Dora Continuous Power Discrepancy

Teckel

Hello everyone, I have a copy of the Fw-190D9 Flugzeug Handbuch Teil 0, which has a table of engine settings.

y20jfM4.png

Above, 2700 U/min (RPM) is shown to be for Dauerleistung. This is equivalent to the English term "continuous power". With 3000 U/min being shown as Kampfleistung (combat power) and 3250 U/min being for Startleistung and Notleistung (emergency power).

In the DCS: FW-190D-9 manual (as of September 4, 2021), there is this table:

FrfvcrD.png

With continuous power being listed at 3000 U/min and Kampfleistung being 3250 U/min. And then various economy settings. However, Continuous should be 2700 U/min not an economy power setting and 3000 U/min should be Kampfleistung (Combat).

Could the manual be updated to reflect this information?

I can give you the manual, but I won't post the link here as my source has it behind a paywall as a way to help fund his research and I don't want to undercut his work by releasing it on a public forum.

Edited by Teckel
  • Like 2

The original 1750PS Start- und Notleistung was raised by 150PS to 1900PS by the use of the Ladedrucksteigerungsrüstsatz by Junkers field-reps. This was done during or just after the IOC of the Doras with III./JG 54 in fall of '44.

At roughly the same time, the old Start- und Notleistung (1750PS) now became Steig- und Kampfleistung (30min rating) and the old Steig- und Kampfleistung now became Dauerleistung (max continuous). With the introduction of the 1900PS boost, all the ratings got an upwards bump.

Source: Jumo field-rep reports Septermber thru December '44.

14 hours ago, Teckel said:

With continuous power being listed at 3000 U/min and Kampfleistung being 3250 U/min. And then various economy settings. However, Continuous should be 2700 U/min not an economy power setting and 3000 U/min should be Kampfleistung (Combat).

Keep in mind, that the Jumo was designed to be easy on fuel, among other things.

There is a rich/ lean switch (I forgot the RPM-figure where this happens EDIT: it happes below 72° PLA acc the initial manual), but just because you can use the rating for 30min doesn't mean, you'll achieve best fuel economy.

This was done at a time where achieving higher cruise speeds to engage fights more readily was more important than achieving max range/ endurance.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!