Virpil collective base plus - had to increase friction after 2 weeks use

sirrah

Question for you guys that have experienced this dropping issue and having to tighten the screws. Are you only seeing this with the Plus (throttle included) or are there some seeing this also with the non-throttle collective?

As far as continually tightening every so often, screws only have so many threads so at some point if it continues on I would image one would run out of threads to tighten with.

I am ready to pull the trigger and debating between the two versions. I have a Virpil CM3 Throttle and am sure I can easily use that instead of having the throttle on the collective if need be. It would be nice I guess to have it all on the collective but not a necessity for me really.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated as I would really like to finally get an order in for it.

Edit: Well crap they were showing with a 10% discount the other day, guess they are not any more now.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have the plus version but honestly only used the twist the first few times. If you have your throttle next to your collective it should replace the twist just fine.

I could also imagine that the less weight in non-plus version could make the “falling vs sticktion-with-full-dampers” collective a less prominent problem. 

Darkstar: Merged

32 minutes ago, horstweihrauch said:

I have the plus version but honestly only used the twist the first few times. If you have your throttle next to your collective it should replace the twist just fine.

I could also imagine that the less weight in non-plus version could make the “falling vs sticktion-with-full-dampers” collective a less prominent problem. 

Yeah that is what I am thinking as well, plus watching Havoc's video on it has about convinced me to go with the non plus version. I wish they still had the 10 percent discount on all purchases they were showing the other day. Guess I should have done it then.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have the non-plus version, and it does the same as described in the thread..  I dont think there will be any real difference between the two.  The twist mechanism is all close to the centre pivot.  Which grip you put on the collective is going to make a much bigger difference.

2 hours ago, Thermal said:

I have the non-plus version, and it does the same as described in the thread..  I dont think there will be any real difference between the two.  The twist mechanism is all close to the centre pivot.  Which grip you put on the collective is going to make a much bigger difference.

Thanks for the info. I think at this point I have decided on the non plus version and will just continue to use my CM3 throttle for the throttles. Not sure the throttle feature on the collective would fit well with the Apache anyway.

Sad to hear this issue will still likely be an issue though. Hate to spend this kind of money on a collective and have to modify it so it works properly over time. But it is what it is I guess. Also kind of sad to see Virpil shying away from any discussion of this shortcoming, I have asked about it a couple of times over on their forums. I have always found them to be a top notch company.  I already have a Monster Tech Mount for it to attach to my AK Racing gaming chair, so reckon I might as well take the plunge.

Of course probably with my luck, a couple of weeks after receiving they will come out with an improved collective that takes care of this as well as an Apache grip LOL.

Don B

Ok, to be honest Id like to back with the feedback after near 3 months of using VPC collective base - and what I can say, no any isseue (I use it each day for Hind or Apache) and no any kind of regression. Its very stable and works as it should.

Ok, I did this technical, funny mod 😉 (counterweight), hard to tell me like it helps a lot, but overall I'm happy and I don't see any problems so far.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

20 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Ok, to be honest Id like to back with the feedback after near 3 months of using VPC collective base - and what I can say, no any isseue (I use it each day for Hind or Apache) and no any kind of regression. Its very stable and works as it should.

Ok, I did this technical, funny mod 😉 (counterweight), hard to tell me like it helps a lot, but overall I'm happy and I don't see any problems so far.

Ok so no issue with the having to tighten screws to keep collective from drooping down, but did you do this mod from the get go?

Don B

Just now, dburne said:

Ok so no issue with the having to tighten screws to keep collective from drooping down, but did you do this mod from the get go?

Yes. I mounted in March, I only tightened the screws once at the very beginning. It's ok till now.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2 hours ago, horstweihrauch said:

The screws on mine got lose again and rewarded me with a crashed helo as I was briefly flying hands free scrolling through F10 map🫠 time for a counter weight mod🤌

Bummer...

• Like 1

Don B

I wonder if removing the two tension screws and then putting a rubber round washer (or o-ring) on them and put them back on and tightening to the desired resistance would keep the collective in place?  I haven't had the not staying in place issue and have and used the collective frequently since it's debut, so just curious.

Edited by zcaa0g

2 minutes ago, zcaa0g said:

I wonder if removing the two tension screws and then putting a rubber round washer on them and put them back on and tightening to the desired resistance would keep the collective in place?  I haven't had the not staying in place issue and have and used the collective frequently since it's debut, so just curious.

That is certainly good to hear that you have not had that issue. Which collective did you go with? I signed on to the Virpil webstore yesterday with the intent to order the standard collective and the Black Hawk grip. Only to find out the grip is not currently available. I sent a message to support, and they replied that yes it is currently unavailable but they hope to be able to have it again in about a month or so. So now I am holding off ordering the collective and grip till then. I looked at the Sharka grip but I really like the Black Hawk better for me so am going to try and wait for it. Hope it does not go much longer than about a month.

