM, VFGiPJP said:

May be it is just me or does anyone notice that the VR performance has gone better, may be slightly in the latest OB?

I haven't done any measurable tests yet but I did notice improvement when I started a mission on carrier deck at night with all the flood lights on. Previously, (tbh, I'm not sure if the last patch fixed this or the earlier ones) the flood lights in combination with 'boatload' of junk piled up all over the boat, caused noticeable FPS drop and stutter on my rig.

Since I only play SP now, using my own mission setups (no ED missions or campaigns), I have everything maxed out in settings except no in game AA, aniso set to 16. Running G2 in native res, no motion smoothing, no 'advanced' supersampling in VR setup. I recently tried setting Nvidia AA to x8 and transparency to SS x8 and it seems to be running fine and looks good enough for me.. I didn't even bother looking at FPS... I'm happy (in SP😉) I'm slightly behind the curve on graphics tweaking and I always thought that Nvidia AA settings had no effect on DCS even when set to 'enhance...'

The only time I saw stutter was when I attempted to create "iron dome' on Syrian map, with hundreds of air defense units and batteries and bunch of AI jets.  It was still playable.

I love how this thread has devolved into a best HVAC for VR comparison. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 8/29/2021 at 8:20 PM, C3PO said:

Without wanting to sound annoying, you need to go nVidia. 3090 and it runs brilliantly with a G2. I’m sure things will get optimised in game too. 

This is probably where I will go next, but not at todays silly prices.

I expect the 3090 to bring me to where I was pre Tree and cloud update.... excess 10 fps max in complex low level chopper warfare!

For VR to work, I must stop waiting for the DCS VR software.

I now have to stop buying modules that I do not need. To stop supporting the community unless specific to my requirements (choppers and ugra maps). 

I must now start concentrating on the hardware to run the awesome DCS world correctly in VR.

However.... Very glad I squeezed the Mozzie in before my new commitments!

Nice reassuring hum through the jet seat whilst flying her..... man are you cramped to the left window in this twin prop plane!

Fabulous looking module.

Surely an Me BF 110 would be sweet.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

12 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

I love how this thread has devolved into a best HVAC for VR comparison. 

Well, it does say "venting" in the subject line.  🤪

• Like 3