Mirage III info?

Rick50

Hi, I've seen occasional mention and a few screenshots of a Mirage III that I believe is being developed by the Razbam team.  But I know nothing about the project!

Is this meant to be AI only?

Full fidellity flyable module?

Arriving soon, or in some undefined distant future?

I ask because it would make a great plane to fly for many maps, not just South Atlantic! Simpler than the flying server networks of today, but fast to altitude, has a real history...

• Like 1

RB have announced a very large number of projects, some full fidelity, other "first as AI assets, then as a full module". The Mirage 3 is in the latter category. In practice, their roadmap looks more or less like this:

Near term: finish the Harrier, Mirage and Mig-19, release the Strike Eagle and Mig-23

Medium term: A-29, EE Lightning, Bo-105

Long term/completely unclear/teased or announced in some other way: AMX, Canberra, OV-10, Pucara, Mg-19S, AV/8B+, Mirage 2000-5, a mystery helicopter, Sea Harrier FRS-1, F-100.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something, but considering that none of the "near term" modules is anywhere near release, whatever we get from RM after the Mudhen/Flogger will only happen in a very distant future, if at all.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rick50 said:

didn't know about the F-100 there.

It's really hard to keep up with all of RB's teases and announcements. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

On a brighter note, I think other 3rd parties may also have a look at the Mirage 3 family. There's a group of modders trying to put a Kfir together and become a full 3rd party, and Aviodev may also think about it after the Mirage F1 since both served in the Spanish Air Force.

• Like 2

A SuperSabre does sound cool, but honestly I really want the Mirage III, Phantom B and E, and F-8 Crusader all something fierce!  

Mirage for the history and bare metal looks, Phantom for the power and mission flexibility (almost everything under the sun?), and the Crusader for stunning good looks and being the last gunfighter! 

I also do think the F.1 has a cool factor, a pocket cruise missile, that's a bit unique in looks... it shares the "look like a mean weapon of war" look to it that the F4U Corsair, Phantom and Hornet share, though maybe with sharper look to it! 

Don't mind me, just asking for the whole world on a platter here!

• Like 3

On 9/7/2021 at 6:02 AM, Rick50 said:

Hmm. 

Ok, thanks! 

Had been hoping they were a bit further along with it, but I do lookforward to the Bo-105 and A-29... the Lightning might be a fun rocketship!  Huh... didn't know about the F-100 there.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, TLTeo said:

On a brighter note, I think other 3rd parties may also have a look at the Mirage 3 family. There's a group of modders trying to put a Kfir together and become a full 3rd party, and Aviodev may also think about it after the Mirage F1 since both served in the Spanish Air Force.

Wait What? really? the Kfir is coming a full payed module? YEAY!!!!!!! now THAT is good news!

10 hours ago, Baco said:

Wait What? really? the Kfir is coming a full payed module? YEAY!!!!!!! now THAT is good news!

As with all these mod attempts without a full deal with ED and trying to get something done anyway, take it with a grain of salt. If it does happen, it won't be any time soon.

• Thanks 1

Well, sure mods don't always get completed... but then neither do full legit "payware" modules. Burnout of the crew, disagreements, cease and desist orders, lack of money to keep production going (computer dies, no money for a replacement), personal family problems like new dependents or medical bills, massive upset in career prospects, suddenly homeless... all these things and more can happen to both "freeware mods" and "professional licenced payware module" projects. 

Even HUGE game franchises are no guarantee of future success... the fans/players/buyers aren't always happy with a new version, and a major rift can occur between the creators and the users, the "fallout" can be significant... (hint hint hint!) and even cause a surefire successful company to suddenly be plunged into uncertainty of survival. Imagine how much harder it is for a tiny "volunteer" dev team of 2 to 6 people with none of the huge resources of the industry giants... 

7 hours ago, TLTeo said:

As with all these mod attempts without a full deal with ED and trying to get something done anyway, take it with a grain of salt. If it does happen, it won't be any time soon.

Frecce Tricolori Virtuale, pulled it off brilliantly thow.... I understand Kfrs team is smaller but maybe one day!!! besides Razbam Mirage III´s take wont be any time soon either....

