Stupid Livery Question: UN Peacekeeper paint scheme with Hind that belongs to UN?

cfrag

I'm not much into liveries, so when I try to use them in ME, I run into unexpected issues. Here's one:

I'm setting up a mission, and I have a Hind belonging to the UN peacekeeper force that is flying along a neutral zone nicely, doing it's business. Now I want to give it a UN paint scheme, because I saw that it is available.

And here is where I'm looking stupid: for the life of me, I can't get the UN paint scheme to appear when the helicopter is a UN peacekeeper country unit. Yet, that paint scheme is available when I choose 'Russia' as county. If I do that, my blue units will open fire on UN troops, because it's no longer a neutral unit - and that's a big no-no.

What am I doing wrong? How can I set my neutral unit to use the neutral paint scheme? 

The UN livery has the following country restriction:

countries = {"UKR","GRG","RUS",}

Two options:

1.) Add Russia, or Ukraine, or Georgia to the blue side, in the mission.

2.) Download a livery unlocker. Specifically one that includes the Mi-24, to remove the country restrictions.

Edited by Pacientis
  • Like 1

You can also edit the description.lua file of the livery, like suggested here:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks, @Rudel_chw. Now that I found that "UN" is the country code for UN, I can also update the "description.lua" to allow me access to it 🙂

(My work-around was to write a small script to create a spawner - assigning liveries in lua seems to work, but above link saves me a ton of time)

• Like 1

For those who want to add the UN liveries to country = UN Peacekeepers as DIY:

open the file DCSWorld\CoreMods\aircraft\Mi-24P\Liveries\Mi-24P\United Nations.lua

And change 

to

countries = {"UKR","GRG","RUS","UN",}

(i.e. add <"UN"> with quotes, and a comma <,> 

You'll find the line close to the end of the file

Make sure you create a backup first...

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fargo007 said:

I just use Ukraine when I want that skin.

Well, in my setup that would result in a Blue Coalition Unit, and it would then immediately be attacked by Red. But you are pointing me into the right direction: I could move Ukraine into the Neutral Coalition, and then it would work 🙂

• Like 1

Another way, is adding in -- so (it nils the argument, which removes any country restrictions)

becomes 

--countries = {"UKR","GRG","RUS",}

Some livery files have the countries argument like this:

countries = {
    "UKR",
}

I just change them, so they all have:

--countries = {"USA", "RUS", "FRA", "UKR", "SPN", "NETH", "TUR", "BEL", "GER", "NOR", "CAN", "DEN", "UK", "GRG", "ISR", "ABH", "RSO"}

Edited by Pacientis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacientis said:

Another way, is adding in -- so (it nils the argument, which removes any country restrictions)

I don't like that, because it tends to create super-long liveries lists whenever you want to assign a livery, be it in-game or on the Mission Editor. 

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2021 at 10:01 AM, fargo007 said:

I just use Ukraine when I want that skin.

^This^

Ukraine is or should be a friendly country.

No need to go fooling around with the code.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

33 minutes ago, rayrayblues said:

^This^

Ukraine is or should be a friendly country.

No need to go fooling around with the code.

Not entirely, because Ukraine is Blue by default, and a blue unit will be attacked by red (the UN chopper is supposed to patrol the neutral zone and not bothered by either side). I need a country that is affiliated with neutral (now, I could make Ukraine itself align with neutral in the coalition editor, but why use an easy fix when I can alter some source files??? 🙂 )

• Like 1

01.09.2021 в 00:15, Ogma сказал:

I did a UN livery pack for the Mi-24P with all skins being available to the UN faction (and based on IRL livery) if that helps 😉

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317009/

I humbly request the Calipso livery. In 2001-2002 in Sierra-Leone this chopper has been flying over the Atlantic ocean, something went wrong and the chopper went for a little drink, then pulled up and carried on like nothing happened 😎 Photos and story (in Russian) here: https://www.yaplakal.com/forum2/topic334149.html

@BIGNEWY @NineLine @Flappie

14 hours ago, cfrag said:

why use an easy fix when I can alter some source files??? 🙂 )

Because the source files will reset themselves with every update or repair and you will have to do it over every time.

My Daddy always used to say:  "work smarter, not harder."    

There is nothing to fix. The procedure is already built into the ME:

1.  Click the COMBAT button in the ME, upper right corner to see ALL countries.

2.  Select "UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPERS" as your country.

It will paint on the UN skin and,

Nobody on either side will shoot at you.  HVYapur.png   GL & HF

EDIT:

I just found out that It only works works with the Hind. You can make other helos UN neutral, but only The Hind gets the UN skin. 

1VLp99e.png

Edited by rayrayblues
additional info
  • Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Boy do I feel stupid.

The reason it was only working with the Hind is because I had already added UN to the description.lua

as per @cfrag instructions above, DUH....sz4M0Ns.png

I have since done the same for the Huey and the Hip and here is the result.

Mi-24   countries = {"UKR","GRG","RUS","UN",}

Mi-8     countries = {"RUS","UN",}  

UH-1H  countries = {"USA","UN",}

Notice the correct Russian UN liveries.

CGrdeFe.jpg

@BIGNEWY @Flappie @NineLine

Would it be possible for the devs to make these small additions permanent in the next update?

DCSOpenBeta/Bazar/Liveries/"name of unit"/United Nations/description.lua  

It took me less than 5 minutes and I'm not a coder.

This way we wouldn't have to re-do the codes after every update/repair

Edited by rayrayblues
typo
  • Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

11 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Like I wrote above. If you copy the liveries, after you edit them, to the saved games, will that work?

I don't know. All I did was add UN to the countries.

11 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

If ED makes the changes @rayrayblues suggests, might it break the default Huey campaign? Being a peace keeper and all

Good question.

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

13 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

If ED makes the changes @rayrayblues suggests, might it break the default Huey campaign? Being a peace keeper and all

Hi Max,  I just tried the mission and it works okay.

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