New TM Warthog Owner having issues

SplashOne

Hello folks, now first off i have to admit it has been a long time since i fired up DCS world due to a fairly recent move and other life issues that caused me to have to part ways with my old HOTAS setup.

Now that things have settled for me and i've began to reacquire some of my old gaming gear ect. i decided this time to go with a better quality HOTAS so i purchased the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS thinking "hey this thing's a replica of the real thing, they built it effectively for flying the A-10C so it should be much easier to get everything up and running 😄 "

I was way wrong... i cant get ANY of the controls to work, i cant find any profiles on the ED user files page for it, and the TARGET software is near useless to someone like me as i don't have any Lua scripting skills whatsoever 😛

I downloaded the ONE i was able to find on there that claimed to have everything done for the HOTAS as well as the trackIR ... but alas even after fallowing the instructions for installation of the profile NOTHING worked as stated, everything seemed extremely wonky even the trackIR was jumping all over the place.

If anyone could provide some advice or maybe links to a resource where i can ACTUALLY get this thing working that would be greatly appreciated.

i just spent nearly 550$ big HUGE bucks on this thing... here i was thinking SURELY this thing will come with at the very least some sort of plug and play functionality due to the fact that i believe (must be wrong) that it was made for all intense and purposes to work hand in hand with DCS.

i fear it might have been a mistake.

I have a warthog and do not use target or any profiles. I just set my stuff up right in the DCS controls settings and save that.

What I can mention though, is to check for redundant settings on the throttle and stick (and if you have rudders or any other input device[s] as appropriate).

Duplicate entries happen all the time and the control settings usually need to be cleaned up to work right. Keep in mind any new devices you add later will also do this and require closer inspection.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for but I hope it helps a bit.

Good luck and happy flying!

thanx for the input so far guys.

so i guess skip on the profile provided for this thing on the ED user files page as well as anything having to do with the TARGET software.

Instead reset all my controller settings, and go through and reset each and EVERY last binding for every bird i own.

dang, was REALLY hoping to be able to use someone's pre-mapped profile at the least one i could simply load directly into DCS controller settings page but i guess that's out.

I have to admit though it seems a little weird that the ONE HOTAS out there that's seemingly tailor made for this aircraft/Sim has effectively zero support officially or otherwise. Not even ONE halfway viable/workable profile provided on the ED user files site 😞

Well i'm off to try and find out what settings i actually need to bind and what i should bind them to on this thing, if things start to get too finicky then i think i'll just return it and go with a cheaper option. One of the ones that have profiles available as a starting template at the least. 😛 I would MUCH rather prefer actual usability over perceived build quality/authenticity any day that's for sure.

Target script ain't that difficult, it's powerfull and really no need to be a programmer.

The main part of the script are the buttons and switches, all the rest you can forget.

Just work your way through the manual, step by step and run some stuff in the manual as you go.

Just my 2 cents (and don't use somebody else's userfile for a HOTAS, in general it's not what you want anyway.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

No profile needed. change what you feel you need to through settings.

I don't use target, I don't recommend using the "friction" dial.

Lots of the youtube tutorials for the A-10 will show you what you need to map as far as buttons go.

Check some of those out first. I shit thee not, couple of weeks from now you will have a massive grin on your face.

It really is worth it to persevere with. Most folk have an issue with the "slew" control

check out that link for the fix.

hmm, yeah for sure i definitely plan on at the very least trying to make it work.

I do see what you guys are saying about the slew on the throttle... feels less then ideal by a long shot.

If i decide to stick with this HOTAS i would absolutely have to consider having that thing swapped out for the stick for sure.

It will do well for other aircraft also.

I cannot recommended enough that slew control fix. It makes the throttle quadrant complete.
Take a look at some of the other aircraft tutorials on youtube, you will see them open settings and show you what you may need to map.
Some of the vids by Matt Wagner, he does it.
Do NOT hesitate to ask for help on these forum pages. Lots of folk will help.
Ha ha, some will get in the way but, most by far are happy to help you.

If you are running into issues, I would recommend focus on a single airframe, tune the controls to your liking, make sure DCS double binding is not acting up, and once you are happy, move along. Use the controls overlay to check how your inputs translate into dcs 3d world. I think it´s RCTRL + Enter.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Where to start... First of all decide what YOU want the switches\hats\buttons to do. If that coincides with RL, that's fine, print out a TM HOTAS chart showing what everything does. Next step that does not involve messing with LUA files (that get changed next update), is to get the DX128 TARGET Script and run it. It only effects the throttle and gives you a DX# for every switch\hat\button position, nothing more. Now go into DCS and assign all your HOTAS functions and axis's for the A-10 (or any plane you want) and Save it. Done, until you decide you want to change something (you will)...

Edited by GaryR

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR