Getting 19 round rocket pods back

Marsvinet

A while back, the LAU-3 filled with old FFAR rockets (Mk 40 engines) were removed from the Harrier. Completely valid, but still confusing since some premade payloads still have them included. But that raises the question, is there an alternative? Right now, the only rockets still left are the LAU-68 pods with the modern 2.75" rockets (Mk 60 engines). So can these be filled into a 19 round pod? Yes, the LAU-61. The LAU-61 is a valid loadout according to the AV-8B TAC-050 from 1996. It is mentioned in conjuction with the 7 round LAU-68. Now according to Razbams SME, they were never used. Understandable since the focus of the USMC has been more on bombs than anything. But for the case of DCS, having that option would be good. It provides options. This is not a bug so I am not writing it as a bug report, but more as a request.

Said request would be: The addition of LAU-61  19 round rocket pods, firing the more moden 2.75" Hydra rockets. Models already exist and are used on the F/A-18 Hornet. Completely within reason as long as the LAU-68 still is allowed on the plane.

Source is A1-AV8BB-TAC-050 1996 edition. Section 2.8 mentions rocket types and pods. Section 5, figure 5-3, sheet 44 & 45 covers loading limitations of both pods.

• Like 6

I would love to see this too. I recently downloaded the "Pirate story" free mission pack from the user files, and was surprised to see one of these rocket pods included in the default mission payload. Got all excited and then found they couldn't be launched when in the mission 🙄.

A agree that payloads should be based on what COULD be carried, versus what was actually strapped to the airplane at one moment in history. I'm fairly new to the Harrier (and DCS), but from what I've read, there have been a few back and forth's with respect to weapons on this module. I think that could be avoided by going the "capability route" instead of the "someone proved it was carried once" one.

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

Now that it appears mission makers will have the ability to limit loadouts as was shown the the Viper update, I see no reason not to add the LAU-61s. People who are vehmently against anything that the USMC doesn't actively carry can limit the loadouts, whereas people who want to use the module for more than "Afghanistan hut bombing" will have the option of a serious rocket loadout to use. I see nothing bad, but others can enlighten me if there is something obvious I have missed.

• Like 4

I don't think we ever had 19-rounders with APKWS, since I think the LAU-3 isn't cleared for the modern Mk66 engine, but I might be mixing that up with helicopter pods. But yes, the LAU-61 would most probably be cleared for use with the APKWS, which I really doubt would be carried due to the missions APKWS have been used for. But if it is cleared it would be an option to add.

6 minutes ago, Marsvinet said:

I don't think we ever had 19-rounders with APKWS, since I think the LAU-3 isn't cleared for the modern Mk66 engine, but I might be mixing that up with helicopter pods. But yes, the LAU-61 would most probably be cleared for use with the APKWS, which I really doubt would be carried due to the missions APKWS have been used for. But if it is cleared it would be an option to add.

Thanks. I think I must have been wrong. I looked up some old YOUTUBE tutorials when the APKWS was added and arming screens only showed the 7 round pods. My mistake!

On 9/5/2021 at 6:34 PM, Sandmonkee said:

I would love to see this too. I recently downloaded the "Pirate story" free mission pack from the user files, and was surprised to see one of these rocket pods included in the default mission payload. Got all excited and then found they couldn't be launched when in the mission 🙄.

A agree that payloads should be based on what COULD be carried, versus what was actually strapped to the airplane at one moment in history. I'm fairly new to the Harrier (and DCS), but from what I've read, there have been a few back and forth's with respect to weapons on this module. I think that could be avoided by going the "capability route" instead of the "someone proved it was carried once" one.

Ah - that'll be the Pirate Voyage missions that I made - I'll have to re-do them with currently available rocket pods - thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Time to bring this topic back up again. With the addition of the Falklands, having a "full size" rocket pod would be very fitting. One of the main weapons used by Harrier GR.3s during the conflict was the 2 inch RP. Now, the 2.75" Hydra is not a 2" RP, the AV-8B is not a Harrier GR.3, but in the interest of running the same kind of missions with a rather similar aircraft, having 19 round Hydra pods would be very pleasing. 14 Hydra rockets in LAU-68s is just not giving the right kick, Zunis are fun, but not the same.

So once again, the AV-8B is cleared for LAU-61s filled with 2.75" Hydras as I stated in the original post. I know the loadout is not used by the USMC on Harriers, but neither are the Zunis or the AGM-65F. So for the sake of the Falklands missions, pretty please?

1 hour ago, Marsvinet said:

I know the loadout is not used by the USMC on Harriers, but neither are the Zunis or the AGM-65F.

Both Zunis, IR Mavericks and Sidearms are historic loadouts for the AV-8B.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/276694-announcement-regarding-agm-65-maverick-loads/?do=findComment&comment=4723687

While I would love to see the LAU-61 added back (for similar reasons to yourself), I've never found the necessary evidence they were ever used operationally by the AV-8B.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 6 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 10:15 PM, Marsvinet said:

So once again, the AV-8B is cleared for LAU-61s filled with 2.75" Hydras as I stated in the original post. I know the loadout is not used by the USMC on Harriers, but neither are the Zunis or the AGM-65F. So for the sake of the Falklands missions, pretty please?

Good news for cold war players role playing earlier variants/loadouts, it looks like Razbam have reviewed their decision and are considering adding back the legacy LAU-3 19 rocket pod.

RAZBAM_Alpha Juliet — Today at 09:31
These are Lau-3, closest thing we have in game to the lau-61C/A. They are mentionned as a legacy from the AV-8A/C and early day attack variant.
So, though not present in the modern authorised loadouts, they can be mounted and used safely
Just like th 9L, or the GBU-12 on pylon 1 and 7

image.png

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080