VR in helicopters compared to fast jets

GunSlingerAUS

I'm not a big fan of DCS VR in the fast jets due to the performance issues. However, I was wondering whether there is much of a difference in the perception of reprojection effects when flying choppers? Are they less noticeable because you're flying low and slow, and much less likely to get into close range with fast-travelling adversaries, as seen during the merge? I find the blurring/ghosting in these moments really puts me off VR, but I'm hoping that won't be the case with the Apache.

Anyone here got experience in VR with choppers vs fast-movers?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Vr in helis is the best.  Good benchmark mission I use is ka50 instant action attack insurgents in cauc, and free flight ka50 in Syria mission.  What some folks do in heli is drop the draw distance down as your down low in a heli to recover some FPS.  I honestly don’t have issues with my rifts and 1080ti and mostly high settings.  Flying helis in dcs in vr is truly the best experience once you find your settings.

Edited by Enduro14
  • Like 2

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I get ghosting in both helicopters and fast movers.  Still love VR for the immersion.

I fly for the fun/enjoyment of flying.  I do fly Blue Flag in helo's but am not 'competitive"  just happy doing my job.

Edited by AKA_Clutter

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Hmm, so it appears opinions are mixed. I guess I'll just have to jump through the hoops to set up my G2 again and try it for myself once the Apache module comes out. 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

2 minutes ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Hmm, so it appears opinions are mixed. I guess I'll just have to jump through the hoops to set up my G2 again and try it for myself once the Apache module comes out. 

🙂  As most things, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  I have a G2 and a 3080. I get about 40 -45 fps, but as I said I have ghosting.  I don't think I run with reprojection.  Good luck.

• Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

You can get away with dropping some settings when flying HELOs. The one that usually has the most impact is visibility range, I usually drop it from High to Medium without any noticable difference, yet I do get slightly better performance. 

In any case VR with helicopters is where it's at. Once you try it there is absolutely no way you can go back to a flat screen. The depth perception is absolutely phenomenal and critical in nailing those tricky landings. 

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You can get away with dropping some settings when flying HELOs. The one that usually has the most impact is visibility range, I usually drop it from High to Medium without any noticable difference, yet I do get slightly better performance. 

In any case VR with helicopters is where it's at. Once you try it there is absolutely no way you can go back to a flat screen. The depth perception is absolutely phenomenal and critical in nailing those tricky landings. 

+1

I was just about to make the same comment. Dropping visible range down to medium with my rig makes even Marianas flyable low in a Huey with little or no ghosting. You really don't need high visible range in a helo so it doesn't impact the experience.

If you have a high spec CPU and a 3080/3090 then you can achieve excellent VR frame times, BUT, only after going through the optimisation process. I followed Speed-of-heat's 3090/G2 guide pretty much to the letter, including all hygiene steps and recommended mods and I get 45 FPS locked reprojection in almost all scenarios.

• Like 2

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I like the Huey in VR (also have KA-50 but it's been ages since that engine ran). It's slow nature makes it perfect for low flying. The trees clip and twist bit but that's about it. And as Lurker and ShaunX say, the depth perception is phenomenal. I struggle a bit with landing helo's in 2D, it's never pretty but in VR it's a total different story, as smooth as a baby's ass...

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

26 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

I like the Huey in VR (also have KA-50 but it's been ages since that engine ran). It's slow nature makes it perfect for low flying. The trees clip and twist bit but that's about it. And as Lurker and ShaunX say, the depth perception is phenomenal. I struggle a bit with landing helo's in 2D, it's never pretty but in VR it's a total different story, as smooth as a baby's ass...

Agreed, and VR makes it so easy to judge transition. I can really slam the breaks on, drop the collective and be confident that I'll be able to catch it before it falls out of the sky. Great for fast combat landings, which I can't do at all in 2D.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

When I dogfight in jets, with Oculus ASW on, the other aircraft is ghosting. I use Oculus Tray tool.
I thought of assigning the shortcut to turn ASW on and off to a button of my HOTAS, so all the fligth time ASW is on BUT the dogfight phase.
Any experiences?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

20 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

When I dogfight in jets, with Oculus ASW on, the other aircraft is ghosting. I use Oculus Tray tool.
I thought of assigning the shortcut to turn ASW on and off to a button of my HOTAS, so all the fligth time ASW is on BUT the dogfight phase.
Any experiences?

That shouldn't be happening unless your system is struggling to maintain 80 FPS. Turn on ASW to Auto in the Oculus Tray tool and leave it there. Then adjust your settings until you feel you can get decent frames. At altitude ghosting should not occur. This usually means that something is slowing down your system way too much. Looks like you have an i58400, that's not a great CPU. Maybe it's time for an upgrade. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

That shouldn't be happening unless your system is struggling to maintain 80 FPS. Turn on ASW to Auto in the Oculus Tray tool and leave it there. Then adjust your settings until you feel you can get decent frames. 

+1.  Ghosting is mostly caused by having your settings too high.  Tundra, can you post a screenshot of your graphics and VR settings in DCS?

Helicopters, for me at least, have no ghosting of things passing on the sides, whereas a faster, fixed-wing jet like the A-10 has occasional ghosting to the sides (rare, and depends on scenery density.  Usually happens when maneuvering aggressively.)  Its all about staying within the limits of your rig in DCS.  I agree with how much better helicopters are to fly in VR.  For helicopters you really need a sense of motion, and having depth perception is a decent (not perfect) substitute for that.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

3 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

+1.  Ghosting is mostly caused by having your settings too high.  Tundra, can you post a screenshot of your graphics and VR settings in DCS?

Helicopters, for me at least, have no ghosting of things passing on the sides, whereas a faster, fixed-wing jet like the A-10 has occasional ghosting to the sides (rare, and depends on scenery density.  Usually happens when maneuvering aggressively.)  Its all about staying within the limits of your rig in DCS.  I agree with how much better helicopters are to fly in VR.  For helicopters you really need a sense of motion, and having depth perception is a decent (not perfect) substitute for that.

I'm not Tundra, but can use the help.  I get quite a bit of ghosting/stuttering when looking to the side, or making fast turns.  This occurs with both helicopters and fast movers.

System basics are HP G2, I7 8600K, 64GB @3600MHz RAM, 1 G SSD, 3080 FTW and Steam at 100% resolution.

Settings shown in the screenshot.  

Thanks

Clutter

DCS_Settings_Clutter.PNG

----------------

AKA_Clutter

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

That shouldn't be happening unless your system is struggling to maintain 80 FPS. Turn on ASW to Auto in the Oculus Tray tool and leave it there. Then adjust your settings until you feel you can get decent frames. At altitude ghosting should not occur. This usually means that something is slowing down your system way too much. Looks like you have an i58400, that's not a great CPU. Maybe it's time for an upgrade. 

what does auto do?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

IIRC "auto" will  let it run at set refresh rate(90 or 80 Hz/fps) when it can, and then switch to ASM ( 45/40 Hz/fps, when it can't.  THe other mode is to have ASW on all the time, in that case, it would run at 45 Hz/fps, again iirc

Edited by AKA_Clutter
  • Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

yeah the i5 8400 it´s more than 3 year old, it was an average CPU then so it shows its age more than high-end items. But ey I ran DCS VR with that an a 1060 3Gb so, it´s good fun with my current rig I have to turn things down right? lol

2 minutes ago, AKA_Clutter said:

IIRC "auto" will  let it run at set refresh rate(90 or 80 Hz/fps) when it can, and then switch to ASM ( 45/40 Hz/fps, when it can't.  THe other mode is to have ASW on all the time, in that case, it would run at 45 Hz/fps, again iirc

oh I remember why I use ASW on. With ASW off, whenever I move my head, the image "doubles", making scanning the instruments very very tiresome for my eyes.

1 hour ago, AKA_Clutter said:

I'm not Tundra, but can use the help.  I get quite a bit of ghosting/stuttering when looking to the side, or making fast turns.  This occurs with both helicopters and fast movers.

System basics are HP G2, I7 8600K, 64GB @3600MHz RAM, 1 G SSD, 3080 FTW and Steam at 100% resolution.

Settings shown in the screenshot.  

Thanks

Clutter

The first thing to check is whether or not Motion Reprojection is turned on:

1.  Go to your Steam folder>steamapps>common>MixedRealityDriver>bin>win64 and double-click on OpenVRSettingsUX.exe

2. Click the "Graphics" button on the left side of that window, and then click on the "Motion Vector" button.  This will force reprojection on.  Setting it to Auto will also work, but I have found that to cause a little bit of hitching as Motion Reprojection is automatically turned on and off.

3. For my SteamVR Resolution Per Eye, I have that set to 150% because it is the default that SteamVR wants to use on my rig.  This I have read is to correct for barrel distortion.

4.  In DCS, on the VR tab, I have the PD set to 0.7 with my 3090.  You may have to lower yours to 0.6.

5.  For the DCS graphics settings, make the following changes:

1) Terrain textures can be set to high.  It doesn't seem to have much effect on performance.

2) Water should be set to medium or lower.

3) Visibility range can be set to high.  Not much performance impact here either, and ground objects won't appear to suddenly materialize.

4) Heat blur should be off.

5) Shadows have a major impact on performance, so these should be shut off.  Terrain object shadows should be shut off as well.

6) Res. of Cockpit Displays also has a major impact on performance.  This can be set to 256 with no noticeable loss of clarity on MFDs, it mostly affects your mirrors.

7) Lens Effects I have turned off, but I'm not sure what effect this has on performance.  You may be able to leave this on and be fine.

8 ) Forest Visibility is another thing that has a major impact on performance.  I have found that you can set it to 40% and not have trees and bushes seem to grow out of the ground as you approach them.

9) Preload Radius I have set for maximum (I think the number is 150,000)

10) Chimney Smoke Density I have set to its lowest possible value.

11) Rain Droplets I have turned off, but not sure its necessary.  I haven't done any experimentation with it to see what performance impact it has.

Your MSAA and AF settings look good, but after making the above changes, you may actually be able to run at least AF higher.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

3 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

The first thing to check is whether or not Motion Reprojection is turned on:

Your MSAA and AF settings look good, but after making the above changes, you may actually be able to run at least AF higher.

Will give this a shot.  Thanks!

----------------

AKA_Clutter

OK, gave it a shot with most of the suggested settings.  Mixed resuts.

1. I could not find OpenVRSettingsUX.exe in my Steam folder.  Not sure if "OpenVRUX" is the same as SteamVR or something else.  I did go into steamVR  - Settings and "forced" reprojection to on rather than just enabled.  I think this does the same thing.

3. SteamVR resolution say 100%, but it is 3164 x 3096, so ~ 150% of the 2160x2160.

4.  I will need to look at PD.  I have this set to 1.  There is another PD (distance between the eyes) that I don't set.

5.x -5.y - Did all of these I think. 

Results.  I think the ghosting looking out the side was better, but not gone.  I still see a lot when turning or rapid helo movements.

I set Forest Visibility as suggest and the trees were getting more defined as I got closer.  I found this annoying.  

Bottom line.  This gives me more things to test.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Some good hints from eaglecrash867. Shadows are the big killer. Though I use Low in cockpit and Flat on terrain. I too am still experimenting with my settings, as I am a fairly new G2 owner I might even drop shadows to trade for higher clarity. I disagree that Visibility range doesn't affect performance though, it most certainly does, almost as much as shadows do. 

Check out Speed-of-Heat's guide to the G2. 

Anyways @Back on Topic. 

VR in helicopters is great, and I love VR in jets too but yes it does require quite a beefy rig to get it to work properly. 

I changed my shadows settings for Marianas, putting them to flat. But again, I´m flying mostly singleplayer or simple multiplayer missions. With the graphic profiles switching is a matter of seconds.
I will also recheck the display resolution, I thought it was no factor for VR.
Thank you!

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I disagree that Visibility range doesn't affect performance though, it most certainly does, almost as much as shadows do. 

That hasn't been my experience, at least in combination with all of my other settings anyway.  My testing was done with the Las Vegas Tour (I think that was what it was called) mission on the NTTR map, and I was just looking for ghosting to the sides while at low altitude and maneuvering aggressively in the A-10C.  Don't really get into testing with FPS counters though, I just look for the ghosting to the sides.  Once I have that pretty much eliminated, everything else is a moot point IMHO.

9 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

That hasn't been my experience, at least in combination with all of my other settings anyway.  My testing was done with the Las Vegas Tour (I think that was what it was called) mission on the NTTR map, and I was just looking for ghosting to the sides while at low altitude and maneuvering aggressively in the A-10C.  Don't really get into testing with FPS counters though, I just look for the ghosting to the sides.  Once I have that pretty much eliminated, everything else is a moot point IMHO.

Try flying with PD 1.0 and SteamVR resolution 100% and you will notice the difference 🙂 In my case I also fly with Ultra Clouds so that might factor into it. With that said, it's always a combination of things, and we both have the 3090RTX, which does make a difference as well so it's a matter of personal preference. Like I said, for jets I too keep it on High. 

For helicopters in VR, I always recommend Vis distance to Medium, as you don't need it on High, and as a result you can push others settings up to improve your GFX a little bit. 

(All my testing is done on Syria)

Edited by Lurker

7 hours ago, AKA_Clutter said:

OK, gave it a shot with most of the suggested settings.  Mixed resuts.

1. I could not find OpenVRSettingsUX.exe in my Steam folder.  Not sure if "OpenVRUX" is the same as SteamVR or something else.  I did go into steamVR  - Settings and "forced" reprojection to on rather than just enabled.  I think this does the same thing.

3. SteamVR resolution say 100%, but it is 3164 x 3096, so ~ 150% of the 2160x2160.

4.  I will need to look at PD.  I have this set to 1.  There is another PD (distance between the eyes) that I don't set.

5.x -5.y - Did all of these I think. 

Results.  I think the ghosting looking out the side was better, but not gone.  I still see a lot when turning or rapid helo movements.

I set Forest Visibility as suggest and the trees were getting more defined as I got closer.  I found this annoying.  

Bottom line.  This gives me more things to test.

1.  Did you navigate down into all of the subfolders, in the sequence I listed?  Its buried pretty deep in there.  Not sure there's any other way to do this.

3 and 4. Before I started doing my reading on why SteamVR chooses the default resolution that it does (barrel distortion), I had SteamVR resolution set to 70% (which, IIRC, gave me pretty close to 2160 X 2160) and DCS PD was set to 1.0).  I have since experimented with going with the default resolution in SteamVR (150% in my case, as indicated by SteamVR), and setting DCS PD to a factor lower than 1.0.  Did my same "looking for ghosting to the sides" testing and found that with my current rig, I could get DCS PD to about 0.7.  This combination gave me good performance and also seemed to increase depth perception and target spotting ability.

As far as Forest Visibility goes, just bump that up gradually until the visual anomalies are less objectionable to you than the performance impact.  Its all a pretty inefficient system right now, so its all about trade-offs.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

For helicopters in VR, I always recommend Vis distance to Medium, as you don't need it on High, and as a result you can push others settings up to improve your GFX a little bit. 

(All my testing is done on Syria)

That makes sense.  You're not flying as fast in a helicopter, so you don't have to worry about the ground objects materializing annoyance.