Rocket sequence bug

SuumCuique

Rocket pods on the Mi-8 do not work as expected. The size of a salvo changes, even if the trigger is held down long enough.

Trigger pull rockets fired
1 4
2 4
3 4
4 3
5 0
6 0
7 0
8 0
9 4
10 1

I would expect it to shoot 4 rockets each salvo and empty one pod in 5 salvos. The bug appears on all stations. Similarly weird results appear also in a 4 rocket pod configuration.

rocket_bug_mi-8.trk

• Like 1

I'm not sure what happened but your track shows a grounded Mi-8 with empty pylons.

Can you please explain how to reproduce the issue? On my end, when I press the trigger, two rockets come out (one from each side), and it's the same thing everytime.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Now with an air spawn:

I arm the weapons, select the appropriate stations and fire. I hold the fire button down for 1 second, to ensure the entire salvo is fired. The first 3 salvos work fine, the fourth is only 3 rockets, nothing happens on the fifth trigger pull, the sixth shoots 4 rockets again and the seventh fires 1 rocket. 

rocket_issue_flight.trk

I've not noted the exact figures, but i have experienced what seems like this issue.

Especially when using illumination rockets on Georgia at War during night ops.

Sometimes too many rockets seem to fire, sometimes none will fire.

• Like 1

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

On 9/3/2021 at 2:03 AM, SuumCuique said:

Now with an air spawn:

I arm the weapons, select the appropriate stations and fire. I hold the fire button down for 1 second, to ensure the entire salvo is fired. The first 3 salvos work fine, the fourth is only 3 rockets, nothing happens on the fifth trigger pull, the sixth shoots 4 rockets again and the seventh fires 1 rocket. 

rocket_issue_flight.trk 115.97 kB · 4 downloads

I had similar issue, but turns out it was caused by launch button loosing connection for a fraction of a second. I use the red button on top of my Warthog stick - it's quite stiff and I wasn't pressing it strong enough, so even If it inadvertently stopped sending signal once during the whole 1 second press, the PUS system broke the launch sequence in the middle of a salvo and all remainng rockets would fire out of sync from then on. No idea if it's realistic or not.

I've just played the mission zipped in your replay track above, made sure I was pressing the launch button long and strong enough and can confirm 5 proper salvos were launched. Maybe your button doesn't work correctly? I'd suggest temporarily remapping your launch function to the other one and checking what happens then.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

For this test I used the space bar and held it down for 1 second per salvo. In the cockpit you can see that the launch button is held down without interruption. It is also not a one-off instance but perfectly reproduceable. I have never managed to empty the entire rocket pod with 5 presses of the fire button, which should be possible. 

I have been experiencing this same issue. I have held the launch button indefinitely and have tested on both the TM Warthog and Virpil CM2 sticks. The behaviour is as described; the rockets will launch for the first several presses and then nothing happens for the next several attempts. I usually circle back around and press a few more times until rockets start firing again.

Is it cool down behaviour, perhaps?

16 hours ago, Art-J said:

I had similar issue, but turns out it was caused by launch button loosing connection for a fraction of a second. I use the red button on top of my Warthog stick - it's quite stiff and I wasn't pressing it strong enough, so even If it inadvertently stopped sending signal once during the whole 1 second press, the PUS system broke the launch sequence in the middle of a salvo and all remainng rockets would fire out of sync from then on. No idea if it's realistic or not.

I've just played the mission zipped in your replay track above, made sure I was pressing the launch button long and strong enough and can confirm 5 proper salvos were launched. Maybe your button doesn't work correctly? I'd suggest temporarily remapping your launch function to the other one and checking what happens then.

Do you mind sending me a track file. No matter what I tried, I always had this issue, no matter what I tried. 

I've attached two tracks, one on the ground and one in the air.

Both tracks exhibit the same behaviour where, after so many launches, the rockets stop firing for until I press 3-4 times. Throughout the launches, however, the number of rockets reduces and increases. I have no issues with the duration of which I am pressing the Release Weapons button. The timing is consistent with other successful launches.

FirstMip.trk SecondMip.trk

5 hours ago, SuumCuique said:

Do you mind sending me a track file. No matter what I tried, I always had this issue, no matter what I tried. 

My track attached below, playing mission taken directly from yours. I'm on latest Open Beta. 5 salvos launched allright. 

Couldn't try doing the same with Colin's tracks above, because I don't own Syria map.

Maybe you use some custom mods or lua edits which migth inadvertently affect Mi-8?

Suum_rockets.trk

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks, for both showing me that it works and what I was missing. 

I never pressed the FCU arm (ПУС) button. Never in one year of flying the Mi-8. I must have skipped/forgotten/dismissed as a BIT. It "worked" without it. So I assumed it was a bug in DCS. Thanks for correcting me.

The thread can be closed.

Edited by SuumCuique

3 hours ago, Art-J said:

My track attached below, playing mission taken directly from yours. I'm on latest Open Beta. 5 salvos launched allright. 

Couldn't try doing the same with Colin's tracks above, because I don't own Syria map.

Maybe you use some custom mods or lua edits which migth inadvertently affect Mi-8?

Suum_rockets.trk 362.02 kB · 1 download

Sorry, didn't consider that. I'll record two tracks on Caucasus tomorrow.

@SuumCuique Well, that brings a question if rockets should fire at all without PUS activated. I'm not familiar enough with electrical and weapons systems on this bird to judge that...

So maybe there is a bug, but different one.

How embarrassing. I've discovered my issue based on your track file. I've been pressing the PUS Arming Button before I flick the Weapon Safe/Armed Switch on.

Having just pressed the button after arming I can see the lights illuminate and the rockets fire correctly now.

I agree with your latest point, should the rockets fire without PUS?