DCS hang: F-14 fell into sea when landed on the carrier deck (forgot to low down hook)

scommander2

Accidentally, I forgot to low down my F-14 hook when landed my plane on the deck, and it ran into the sea. RIO called out "eject...." but the screen freeze and the entire DCS application hung.  The sound distortion from the jester called out "eject..." stayed with the DCS application forever.   

Checked the Windows task manager, it showed the DCS had no responding.  I had to end task to kill the DCS application.

With the DCS tech support, they suggested me to do A-A-8-1 and repeated the same scenario.  "No responding" was no longer to happen after I made  F-14 fell into water after running at the end of the carrier deck.

I guess that the program was stuck somewhere for the action of jester was trying to eject....?!

Any suggestion?

Snag_3a5f6a57.png

Snag_3a5f8aef.png

LastMissionTrack.trk dcs.log

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 7:20 AM, eatthis said:

minor point, goto mil power at touchdown and youd just go around and try again rather than fall off the end of the boat

@eatfearsThanks. A good point, it works if I realize and wake up that I do not catch any cable quickly 🙂 

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

46 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

@eatfearsThanks. A good point, it works if I realize and wake up that I do not catch any cable quickly 🙂 

That's why you always go full power, even if you are 100% certain you caught a cable. If you wait to realize that you haven't caught one and then add full power, it could be too late, and your aircraft could be in the water before you got sufficient speed to go around again. Add full power at or just before wheels hitting the deck, and you'll have plenty of power in the event of a bolter. This is how the real naval aviators do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 8:18 PM, Jetguy06 said:

Add full power at or just before wheels hitting the deck, and you'll have plenty of power in the event of a bolter. This is how the real naval aviators do it.

Thanks and it is a good suggestion.

8 hours ago, scommander2 said:

Thanks and it is a good suggestion.

It's not just a "suggestion" - it's part of the carrier landing procedure of life/death importance!

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria