F18 pilot says you can set 8.1 AOA with DDI page?

truebrit

At 6:07 says you can pull up a maintenance sub page and set trim to 32.50 and fly hands off 8.1 alpha. Does anyone know if we have that page? Maybe the AOA button on the FCS page?

Edited by truebrit

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

FYI, AOA button is not yet implemented in DCS (iirc) but it controls AOA data source. If I recall you can choose between air data computer, left probe, or right probe. FCS format shows all 3 read outs.

Edited by Jak525

12 hours ago, Jak525 said:

FYI, AOA button is not yet implemented in DCS (iirc) but it controls AOA data source. If I recall you can choose between air data computer, left probe, or right probe. FCS format shows all 3 read outs.

Ok thanks, so do you know what page he is talking about, maybe one we won't get in DCS?

Edited by truebrit

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

I think he meant you can maintain 8.1 alpha in a blue jet, which further he describes removing the gun and filling that area with a linseed oil tank -and not for ballast.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

I believe Some time around 2017 or so a software update provided Ref trim AOA in the HUD in Flaps Half/Full. As you trim the AOA you are trimming to is shown. The digits are removed a second or so after trim input stops. Makes it easy to trim straight to On speed ... just trim until you see 8.1 🙂  This obviously is not incorporated in DCS ..... Be nice if it was.

FA18-HUD-landsml.jpg

Before this update there was I believe a way to call up a "BLIN" ? code or Memory Inspect code (which I guess was the 3250 he refers to in the vid) that reflected the current trim state.

The Blue Angles jets were modified anyway and  had a variation of the Trim AOA in the HUD that was displayed full time, In Flaps Auto it showed current trimmed ref G and as above Trimmed AOA with Flaps Auto/Full, though the G ref was prefixed with TG and displayed below the horizon line on the right hand side and the ref AOA was prefixed with T& (replace "&" with Alpha symbol) and displayed above the horizon line. It was also displayed on the FCS page below the G-Lim line.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 1

Thanks to Rackham's Flight controls indicator mod you can in effect do the same thing. Requires replacing 2 LUA files with his modified ones.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300978/

With Rackhams Mod when you go Flaps Half/Full a small white cross appears that is an Analog representation of trimmed AOA. If you trim so its exactly as shown below at -2.5 units on the scale Voila you are at 8.1 Alpha.

Trim-mod.jpg

I played around with the LUA file to add two White Ref markers at the 8.1AOA position to make it a little easier to find the 8.1 alpha position:

Twowhitestt.jpg

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, truebrit said:

Ok thanks, so do you know what page he is talking about, maybe one we won't get in DCS?

It’s the BIT - MI (Memory Inspect) sub level.  If you pull up the BIT page, MI is at one of the top push buttons.  Select that, enter the address and trim until the value is 3250.  Then the jet is trimmed for 8.1 AOA.  Not specific to the Blue Angels jets.  Was the standard way to trim in the landing pattern before the 21X(?) OFP software update that displayed trim in the HUD.

A little off topic

Just curious, does anyone know how the AoA-sensor works? (he calls it indicator, Im not sure if he misspoke, or if it's actually called that)

It looks to be a rotating cone. I don't see how that could give usefull information about airflow.

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

The AOA sensor acts like a weathervane that leads into the airflow. It pretty much is stabilized via airflow over the vane and it displays airflow relative to the nose. Its not conical, but wing shaped.

This is the system he is pointing out at. https://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/aerosonic-llc/product-184874-43271.html

k0NTBm.jpg

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

25 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

The AOA sensor acts like a weathervane that leads into the airflow. It pretty much is stabilized via airflow over the vane and it displays airflow relative to the nose. Its not conical, but wing shaped.

This is the system he is pointing out at. https://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/aerosonic-llc/product-184874-43271.html

k0NTBm.jpg

that’s an AoA probe. They are cone shaped

image.jpeg

Edited by Rainmaker

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

that’s an AoA probe. They are cone shaped

image.jpeg

Yeah Im reading up on how it actually works. I posted the same sensor above in the link, reading up on the internals right now...says there IS an angular sensor inside, and I assume it is weathervane shaped.

https://www.aerosonic.com/integrated-multifunction-probe

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

18 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Yeah Im reading up on how it actually works. I posted the same sensor above in the link, reading up on the internals right now...says there IS an angular sensor inside, and I assume it is weathervane shaped.

https://www.aerosonic.com/integrated-multifunction-probe

They have air slots which align themselves with airflow. Fighters are a bit different than your traditional passenger aircraft for obvious reasons. 

9 hours ago, TimRobertsen said:

@Hammer1-1 The probe/cone-shaped sensor is new to me. It makes sense if it measures differential-pressure between one port on the top and one on the bottom. But, the fact that it can rotat puzzles me.

On probe that take a single reading, the probe itself would look like a weathervane. This probe takes air pressure from different sides of the probe itself and translates that to airflow direction, air density and a lot of other variables necessary for the computer to keep it airborne. Its basically an all-in-one system pitot static system AND AoA indexer. So no I dont think there are any rotating parts as you might think of it...

