ATFLIR lock and AGM-65F slew

84-Simba

:disgust:

2 hours ago, MTM said:

I’ve been following this topic and I have found that the solutions mentioned work great when playing on a 2D monitor, but they don’t work when I try them in VR (Reverb G2). In 2D, I can slew the MavF seeker no problem, but using the same procedure in VR, no force on earth can get it to slew. That’s been my experience at least. 

Has anyone else tested it in 2D vs VR? If it’s only happening to me then I’m sure I did something stupid that I haven’t figured out yet. Wouldn’t be the first time!

No difference between Reverb G2 and pancake. MavF seeker logic and integration w/ Hornet's MC and other sensors sucks on both . Well, that reminds me... before I decide to update to 2.8, it might be a good idea to wait for some feed back, since I only fly Hornets and supposedly the Amraams have been fixed, some other 'balancing' factors might have kicked in.

If the Amraams have been fixed, it might be a worthy trade-off    Now, I'm getting way OT.  :disgust:

On 11/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, AstonMartinDBS said:

That works great - as long as ATFLIR is in INR mode. But the MAV seeker isn't slewable when the ATFLIR is in SCENE or AUTO mode, because the MAV re-slaves continuously to the ATFLIR designation. It's impossible to brake this constant designation update/re-slave loop with undesignate, while ATFLIR is in SCENE or AUTO mode and sensor priority is on the MAV format page.

I don't think, that this is as intended, because I don't see any reason for that behaviour.

I get the logic of the never-ending slewing to the pod SPI.

So ... the question is now whether it is supposed to be like that in the real plane or is that a DCS logic bug ?

Because mashing the un/cage button until it locks the good signature looks a quite terrible process.

But maybe those 2 sensors aren't meant to be used that way or maybe it is just a limitation of the RL sensors.

I just can't believe, with all the people that have this thing, that ED guys cannot reproduce the situation.

Lock a target with the ATFLIR in scene of track, switch SOI, uncage the Mav and try to slew.

It won't move.

• Like 1

Maybe @BIGNEWY or @NineLine can ask the team if the current behaviour with ATFLIR in SCENE or AUTO mode is correct:

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

There you go !

See how I cannot slew the Maverick once the ATFLIR is in scene and pointed onto the vehicules. You'll see that I kept the TDC pressed and I have the realistic TC option boxed.
If there were 2 vehicules nearby and the Mav was locking on the wrong vehicule I would habe been unable to reposition it.

So ... is that supposed to be normal ?

MavNoSlew.trk

I think UNDESIGNATE should stop the continuous designation update from other sensors (like ATFLIR) while MAV has priority. This could be the solution because it would make the MAV slewable again.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

This is exactly why I dumped ATFLIR when using MAVs, it's woeful & virtually useless to moving Targets especially in built up urban environments. Just load up your Litening man, middle bay for nice AC balance, always reliable, can manual slew to your hearts content & able to lock up multiple targets in one pass. No brainer for me & saves so much frustration & grief.  Peace out  🙂

• Like 1

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

7 hours ago, GazAce said:

This is exactly why I dumped ATFLIR when using MAVs, it's woeful & virtually useless to moving Targets especially in built up urban environments. Just load up your Litening man, middle bay for nice AC balance, always reliable, can manual slew to your hearts content & able to lock up multiple targets in one pass. No brainer for me & saves so much frustration & grief.  Peace out  🙂

The problem is exactly the same with the Litening and it doesn't solve problem with the HSI/SA waypoint designate.

I suspect it is the same with AG Radar or even with a Helmet designation.

Plus Litening wasn't used on Navy aircrafts, only ATFLIR.

The solution is indeed to look for targets with the POD and undesignate when you are running in.

Then BDA is difficult to achieve and it becomes very fiddly and you end up firing way closer to the target than you should.

Now if it is a real life limitation, no problem.

But nothing has been confirmed or infirmed on that matter yet ...

Edited by RoxSy

I'm afraid that ED ignores this thread because it already has been marked as "cannot reproduce". 😔

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

I'm afraid that ED ignores this thread because it already has been marked as "cannot reproduce". 😔

I'll do another one then ...

To be fair they asked for a track and it took me quite a while to post one (not been on DCS for quite some time because of work)

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that the following procedure works in DCS at least 80% of the time for slaving the MAVF to the TGP. One of the main keys is to switch the MAV to narrow FOV, while it has FOV priority, before invoking the TGP page. Second key, to get a good MAV slave on a second target, is to merely invoke the TGP offset (+ symbol) after designating the new target. I have no clue why this logic works.

AGM-65F SLAVE TO TGP

SETUP                    RDDI: TGP;  LDDI: STORES; AMPCD: SA page

RIGHT CONSOLE    FLIR switch ON

RDDI                       OSB6 FLIR

RDDI                       FLIR Image appears after 1 min. timeout

MODE                     A-G, MASTER ARM ON

LEFT DDI                 Select MAVF X2 to display seeker image

LEFT DDI                 Select MAVF fuzing.

LDDI                        MAV Nar FOV, OSB15

AMPCD                   SA Page. Set WP

STK SCS RT            SOI to TGP RDDI

SENSOR MODE       TV/FLIR: OSB1 and THRTL FOV LONG

FOV                         WIDE/NAR: OSB6 and THRTL FOV SHORT

RDDI ZOOM            OSB3-5 or THRTL Radar elevation control

THRTL SLEW          Slew TGP LOS to target

THRTL DESIG         DESIGNATE target. Displays target diamond

AMPCD                   Optional: Make markpoint OSB9

STK SCS RT            Designate target ATRK / PTRK

STK SCS LEFT        At 10 NM, SOI TO LDDI. MAV slaves to TGP target

HUD                        Fly to place target in MAV seeker key hole.

HUD                        Timer counts down to IN RNG. MAV ready

STK PICKLE            Release weapon

SECOND TARGET

STK SCS RT            SOI to TGP RDDI

STK SCS RT            If needed, select ATRK (diamond symbol) from PTRK

THRTL SLEW          Slew TGP LOS to new target.

STK SCS RT            Select ATRK or PTRK

THRTL DESIG          Invoke offset (+)

STK SCS LEFT        SOI TO LDDI. MAV slaves to new TGP target

HUD                        Fly to place target in MAV seeker key hole.

HUD                        Timer counts down to IN RNG. MAV ready

STK PICKLE            Release weapon

For those who like to use the Maverick Seeker slew, if you have DESIGNATED a target with the TPOD, Fired a Maverick, uncaged a second Maverick still slaved, you can UNDESIGNATE the TPOD target and the MAVERICK seeker will remain Ground Stabilized at the last designation but is now SLEWABLE by holding down TDC DEPRESS and Slewing. Upon release of TDC depress, the Maverick will lock on the spot.  (Assumes realistic slew enabled... without it, I think you can slew the Maverick WITHOUT needing to undesignate).

If you have more Mavericks loaded, the NEXT Maverick will NOT be ground stabilized and will be BORESIGHTED so you would need to RE-Designate a target.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 12:38 AM, RoxSy said:

I'll do another one then ...

To be fair they asked for a track and it took me quite a while to post one (not been on DCS for quite some time because of work)

Yeah, I reported this half a year ago already. It was deemed "correct as is". I can't believe that they could made up something so stupid in real life, where the pilot's life actually depends on smooth working systems, but hey, what do I know ?

• Like 1