On 9/7/2021 at 4:10 AM, TLTeo said:

RB have announced a very large number of projects, some full fidelity, other "first as AI assets, then as a full module". The Mirage 3 is in the latter category. In practice, their roadmap looks more or less like this:

Near term: finish the Harrier, Mirage and Mig-19, release the Strike Eagle and Mig-23

Medium term: A-29, EE Lightning, Bo-105

Long term/completely unclear/teased or announced in some other way: AMX, Canberra, OV-10, Pucara, Mg-19S, AV/8B+, Mirage 2000-5, a mystery helicopter, Sea Harrier FRS-1, F-100.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something, but considering that none of the "near term" modules is anywhere near release, whatever we get from RM after the Mudhen/Flogger will only happen in a very distant future, if at all.

EE Lightning, AMX, Canberra, OV-10, Mirage 2000-5, Sea Harrier FRS-1, F-100 never was confirmed by as "DCS modules" (ED has no talking none about them), only as AI yet. The Mirage III was waiting to a "official confirmation" (ED) but actually RAZBAM has a very extend of modules on "active develop / bugfixing" (A-29 and M200C by military contract, rumors AV-8B as trainer by UsMc, Mig-23 by Cuban team), on the "fridge" waiting develop as Bo-105 (waiting a codder and RAZBAM not have experience to build a helo yet), the AV-8B+ with can be the follow when Razbam insert the ground API radar on them and build a more advanced version. The Mig-19S (Cuban team) only show a external model, no a cockpit or on fly on DCS as update of old Mig-19P module. M2000-5 has never confirmed and a long etcs.

15 minutes ago, Baco said:

Frecce Tricolori Virtuale, pulled it off brilliantly thow.... I understand Kfrs team is smaller but maybe one day!!! besides Razbam Mirage III´s take wont be any time soon either....

The main problem has none get a team and build them, without the SDK, build MOD has very limited. Require aproach ED with a solid project, give the 3rd party status and get access to the SDK to learn as DCS Worlking on deep.

I feel that the Bo-105 will be either the next module released or after the Mig-23, but before the F-15E Strike Beagle.

The difficult bit will be doing the coding for the HOT / TOW system, meaning the thermal imaging/optical aiming system, and the missile logic that wire guided ATGM's would need. Been done before, though not by Razbam, but I'm confident they can tackle that, and in not a rediculous amount of time either. 

The flight dynamics are being done by Nibylot, he of AH-6 Littlebird mod fame. And the model is... well have you seen this expansive piece of 3d artwork?!?!  The_Fragger is very talented... I think I accused him of hiding a Bo-105 in his backyard barn recently, which of course he denied! (don't worry, your secret is safe with me!)

Edited by Rick50

On 11/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

The main problem has none get a team and build them, without the SDK, build MOD has very limited. Require aproach ED with a solid project, give the 3rd party status and get access to the SDK to learn as DCS Worlking on deep.

Yeah , there is no good news so far... Pity I would but three or four 70s or even 60s Modules.. i will not get another super hi tech uber module like the F 15E.. I did not buy the Hind nor the Apache. If I want to play and fiddle systems I already got the Hornet and Viper for that.

23 hours ago, Baco said:

Yeah , there is no good news so far... Pity I would but three or four 70s or even 60s Modules.. i will not get another super hi tech uber module like the F 15E.. I did not buy the Hind nor the Apache. If I want to play and fiddle systems I already got the Hornet and Viper for that.

I agree with all of that except for the Hind - it's a Cold War 1980s fully analog Soviet helicopter with manual challenging, skill requiring flight control, manually aimed gun, unguided rockets and dumb BOMBS, strict crew coordination, PAPER map with some doppler cursor inside the cockpit, analog instruments and gunsights plus Cold War vibes and i have a blast flying it! It's like helicopter MiG-21bis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Please,can we get a definitive statement from the dev. if the Mirage becomes a AI only or a full module?

forum.png

29 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Please,can we get a definitive statement from the dev. if the Mirage becomes a AI only or a full module?

image.png
Here you go. Now for context as far as I understand, they are planning it to be a module and it isn't approved by ED yet. As it was in the "#work-in-progress" channel of their discord server.
And here is the channel description.
image.png
So it's likely far away from being an actual module you can fly anyway. Treat it more like a "wishlist" thing they want to turn into a module someday.

