HMD Datalink contacts drifting

fylzz

The circle around contacts on the HMD is quickly drifting away from the real location of the object. When the object exits and then enters the viewport  of the HMD again the position is correct again and then drifts away quickly again. HMD alignment has been properly done on the ground. I have a track but it is 10MB (only like 10 minutes of gameplay with cold start). How can I transmit this file to you ?

I suspect same behaviour with ground diamond but have no track for this.

• Like 1

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

• ED Team

Hi

if it is something you can reproduce in a short mission from airstart that would be the best option. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Thank you, 

I will take a look in the morning. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I thought I heard or read a comment somewhere that this behaviour was to be expected due to the slight delay in data link information and gps updates. I'm not 100% sure though.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

• ED Team

Yes there is about a 12 second delay in the information,

I have asked the team to take a quick look, but my feeling is this is correct as is. 

thank you

On 9/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, fylzz said:

The circle around contacts on the HMD is quickly drifting away from the real location of the object. When the object exits and then enters the viewport  of the HMD again the position is correct again and then drifts away quickly again. HMD alignment has been properly done on the ground. I have a track but it is 10MB (only like 10 minutes of gameplay with cold start). How can I transmit this file to you ?

I suspect same behaviour with ground diamond but have no track for this.

try a re-alignment sometimes that stops the drifting for me, so realign HMCS after turning on DL

zprwsp-6.png

On 9/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, Convexrook said:

try a re-alignment sometimes that stops the drifting for me, so realign HMCS after turning on DL

Maybe as a workaround but I still think this is a bug because it's also doing it right after airstart.

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, RoxSy said:

Strange ... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I always do the same cold start procedure so I align pretty much everytime at the same moment.

Could it be related to the position of the donor ?

or the Server maybe? 

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

• 2 months later...

Some irregular drift in datalink is to be expected, As Big Newy stated, a datalink contact can be up to 12 seconds old. How long depends on many things and will vary constantly.

Your own display shouldn't extrapolate a PPLI as this will potentially add further error to the position. Remember the PPLI is simply a position sourced from another aircraft, and has already been subject to track filters/extrapolation etc.

Think of datalink as a type of LAN. The protocols/language differ but the concept is the same. Instead of Cat5/6 cable or wifi it is linked over crypto radio.

So,

1. Aircraft A (AWACS/wingman etc) detects a track, the track is subject to interpolation to account for RADAR update rate. (e.g. time for AWACS RADAR to complete a 360degree sweep, wingman may have a wide 6 bar sweep etc....)

2.The information is encrypted. Anyone who has ever used crypto radio voice will know there is noticeable delay in transmission.

So the data may be 1-2 seconds old before it even leaves the donor.

3. The data is broadcast over the network. This is a biggie. Unlike your home LAN, the network is subject to atmospherics, antennae shielding, changes in range... the list goes on. Try maintaining a wifi network between 10 cars on the highway and you will get the idea..... Now make those cars maneuver abruptly in 3d and fill the electromagnetic spectrum with multipe RADAR, UHF, VHF, ECM etc etc...

4. The data is received, decrypted and displayed in aircraft B (you).

5. Like all networks this data is constantly being refreshed, updated and transmitted to/from all participants...

with so many variables is impressive that the delay is only up to 12 seconds.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:19 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Yes there is about a 12 second delay in the information,

I have asked the team to take a quick look, but my feeling is this is correct as is. 

thank you

The 12 seconds is the *maximum* delay in the system. Think about data sourced from AWACS. F/F link as a 3x faster refresh rate, and I would think the PPLI data would be for accurate the closer you get. Having a 12 second delay for all information is wrong.

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

The 12 seconds is the *maximum* delay in the system. Think about data sourced from AWACS. F/F link as a 3x faster refresh rate, and I would think the PPLI data would be for accurate the closer you get. Having a 12 second delay for all information is wrong.

Thank you for your opinion, I will pass it to the team.

• Thanks 1