Big role to left on takeoff

Howdy all.

I'm sure this is a user error issue on my part, but I noticed that the P47 does a significant role left on takeoff.  I preset the rudder trim to TO position and have actually added a bit of right aileron down trim as well.  I know the engine is a beast in the P47 that creates significant torque, but unsure what I am doing to cause such a dramatic role to the left with proper TO trim applied.  

I appreciate any feedback.

2020 Rig

Chasse: bequiet! Darkbase 700

MBoard: Asus b550-F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900XT

DIMM: HyperZ 3200 64 GB (16x4)

GPU: Asus Strix 2070 - 8GB

Storage: 2x Samsung EVO 1TB m.2 (1 dedicated for DCS)

so those prop planes have to take off gradualy, almost letting time get off the ground on their own. you'll need little right rudder and slight right aileron roll as your going up. don't use full throttle as that torque only increases the airplanes desire to roll left. you let the tail get off the ground first then just give it little black right stick with little right rudder and you should get off the ground just fine. the bf-109 is a plane that really tries to torque roll you hard. you just have to practice and have patience. its not like a modern fighter that you can just pull 10-15 degrees AOA and you'll be fine. the warbirds are closer to 3-5 degrees AOA until you have enough airspeed. 

• Like 1

After trimming and getting to the runway, advance a little bit to straighten the tailwheel and then lock it (don't forget this!).

Brakes on, increase throttle to 30 (manifold), let it stabilize. Release the brakes and increase throttle gradually until full (2 to 3 seconds is ok, with practice you'll do it quicker). After starting to roll,. don't touch brakes anymore!

Maintain little pressure on right foot to keep it straight and she will basically fly itself off the ground at around 130 mph. You don't need to use turbo to take off, so let it rest.

You can speed up things taking the tail off the ground after starting your run (stick forward a little, then after 110mph gently back).

If you try to slam the throttle to start your run, then you'll get in trouble really quick. 

Oh, if you're heavy, add flaps (20 to 30) to help.

Happy take-offs. 🙂

• Like 1

You can pull 10-15 degrees on take off in P-47 but it is very hard to keep it straight.

Minimal speed, max power you will need almost max rudder deflection and a lot of aileron to keep P-47 level.

Normal take off is to accelerate to something like 120mph and let it fly of the ground.

Your left roll is due to that you are pulling too hard and stalling the plane.

You can use full throttle in P-47, question do you need turbo boost for take off, imho not really unless it is very short airfield or plane is very heavy.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Agree with @grafspee. Let her run till she wants to lift off and then pull only minimally to let her clear off the deck, retract gears and let her accelerate to a safe speed before you pull up.

Compared with the German fighters she is very easy to handle in take-off and landing.

• Thanks 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Awesome replies all.  Appreciate the feedback.  Once thing I like about flying these warbirds is the satisfaction you get with smooth takeoffs, landings, and handling.  Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.  The modern's are fun too, but I don't get the sense of satisfaction....well maybe with a solid Case I in the hornet.  

2020 Rig

Chasse: bequiet! Darkbase 700

MBoard: Asus b550-F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900XT

DIMM: HyperZ 3200 64 GB (16x4)

GPU: Asus Strix 2070 - 8GB

Storage: 2x Samsung EVO 1TB m.2 (1 dedicated for DCS)