Possible LG Handle Error?

mytai01

I discovered that if I press the DN LOCK REL button and raise the LG Handle on the ground in a cold & dark jet, the LG Handle becomes stuck in the UP position. Is it supposed to do that?

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Why it does that in DCS, I do not know. IRL, it should always lock in the up possition to prevent inadvertent extension during high G maneuvers. Did they implemented the down permission button? (white button on handle)

But why raise the gear on the ground?

Edited by mvsgas
  • Thanks 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The down permission button doesn't appear to be a thing in game. It would probably be annoying it it were in the game as no one has a control stick with such a button. I guess it's just an automatic thing.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Yeah it works. With WOW the handle can't be raised. If you press the DN LOCK REL button while raising the handle it lifts.

Sorry I didn't read the original question carefully. Powered the handle should able to be lowered after a DN LOCK REL raising and it is possible in DCS. Unpowered is a different question.

Unpowered handle lock in the up position could have several potential behaviors:

1. Solenoid spring-loaded such that the up lock can only remain locked with power
  2. Solenoid spring-loaded such that the up lock can only remain unlocked with power
  3. Solenoid is positively-activated such that the up lock can only lock or unlock with power
  4. DN LOCK REL button also overrides the up lock mechanically

The function of the permission button (white on top of LD handle) description states that it "energizes a solenoid which releases the spring-actuated handle lock." That does suggest the electrical unlock of the up lock requires electricity. However the DN LOCK REL description states that it mechanically unlocks the spring-actuated handle lock.

Up to this point I have been using terms "down lock" and "up lock" as if there are two distinct handle locking mechanisms. Because the description uses the exact phrase "the spring-actuated handle lock" in the description of both permission button and DN LOCK REL button I think there is only one handle lock. In the up position the normal unlock command is from the permission button (electrical) and in the down position from the signal from the I think left MLG WOW switch (electrical). And the DN LOCK REL simply unlocks the one-and-only handle lock mechanically overriding all electrical activity. As such I believe that the LD handle should stick in the UP position without power but that holding the DN LOCK REL button should allow the handle to be moved from the UP position without power.

IRL, it is an important enough checklist item to get a special WARNING note to make sure the LG handle is positively in the down and locked position before applying any power to the jet.

I discovered that if I put the main power switch to MAIN PWR, and add ground power, the LG Handle can be lowered as normal. At least it works in DCS.

• ED Team

I will need to see some evidence it is incorrect, I have also asked the team.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 9/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, Dee-Jay said:

Manual unlock is mainly in case of solenoid failure of the lock system.

Please tell me  more, how does every component in the landing gear system works. Would love to know.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, Dee-Jay said:

The issue with the handle is the logic of the lollipop (red light) which should remains lite anytime one door is not locked in the up/down position. Not only tied to the NLG/MLG.

In other words, should be off only when:

NLG+MLG are up and locked + all doors closed en locked.

or

NLG+MLG are down and locked + all doors in open position. (do not remember if they are locked open)

With the LG handle up, the light on the handle remains on until all doors are close. There is a switch in each door actuator that is triggered when door are fully close. This will also cut off all hydraulic pressure to the LG and brakes while the gear is up and lock. With the handle down, the light remain on until you get three green lights. Three green light indicate the LG in down and lock. There are plungers switches in the drag braces down lock mechanism.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:39 PM, mytai01 said:

The down permission button doesn't appear to be a thing in game. It would probably be annoying it it were in the game as no one has a control stick with such a button. I guess it's just an automatic thing.

How would it be different than the DCS Mig-21 landing gear lock?

18 hours ago, mytai01 said:

IRL, it is an important enough checklist item to get a special WARNING note to make sure the LG handle is positively in the down and locked position before applying any power to the jet.

The only reason this matters IRL, is because during the aircraft launch, we remove the NLG safety pin. So if you start the engine with the LG handle up, the NLG will start retracting as soon as you have B system pressure. The wow switches only prevent the handle from moving, not the landing gear from retracting.

https://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album30/aec

But the question remains, why raise the handle on the ground in DCS? other than to say: "ED this is wrong"

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• ED Team

@mytai01 I will look into it some more, I have seen but deleted your last post, please remember our 1.16 rule.

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2