Edited by Killshot0597
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

That's very interesting, I always thought it will be just an AI but now I'm much more interested (and the E variant is my favourite).

Do anyone knows exactly what make a EA different from a standard E?

Furthermore it would be nice to have more info/screen/liveries by Razbam, just to pump that hype

• 2 weeks later...

The EA is based on the E airframe - later than airframe #465, so it has the 140l tanks in the leading-edges of the wings. Differences include:

- Atar 9C with a semi-autmatic RPM increase at supersonic speeds, instead of a fully automatic regime

- No TACAN, no RadAlt

- no RWR

- Cyrano IIA radar

- no Doppler and no Nav Computer

- two VHF radios instead of the two UHF radios

- no AS 30 or AS 37 capability

Plus a couple of other things, but those are the major differences.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 4:45 AM, Bremspropeller said:

The EA is based on the E airframe - later than airframe #465, so it has the 140l tanks in the leading-edges of the wings. Differences include:

- Atar 9C with a semi-autmatic RPM increase at supersonic speeds, instead of a fully automatic regime

- No TACAN, no RadAlt

- no RWR

- Cyrano IIA radar

- no Doppler and no Nav Computer

- two VHF radios instead of the two UHF radios

- no AS 30 or AS 37 capability

Plus a couple of other things, but those are the major differences.

Interesting!

Did they still use the hybrid rocket-launcher/drop-tanks (JL-100). If it can I'd probably order the module for that alone... there is something about the idea of putting a rocket pod in front of a bunch of fuel (and venting the exhaust over it) that always results in a bit of nervous laughter (or maniacal laughter) from me.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, Mig Fulcrum said:

That's very interesting, I always thought it will be just an AI but now I'm much more interested

I thought that too!

On 4/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, Mig Fulcrum said:

Furthermore it would be nice to have more info/screen/liveries by Razbam, just to pump that hype

Hype?  Uh... it's way WAY WAY too early to start any hype. YEARS too  early.

The time to start the hype train is roughly about when it's sent to ED for evaluation/testing. 

Before that they need to sort out the radar and fire controls.

Before that the flight dynamics realism.

Before that the high detail model. 

Before that gathering legal data sources and  SME's who actually remember real details of flying these  VERY old jets. And have time to collaborate with the team.

Before that they need to present their case for an M3 to ED and get permission, and possibly licensing from Dassault Aviation S.A.

Before that they need to have finished the South Atlantic map, the F-15E Beagle, the Mig-23, and have their people ready to start something new. And that might take another year or two, depending on the 15 and 23.  Only then can they begin the multi-year process of creating a Mirage III. 

So yea,  it's gonna be a bit of a wait!!:joystick::thumbup:

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Interesting!

Did they still use the hybrid rocket-launcher/drop-tanks (JL-100). If it can I'd probably order the module for that alone... there is something about the idea of putting a rocket pod in front of a bunch of fuel (and venting the exhaust over it) that always results in a bit of nervous laughter (or maniacal laughter) from me.

I'd say that depends on RB's choice of modelling. IIRC the Mirage IIIEA was mostly used for air-defense and therefore most probably didn't feature all the funny stuff like the JL100 or RPK bomb-carrying tanks. But maybe RB is taking another path (considering the MIII's wide range of export-customers) and the chose to model those. It ceratinly would add a lot of additional value for mission-designers.

Also adding other quirky parts like the SEPR booster rocket (I don't think Argentina used those) would be fun, though most export-users didn't activate the provisions for those and opted for the fuel-tanks and guns instead. The SEPR and gun-package/ rear tanks could normally be exchanged fairly quickly, though the rocket-pack required careful handling as it used hypergolic fuel with nitric-acid as oxidiser.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Thanks 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!