Don B

9 hours ago, dburne said:

That is certainly good to hear that you have not had that issue. Which collective did you go with? I signed on to the Virpil webstore yesterday with the intent to order the standard collective and the Black Hawk grip. Only to find out the grip is not currently available. I sent a message to support, and they replied that yes it is currently unavailable but they hope to be able to have it again in about a month or so. So now I am holding off ordering the collective and grip till then. I looked at the Sharka grip but I really like the Black Hawk better for me so am going to try and wait for it. Hope it does not go much longer than about a month.

Not saying the Blackhawk grip is not a good choice, but have you considered the Alpha-L grip (it's under the flightstick grips section).

Does the Blackhawk grip have an x/y slew ministick? I couldn't tell from the description. Ministick is quite useful in the Apache for instance.

Just seems to me that you'll get slightly more functionality for buck with the Alpha-L (perhaps equal amount of buttons, but the Alpha-L has more axis)

With the lack of a full fidelity UH60 (yes, I know about the community mod), you don't really need a replica grip anyways. But that's just my $0,02 😉

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

Not saying the Blackhawk grip is not a good choice, but have you considered the Alpha-L grip (it's under the flightstick grips section).

Does the Blackhawk grip have an x/y slew ministick? I couldn't tell from the description. Ministick is quite useful in the Apache for instance.

Just seems to me that you'll get slightly more functionality for buck with the Alpha-L (perhaps equal amount of buttons, but the Alpha-L has more axis)

With the lack of a full fidelity UH60 (yes, I know about the community mod), you don't really need a replica grip anyways. But that's just my $0,02 😉

Have not really thought about using a flight stick grip, will take a look at that thanks.

Maybe I am looking at it wrong but don't seem to see a mini stick on the Alpha L grip? Yep not fully awake yet, see the ministick listed now . Also in the compatibility listing it does not show it being compatible with the collective? 

Edited by dburne

Don B

23 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have not really thought about using a flight stick grip, will take a look at that thanks.

Maybe I am looking at it wrong but don't seem to see a mini stick on the Alpha L grip? Yep not fully awake yet, see the ministick listed now . Also in the compatibility listing it does not show it being compatible with the collective? 

From personal experience I can tell you: it is compatible 🙂

make sure to get the -L version of course (left hand). I'm very happy with that grip. Have it for several months now and still don't have all buttons and axis in use. There's just sooo many 😅

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

12 hours ago, dburne said:

I have the plus.  I knew going in that the throttle aspect is largely worthless given its limited use, but I liked the look of it.  I have been using the left Alpha grip on it the whole time.  Not sure why some seem to have the issue and others don't and I certainly wouldn't tolerate sticktion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sirrah said:

From personal experience I can tell you: it is compatible 🙂

make sure to get the -L version of course (left hand). I'm very happy with that grip. Have it for several months now and still don't have all buttons and axis in use. There's just sooo many 😅

Yeah in comparing it to Hawk 60 seems it has certainly more buttons available plus the micro stick. I may do just that thanks!

Don B

Ok so after much debate the last few weeks and deciding I will indeed stick with the Apache now, I have finally placed an order with Virpil. I went with the standard Collective and the Alpha-L grip.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don B

18 hours ago, dburne said:

standard Collective and the Alpha-L grip

The Alpha L grip is a great idea... good of @sirrah to suggest it... I reckon for the Apache it is a better choice anyway.

• Like 1

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

Woohoo they have charged my card and my Collective and Alpha L grip are preparing to ship via DHL.  Hope it gets out of there today.

Not bad, 5 days after placing order. My Apache is looking forward to the new hardware fitting.

• Like 3

Don B

I did a counterbalance mod using a Ram brand clamp, a one inch ball and the counterbalance from my compound bow. Perfectly neutralizes the weight of the collective. I loosened the tension to almost nothing when I installed the counterbalance.  Friction is in no way needed to hold the collective in position with this setup, friction is just used to as a function of preference. I highly recommend the modification.

73D885F3-07F5-4343-9AB7-3A1AA9D52600.jpeg

Edited by SunDevilPilot
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, SunDevilPilot said:

counterbalance mod using a Ram brand clamp, a one inch ball and the counterbalance from my compound bow. Perfectly neutralizes the weight of the collective

Well that is a terrific mod !

Zero damage to the collective, easy to fit with available parts. That Ram brand has some terrific equipment.... I use it myself for automotive stuff.

Yours is a good idea for sure - thanks for sharing.

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

Mine shipped yesterday via DHL, showing expected delivery next Wed the 22nd. I look for it to get here sooner though, will see. Usually DHL delivers sooner to me than first stated. Anxious to find out how long it will take me to adapt to using a collective. I will still use my Virpil CM3 throttles for the Apache throttles and maybe some of it's buttons. I will be mounting the Collective to my AK Racing gaming chair with a Monster Tech Mount for it. I already have had the mount for about a month or so whilst I was doing deliberations on the Collective and Grip.

Edited by dburne

Don B