New player: I have uninstalled this game because it causes too much frustration

Shodan0000

I've put 10 hours into the game, 2 hours flying, the rest is trying to make it playable.

Bugs that I encountered:

- Main menu takes several minutes to load, despite having a NVME SSD. When loading, the disk usage is 0% and CPU stays at 9%, but it doesn;t seem to really do anything. Missions load in < 10 seconds. I tried disabling windows defender, but it does not help.

- Mouse doesn't work in VR. It shows on the monitor, not in VR. using mouse confined to window does not work, alt-enter does not work

- Stuttering in VR. Not a perormance issue, fps actually increases shortly, but DCS does something that brakes motion smoothing every 10-15 seconds causing stutters. I tried everything that was suggested over the forums, it can't be helped. It would not be a showstopper were the previous 2 issues not a problem.

I am certain there is an awesome game when everything works as inteneded. But I don't have the time and patience to deal with these sort of issues anymore. I'm unfortunately forced to move on. I would have loved to play this game and was already making plans to buy several modules, but alas it isn't to be.

I hope ED will work on these things, because it simply chases new players away.

Signing off 

Shodan

R7 5800x // 32GB MEM // 6900XT // Win 10 // HP reverb G2 // Thrustmaster T16000 HOTAS

33 minutes ago, Shodan0000 said:

But I don't have the time and patience to deal with these sort of issues anymore. I'm unfortunately forced to move on.

Learning the aircrafts also takes time & patience, so probably this isnt the Sim for you.  I don't see you as being forced, it is a personal decision.

• Like 6

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Perhaps it's better to start by configuring the game without VR and with the minimum to start, flying the free modules and adapting to the whole environment before wanting everything to work the first time for you. All games are a bit dizzy at first and require adaptation and patience. After that period and only if you really like it, you will see that it's not difficult to handle yourself in DCS or in other games.

There are many videos on YT that teach you everything. It's just about learning. Learning the environment, learning the module... If you don't like learning and you don't want to spend time reading, learning and practicing, this is definitely not for you.

Think that DCS has his bugs, but everyone who is here enjoys it.

Edited by ReyCandy

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

I never said anything about the game itself being dizzy. It simply is too hard to get it working decently. Learning the flying isn't the issue here, it's the bugginess that prevents me from playing it.

R7 5800x // 32GB MEM // 6900XT // Win 10 // HP reverb G2 // Thrustmaster T16000 HOTAS

Yes, the game have some bugs but none make the game unplayable most of them pass unnoticed if you don't search for them, DCS is a Hardcore sim that demand much hardware to play it well, if you compare with other sims the DCS interface is OK (could be better, but is not something that you need read a manual just to navigate on menus), i play on VR also and it also don't have the best optimization but i can play with np on a PC that is no more a top tier machine, you need take time optimize the game for your hardware there is some tutorials on YT and here on forum, DCS is not a "plug and play" game like i said is a Hardcore sim for ppl who read 500 pages of manual to know how to operate 1 plane, if you don't have this patience definitely DCS is not your game.

• Like 2

OP isn't saying he doesn't have the patience required to learn a module, he's saying that he doesn't have the patience to deal with all the technical issues that they encountered. These are two very different things. And that's after reportedly spending 8 hours trying to get the game to work. It's perfectly reasonable to expect a game to work, regardless of how complicated it is.

OP, DCS certainly has its quirks and challenges, but once you dial things in, you can enjoy an experience you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. If you're willing to give DCS another try, my advice to you is to start in 2D, get a feel for the game, fly the aircraft a bit and you can retry with VR a little later. I'll say it now, the VR performance in DCS isn't good and that's coming from someone with a 3090, who spent the better part of a month trying to optimize his VR experience. Don't expect both amazing visuals and performance at the moment (an engine transition to Vulkan is underway, but we currently don't have either a concrete ETA or an estimated performance improvement). But you, like a lot of others, can probably find a happy medium between the two or go for 2D and headtracking (if you don't have, there are several solutions of varying costs).

If you have issues not related to game performance, be specific and I can guarantee that you'll find people willing to help. DCS has a steep learning curve, both from a software and a gameplay perspective, but the community does a good job of helping newcomers, as long as they're willing to put in the effort.

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Long load times and stuttering could be shader issues. Try deleting Metashaders 2 and FXO folders from Saved Games / DCS folder. Also screenshot of Settings could help. There are several things that tank performance like shadow settings , MSAA higher than 2x, anf preload radius.