Edit: these here are Ice detector(IIRC)/pitot tube/AOA indexer AIO. The rotating body is found on the outboard weathervane looking piece that flaps up and down in the airstream.  The spike version you can see has small slits lengthwise that will strike (what I assume) a probe inside. Id be able to give a better idea what it does if I had an actual schematic to look at, but Im no avionics guru.

22484032131_90c87f0c84_b.jpg

184874-12773313.jpg

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

@Hammer1-1

In the video it looks like he rotates the AoA-probe. A little puzzling. It could be that he is just rubbing it🤣

Timestamped:

@CBStu

From what I've heard, and understood: I think it just a way of having the trim pre-dialed-in (but not activated), so that when they extend the flaps they just press enter on the UFC (Im guessing where), and the flight computer puts the hornet in 8.1 AoA.

Oh, I see. That could make sense especially in the unusual ways the Blue Angels fly their planes. I am sure they are much better but the time I spend getting my trim correct during the downwind of a carrier trap could definitely be improved. Since I expect that they are very well scripted regarding fuel etc it would be neat to push a trim button and then just need to adjust throttle. We lived 30 minutes from Annapolis for 20 years. The graduation usually had a Blue Angels flyby and they always practiced the day before. So that was our day to see them since the town would be absolutely slammed on the day of the ceremony.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iF6vpd][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49669175406_a6c4c5118e_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2iF6vpd]IMG_1768[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

On 9/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, TimRobertsen said:

@Hammer1-1

In the video it looks like he rotates the AoA-probe. A little puzzling. It could be that he is just rubbing it🤣

Timestamped:

@CBStu

From what I've heard, and understood: I think it just a way of having the trim pre-dialed-in (but not activated), so that when they extend the flaps they just press enter on the UFC (Im guessing where), and the flight computer puts the hornet in 8.1 AoA.

The AoA sensor on the F-16 rotates as well. Never thought much about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:04 PM, CBStu said:

Oh, I see. That could make sense especially in the unusual ways the Blue Angels fly their planes. I am sure they are much better but the time I spend getting my trim correct during the downwind of a carrier trap could definitely be improved. Since I expect that they are very well scripted regarding fuel etc it would be neat to push a trim button and then just need to adjust throttle. We lived 30 minutes from Annapolis for 20 years. The graduation usually had a Blue Angels flyby and they always practiced the day before. So that was our day to see them since the town would be absolutely slammed on the day of the ceremony.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iF6vpd][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49669175406_a6c4c5118e_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2iF6vpd]IMG_1768[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

Those guys, and girls, know their stuff!

Although, I have read that this way of trimming isn't unheard of in the navy.

Would be cool (but probably very unecessary) if ED implemented some of those maintenance-pages to the module.

14 hours ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

The AoA sensor on the F-16 rotates as well. Never thought much about it.

weird and counterintuitive stuff

He did rotate it...thats interesting. Makes sense, but no idea how THAT particular one does it.

My wallpaper and skins

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarity, the AOA probe on the right side of the aircraft used to be identical to the left side, but it would get snagged in the refueling basket.  They changed the design to a less intrusive design and it does indeed rotate the full amount.  The probes measure their rotation, the aircraft compares what it thinks it should be and uses a blended answer unless you manually select a probe (like you would in the event of damage to one).

The original question is about selecting a Memory Inspect Unit/Address on the Bit page and inputting the value that would correspond being trimmed to 8.1 degrees AOA with full flaps and gear down, provided you didn't change the trim manually once set - Navy guys would remember the numbers.  A short cut method would be to trim full nose up in Auto flaps prior to the break and then it would be pretty close.  Not sure if this last bit is working in DCS, trim always seemed a bit off, as it seems you are always trimmed upon gear down, where in reality you need about 3 seconds of aft trim to get in the ball park once gear and flaps are selected.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:27 AM, truebrit said:

At 6:07 says you can pull up a maintenance sub page and set trim to 32.50 and fly hands off 8.1 alpha. Does anyone know if we have that page? Maybe the AOA button on the FCS page?

OK, so you can fly 8.1 alpha hands off in DCS now, why do I need maintenance sub page to set my trim for?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, IvanK said:

Thanks to Rackham's Flight controls indicator mod you can in effect do the same thing. Requires replacing 2 LUA files with his modified ones.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300978/

With Rackhams Mod when you go Flaps Half/Full a small white cross appears that is an Analog representation of trimmed AOA. If you trim so its exactly as shown below at -2.5 units on the scale Voila you are at 8.1 Alpha.

Trim-mod.jpg

I played around with the LUA file to add two White Ref markers at the 8.1AOA position to make it a little easier to find the 8.1 alpha position:

Twowhitestt.jpg

How did you go about going that? 

I installed Rackham's, and removed the background, but it looks like my graduations are different. I can't tell from the lua why

Screenshot_10.jpg

Edited by Greeble