Is there an easy way to grab coordinates off F10 map in VR?

John McClane

Since pretty much everything revolves around coordinates it would be awesome if there was better interaction with coordinates on the F10 map and possibly the kneeboard, or some kinda scratch pad we can toggle on and off. Ideally we should be able to do it all with the mouse and avoid typing. For example, go to F10 map, hover over any area, right click and “copy coordinates”. Then go back to cockpit and be able to right click and past to kneeboard. Then you could input them into the plane as normal but at least not have to remove headset. I cant find a way to grab coordinates from the map without having to come out of VR. Any ideas if this is possible? How do you VR guys handle this? 

Dreaming of public level APIs.

EDIT: I don't know if this still works... https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad

Edited by Dunx
  • Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

7 hours ago, John McClane said:

Since pretty much everything revolves around coordinates it would be awesome if there was better interaction with coordinates on the F10 map and possibly the kneeboard, or some kinda scratch pad we can toggle on and off. Ideally we should be able to do it all with the mouse and avoid typing. For example, go to F10 map, hover over any area, right click and “copy coordinates”. Then go back to cockpit and be able to right click and past to kneeboard. Then you could input them into the plane as normal but at least not have to remove headset. I cant find a way to grab coordinates from the map without having to come out of VR. Any ideas if this is possible? How do you VR guys handle this? 

I've asked this before. It's been mentioned by several people over the years but nevers seems to make it in. Utterly crazy really. Not long ago they introduced a co-ordinate display so you can bring up a box of all the different types and elevation for where the mouse pointer is. Great, almost handy, except there is no where to save them to... Only the briefing. Which doesn't appear on the kneeboard... Duh. The lack of kneeboard editing is my main gripe with DCS....just seems so simple, yet never done. 

2 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

I've asked this before. It's been mentioned by several people over the years but nevers seems to make it in. Utterly crazy really. Not long ago they introduced a co-ordinate display so you can bring up a box of all the different types and elevation for where the mouse pointer is. Great, almost handy, except there is no where to save them to... Only the briefing. Which doesn't appear on the kneeboard... Duh. The lack of kneeboard editing is my main gripe with DCS....just seems so simple, yet never done. 

Right on but the kneeboard editing needs to be done in a way without keyboard typing. Like by being able to copy and paste stuff with the mouse. I tried typing coords into the multiplayer chat window, was tough with the keyboard in VR, then when trying to copy into the plane from the chat window I couldnt control the plane because chat was active and almost crashed lol. It should be a simple feature though, let us copy and past coords into the kneeboard with the mouse, or some scratch pad we can toggle on and off. 

There is an app that allows you to create waypoints in F10 on the fly, believe its called TheWay.exe. I havent used it, but seems to be something close to what you are looking for if you intend on doing something with said coordinates.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

9 hours ago, John McClane said:

Any idea if this can be used in multiplayer? Im afraid to modify anything dont want to get blocked from certain servers. 

Well yes it works in multiplayer. For single player you have the option to copy marker coordinates directly into the scratchpad without having to type them. That feature only works in multiplayer if you are the host. It functions better then my memory!

On 9/4/2021 at 11:57 PM, John McClane said:

Right on but the kneeboard editing needs to be done in a way without keyboard typing. Like by being able to copy and paste stuff with the mouse. I tried typing coords into the multiplayer chat window, was tough with the keyboard in VR, then when trying to copy into the plane from the chat window I couldnt control the plane because chat was active and almost crashed lol. It should be a simple feature though, let us copy and past coords into the kneeboard with the mouse, or some scratch pad we can toggle on and off. 

Yeah. I usually screen clip the co-ordinate boxes and paste them in a Photoshop file to export as PNG. Complete faff and not multiplayer friendly. Even if the briefing  appeared on the kneeboard rather than the esc menu. That would be something at least.

Edited by Hoirtel

19 hours ago, John McClane said:

You can try my mod :

Once in F10 Map, you press Shift+F3. Then you will have map coordinates displayed "floating" in cockpit view, so you will be able to use them to type coordinates  on UFC. Shift+F5 will remove display, once used. If you map these keys to joystick button, you can do it without moving your hands from your hotas.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is a wacom tablet. Do you mean taped to your actual thigh or your pilots in game thigh? 

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.newegg.com/black-wacom-ctl4100/p/N82E16823100232?Description=wacom tablet&cm_re=wacom_tablet-_-23-100-232-_-Product

You can get a thigh strap for Ipads for about 50 bucks too. You would also need to set up VRK or virtual reality keyboard app. Very easy to set up.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins