Trees and tree shadows popping in and out

Vanguard

I have to say, my biggest complaint has always been with trees, and yet I can't find any relevant posts about them, I mean as a bug, so either my config is messed up, or I'm sincerely alone in this department. Trees are popping in and out of existence, their shading and coloring are changing as I shake my head, and they spin about and grow/shrink around me, especially at low level.

This isn't some mild cosmetics here, just moving my head left and right the coloring and shadows are zipping in and out of reality.

Here's a vid showing the trees appearing and disappearing, maybe helps to watch at 0.5 speed.

Here's a vid showcasing the shadows going crazy while just slowly panning my head and while flying at low level.

It's over the top annoying, especially in VR but still quite disruptive in pancake.

Is this a bug, a problem with my config or is this how they are intended to be.

Note: Recorded with better trees from taz1004 but I've tested and identical outcome without the mod installed.

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

I have mentioned it to the team in the past sadly this is not something that can be fixed easily due to engine restrictions.

thanks 

bignewy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
07.09.2021 в 11:13, BIGNEWY сказал:

Hi, 

I have mentioned it to the team in the past sadly this is not something that can be fixed easily due to engine restrictions.

thanks 

bignewy

@BIGNEWY

Do you know if it's possible or will be fixed with the new Vulcan engine? 

i9-11900K, MSI MAG Z590 TORPEDO, DDR4 32,0GB RAM, Gigabyte RTX3090, Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, Quest 3, standalone DCS.

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Mik32 said:

@BIGNEWY

Do you know if it's possible or will be fixed with the new Vulcan engine? 

Not that I am aware of, lets wait and see once vulkan gets here.

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 9/7/2021 at 5:13 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thanks 

bignewy

@BIGNEWY Sorry for the mention, but it's been awhile, I meant to take a bunch of screenies and get back to you, but I just don't have the time and I'd really like to address this.

Whilst I appreciate there may be some things that are not addressable due to engine limitations, I don't believe that's the case for the majority of what I'm reporting (popping and color). I've dug into the files and tried to mess with them, but I'm also running out of time, suffice to say, I had made some major leaps with some small changes.

The biggest issue I noted was that different trees have different LOD distances. So again I want a video here, and I'll try to make one quick, but just hop in the sim, go near a forest and adjust your forest detail slider in real-time. You'll see trees popping out of existence in what looks like a random pattern all over the place. Albeit, the bulk of it will happen in concentric rings around your aircraft like it should, not all of them do, and its that very issue that's causing the majority of eyesores to happen. The LODs should be a gradient going out from the player and all trees should be affected the same. Simply adjusting the trees LOD factor to be consistent amongst all of the tree types would go a long way to alleviating the popping in/out and immersion breaking affects. The shadows and what-not may be a engine limitation, but at least we can just turn those off and have a somewhat workaround.

Edit: Ok I added a video, please have a look. If you watch it quickly, what you'll likely see is the trees changing gradually outward as they should as I adjust the slider. Now watch the video again, but focus on the trees at the very bottom of the screen, which are closest to the camera, under the options menu. You'll see a bunch of trees immediately change their LoD and they don't change along with the surrounding trees. It's those buggers that are causing the bulk of the drama with popping in/out.

Edited by Vanguard

• 4 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, Vanguard said:

Whilst I appreciate there may be some things that are not addressable due to engine limitations, I don't believe that's the case for the majority of what I'm reporting (popping and color). I've dug into the files and tried to mess with them, but I'm also running out of time, suffice to say, I had made some major leaps with some small changes.

Just found this thread and wondering if you could share where you found the files that control the tree LODs. I'm getting a connected bug/feature where because I'm on a very widescreen monitor my tree rendering is now only about 3 miles away on the maximum setting.