WWII Style Airfield Lamps

In anticipation of nightfighter action, I've decided to put together a quick and dirty mod that allows you to place down lamps.

It allows you to place down 3 different type of lamps used by the RAF back in 1940 and onwards, when electrical airfield lighting systems started to be established.

With this mod, you can partially simulate a Drem Light system (if someone has more infos on that, like how the lamps on the poles looked like or flarepath lights etc, please share)

You can choose between 3 different lamps:

C.5, a uni-directional, blue lamp (placed down at a certain distance from the end of the runway. 800 yards from the end of the runway, a cross-bar of these lights with 37.5 feet spacing between them)

C.6, a bi-directional, white lamp (lights up only one way, used for showing runway edge. One each 300ft on either side of the runway)

T.1, a blue and amber light (used for taxiways, blue inside on taxiway, amber outside. one on either side each 150 yards)

The lamps are located under "Fortifications" and are labeled "C5", "C6", and "T1".

Issues:

If placed down in masses, your frames might struggle a bit

If direction arrow is left facing north, the C.5 lamp will shine 90 degrees to the right, the C.6 lamp 90 degrees to the left and the amber part on the taxi light will face north. (will fix at some point)

Because I do not expect the lamps to be used at daylight, they only have a simple texture.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAHDgIz_hR4g0MoqAs0NHxhO66gveabg/view?usp=sharing

Installation:

Place the unzipped folder in ".../user/saved games/dcs/mods/tech"

Pictures:

Screen_210831_230113.png

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks a lot for sharing this .. I will give it a try and hopefully use it for my WW2 Airbase Templates 👍

kR82uiy.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello 

I have been looking for some form of airport lighting mod for ages. 2 questions

1. is there a way you are able to change the brightness of these lights and if so how?
2. is there anywhere that explains how these lighting mods are made ?

Any help with the above would be amazing as this is exactly what im looking for but i would like to make the lights just slightly more brighter 

Lights can only be made brighter in 3DS.

For creation, it's very simple:

In 3DS, you model the lamp shape, give the shape a texture, add a standard spot light (directional and omni are bad because objects do not cast shadows and the light will shine through), adjust the light to your liking, export, create a simple vehicle mod (static object does not work for lights) for it and done. 

Edited by razo+r

Thx, soon, working on something bigger here. But yes 3 different Light Poles are finished (orange and white lights) plus a fix for ED's High Mast light poles so every Light Pole does illluminate Aircrafts.. which is a must an. DCS need to fix more ground stuff, add new static objects (buidings) and much more.. randomly driving fuel trunks, service vehicles on Airbases/Airports.. way much important then another flyable aircraft cause we have enough allready.

Another Shot

Screen_210815_122933.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
If all real wars could only be fought in DCS.

• 3 weeks later...

This works great, thanks! I placed the objects around Manston on The Channel map and it was easy to take off with those in place. It takes a lot of work in the ME (I'm not too familiar with the ME so there may be shortcuts and tools I'm not aware of) to place the lights correctly - obviously not a criticism of your mod at all - so doing it for every airfield would take a long time, but for a single mission this is magic! Thanks for your efforts, razo+r!

PC specs:

• 4 weeks later...