Edited by cthulhu68

13 hours ago, Shodan0000 said:

I'm unfortunately forced to move on. I would have loved to play this game and was already making plans to buy several modules, but alas it isn't to be.

May I ask which high-fidelity sandbox combat flight simulator you moved on to?  I'd be curious to see which one is doing it better than DCS?

• Like 2

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

It can be the nature of a complex sim with many options and a hugely variable set of PC hardware and operating system settings.

I have none of the issues mentioned so it should be fixable although I have Intel rather than AMD.

I have only experienced stuttering as described in VR when Windows 10 introduced Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. Turning this off fixed it. Sometimes graphics driver updates have impacted performance, sometimes SteamVR updates there are heaps of variables outside of the developer’s control, not untypical with PC sims.

That said I do pick and choose what missions to run in VR as in order to look good there are some compromises to make in terms of mission complexity, which are well worth it in my view. The end results have been worth the investment in getting it set up to find the sweet spot in settings.

Better VR performance would be welcomed but there are awesome experiences available right now in this sim in VR which and would highly recommend giving it another go.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

16 hours ago, Shodan0000 said:

- Mouse doesn't work in VR. It shows on the monitor, not in VR. using mouse confined to window does not work, alt-enter does not work

I know you've mentioned 'signing off' so this post may be more beneficial to others reading this in the future looking for a similar solution if you've really made up your mind, but either way... for me - the trick to fixing this was:

1) Load up DCS to get to menu

2) Alt+Tab out of DCS to another app (while still having VR on my head but peeking underneath to see the monitor)

3) Windows+Y to turn OFF the 'mouse is in VR view' option for WMR (as it will still say that the mouse is in the Virtual Desktop Window)

4) Click mouse on the desktop into DCS window on desktop and go back into VR.

Mouse is now in the game for me. (DCS 2.7 with HP Reverb, WMR, SteamVR)

FWIW I started DCS in 2D and then switched to VR. (More accurately - purchased VR solely for DCS). The problems I had when I switched to VR were substantial. Had I not already been involved with DCS and with other mates playing it - and already owned a VR for other reasons and was trying DCS in VR straight off - I may have been tempted not to pursue DCS myself, so I appreciate the OP's frustration. I think I spent 8 or 10 hrs in total trying to get VR to work before I had it working to my satisfaction (and then many hours after trying 'tweaks'). Thankfully I was already immersed in DCS and determined to make it happen - as it's paid dividends with enjoyment since. 

Edited by Dangerzone

There is an option in settings in the WMR Portal to change input switching. I think it needs to be set to manual from recollection, after that the mouse and keyboard stay on the desktop unless you switch it with win-y.

I simply load DCS and the mouse is visible. 

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

hace 8 horas, Harker dijo:

DCS certainly has its quirks and challenges, but once you dial things in, you can enjoy an experience you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. If you're willing to give DCS another try, my advice to you is to start in 2D, get a feel for the game, fly the aircraft a bit and you can retry with VR a little later.

Correct! It's the same thing I've tried to say, starting and wanting everything to work perfectly from day one is very optimistic. Neither in DCS nor in other simulators have I ever achieved that. I recommend that you start by doing simple things and give it a try. Little by little you will be accommodating DCS to your tastes.

Owned sorted by use: F-5E | JF-17 | F/A-18C | FC3 | A-10C II | L-39 | M-2000C | New adquisition: F-16C  🔸Mods: A-4E-C

In the spotlight: Mirage F1 | Syria        🔸Terrains: Nevada | Persian Gulf

On 8/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, Shodan0000 said:

- Main menu takes several minutes to load, despite having a NVME SSD. When loading, the disk usage is 0% and CPU stays at 9%, but it doesn;t seem to really do anything. Missions load in < 10 seconds. I tried disabling windows defender, but it does not help.

The reason might be the account verification. I have a similar issue, because I have many modules and the more modules you have the more time it can take for your internet connection to verify that you are the rightful owner. It can be quite annoying, but it does not seem a very high priority to fix this issue. For DCS you need enough patience.

I never had this issue on Steam, for what it's worth. That said, I don't have a DCS account (only a forum account) as I don't do MP, so maybe it's that. I'd say, that would be pretty annoying, possibly causing me to jump ship to Steam before buying any modules.

Stutter is sometimes caused by hot plugging being enabled. For some reason, it seems to sometimes "detach and reattach" something it thinks is TrackIR, not every 15 seconds, but it does cause a lag spike when it happens.

Edited by Dragon1-1