How do you mouse in VR?

Vanguard

I find a "new" Elecom air mouse on eBay, which does not use bluetooth but I am fine with it. I glue it onto the thumb rest of the T16K. It is not the most elegant solution, hey, until some tracking solution is ready for prime.

Image-1.jpegImage.jpeg

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:33 AM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Invest $65 into 2 TM MFDs sir, great bang for your money

I actually have a couple of these but shelved them once I went to VR several years ago.  Might be worth dusting them.  Do you find it easy to index which button you are on?  Any "tricks" you do to help with this?

On 9/9/2021 at 3:03 PM, VFGiPJP said:

I find a "new" Elecom air mouse on eBay, which does not use bluetooth but I am fine with it. I glue it onto the thumb rest of the T16K. It is not the most elegant solution, hey, until some tracking solution is ready for prime.

Image-1.jpegImage.jpeg

That actually looks like a better one than mine on the previous page.

Any reason why you put it on the left side of your stick ? Doesn't that make it difficut to reach the finger buttons ? or are you using your left hand ?

Can I ask - does DCS recognise all the buttons on the hat ?

I can see one still on Ebay..might have to replace mine 😉

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

55 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

That actually looks like a better one than mine on the previous page.

Any reason why you put it on the left side of your stick ? Doesn't that make it difficut to reach the finger buttons ? or are you using your left hand ?

Can I ask - does DCS recognise all the buttons on the hat ?

I can see one still on Ebay..might have to replace mine 😉

Image-4.jpgImage-3.jpgImage-2.jpgImage-1.jpgImage.jpgImage-5.jpg

Since the battery cover of the mouse is underneath, there are actually very few options I can "mount" the extra track ball onto the joystick. The photos show where my fingers would be, and it requires some muscle memory.

All the buttons on the device is programmable. See the screenshot for example. I can repurpose the buttons next to the scroll wheel to be left and right mouse buttons respectively.

elecom.jpg

One more thing: I am a big Elecom fan, so the trackball is fine to me. I read somebody do not like this trackball so your mileage may vary. Also, this is the only Elecom trackball is not detachable for cleaning.

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 minute ago, VFGiPJP said:

Image-4.jpgImage-3.jpgImage-2.jpgImage-1.jpgImage.jpgImage-5.jpg

Since the battery cover of the mouse is underneath, there are actually very few options I can "mount" the extra track ball onto the joystick. The photos below show where my fingers would be, and it requires some muscle memory.

All the buttons on the device is programmable. See the screenshot for example. I can repurpose the buttons next to the scroll wheel to be left and right mouse buttons respectively.

elecom.jpg

Thanks! I didn't realise there was a mouse assistant to configure it. I've just found it on the Elecom website.

Just ordered it from ebay !

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

On 9/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Except in VR you still have to grope for the right buttons.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I used to just use the mouse on the right side of my desk, just in front of my joystick.  However about a year ago, I got the PointCTRL "finger pointer".  Best thing imho since sliced bread.  I still use the mouse for 2d menu screens.

• Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

If there were a HOTAS with trackball like the ones found on Knightmare of the anime Code Gease, I guess there would be no more problem.

On 9/3/2021 at 7:33 PM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

4 of them arrived this afternoon. I've quite happy with them. They could have used a little extra weight in the base, but they certainly do the trick and feel robust. I've overloaded the AMPCD one to handle the AN/ALR-67 just below it and setup the left one to handle most UFC functions as well with the paddle on the stick help down.

Quick Q... I can adjust the brightness through control panel or the button 14/15 combo, but how does one control the brightness of them through the cockpit dials. Do I need target installed for that or is there another way? Thanks.

On 9/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, Mower said:

Except in VR you still have to grope for the right buttons.

Believe me, no factor after muscle Memory kicks in and helping tips like adding adhesives to key buttons (just the center of each row and column) 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

My cross only fade out if you are idle some seconds AND you are looking inside the cockpit, if once faded out you look outside it appears again, if you are idle looking outside it doesnt fade out

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I've used the VR controllers, I've used the mouse cursor and bound it to a joystick button.

Then I went to the Tek Creations UFC, Point Ctrl and Cougar MFDs. I use different shapes and textures of adhesive velcro hook and loop. Almost like braille. I put pieces on certain areas as a reference where the middle buttons are on the UFC and MFDs, then I can work by feel off where the buttons are. I then don't have to take my hand off the stick when working an MFD or UFC. The idea is similar to finding the home keys on a keyboard by the ridges. I

Point Ctrl allows me to hit switches and flip them in different directions.

Edited by FETUS
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 6:50 PM, dburne said:

I am on wait list for a Point Control so if/when my turn to order ever comes up I will be anxious to try it out.

Maybe Motion Leap would be a better option than Point Control? And it's available now I think. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

4 hours ago, Jenson said:

Maybe Motion Leap would be a better option than Point Control? And it's available now I think. 

Perhaps but not seen much on it. Point Control gets a lot of praise so I am just going to be patient and wait on mine.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, Jenson said:

From what I've seen it certainly works in DCS, but not with enough accuracy yet, and there's no way to create dead zones around your physical HOTAS so you can inadvertently operate controls while using the HOTAS. I can see it being the perfect solution in some distant iteration. Checkout Youtube vids of VTOL VR which was designed to use it from the ground up.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, VFGiPJP said:

Since the battery cover of the mouse is underneath, there are actually very few options I can "mount" the extra track ball onto the joystick. The photos show where my fingers would be, and it requires some muscle memory.

One more thing: I am a big Elecom fan, so the trackball is fine to me. I read somebody do not like this trackball so your mileage may vary. Also, this is the only Elecom trackball is not detachable for cleaning.

The new Elecom trackball arrived from ebay today. Here's what you can do with a spot of hot glue. There's less than a square cm of contact between the trackball and the joystick and the bond is absolutely rigid. Easy to remove too and doesn't leave any residue when you peel it off. Trackball is much better than my old one and the 10 fully programable buttons and scroll wheel make this a winner for me. Thanks again @VFGiPJP

IMG_7869.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jenson said:

I have a Leap Motion unit and it only works in certain aircraft, not all. I tried using it in the Harrier and all I could do was close the canopy, which was cool to do.

Hopefully, it develops further.

With Point Ctrl, you basically point and you can toggle switches up and down quickly. Once you get it set up right, it's quick. I put the Aux Buttons on my G2 and one side, I have mapped Zoom and the flashlight. The other side, NVGs and gain up and down.

Is anyone using eye tracking in their VR headset to point the mouse cursor? I feel like this could be great for DCS. I know you can use the centre of your view to aim the mouse already, but it's near impossible to look at some switches without breaking your neck. Glancing at them would be SO much easier.

Then all you need is a button to enable/disable the cursor, and binds for click.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

3 hours ago, FETUS said:

With Point Ctrl, you basically point and you can toggle switches up and down quickly. Once you get it set up right, it's quick. I put the Aux Buttons on my G2 and one side, I have mapped Zoom and the flashlight. The other side, NVGs and gain up and down.

Good to know that, thanks for the adivse 😄 

• Like 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

On 9/16/2021 at 7:14 AM, dburne said:

Perhaps but not seen much on it. Point Control gets a lot of praise so I am just going to be patient and wait on mine.

Point control is outside of my budget, anyone recommend a marble mouse?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

For the Elecom Relacon, I find myself hard to "feel" the button right to the scroll wheel in VR, so I add 2 tiny dots of Blue Tack on each button.