Air Base Activity Problems

DTWD

Morning...oh bugger...afternoon all!

I have been pratting about with the some air bases trying to get a nice feel to them. I am sort of setting up a base template of aircraft at an airbase that I will use as my launching platform for mission I design.

Basically I have several helecopters taking off, landing flying around etc. I have an AWACS on the runway ready for take off (and then taking off), a refueling aircraft on the ramp ready for take off and an SU25 that takes off and flies to another air base.

This all seems fine in the mission editor but when it comes to running the thing I don't get everything. The SU25/Refuling aircraft/AWACS are all nowhere to be seen. My fly around helecopters are doing there job, and one chopper is on the grass powering up, it takes off, another one spawns in and it takes off. The spawning I can live with as they take off from the same point, but I can't understand why my fixed wings aren't anywhere to be found. I switched to one of the fly around choppers and there is no sign of them on the airbase at all! Also one of my take off choppers doesn't spawn in.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In single player missions, only one active aircraft is "allowed" on the base at a time. So the first will appear and take off, then the 2nd will appear, etc. This was due to traffic issues that the developers didn't have time to solve.

The only way around this is to place all the active aircraft you want to appear in your flight package. But then they all have your waypoints, too. And this precludes your desire to have active aircraft templates already available.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Ironhand,

Can I launch aircraft from different airbases at the same time? It's not exactly what I am after, but I think I can hack something together that will be alright if I can do that.

Otherwise I think I found something for 1.13! :D

Cheers

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ironhand,

Can I launch aircraft from different airbases at the same time?

Yes. The problem was that, when more than one flight would generate at the same base at the same time, they would often get in each other's way and all traffic movement would stop. The quick solution, never revisited, was to allow only one flight to generate at a time. Using one flight per base would be the work-around, if you wanted all of them to generate at the same time. OTOH, you could have any number of flights generate in the air.

As I'm typing, I'm thinking you might be able to get away with using one base and putting multiple flights into a single air group. They would all have the saem waypoints but... Give that a try and see, if that works. It's allowed for the "Me" flight group. So perhaps it works for the AI as well. It's been awhile since I've built anything but the simplest of missions. So some of this stuff is getting a bit hazy in my mind.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yeah I could generate some of the aircraft in the air (it's what I am currently doing) but I just like the idea of an aircraft taking off from a base and joining the "war".

I am STILL working through your tutorials (but with my own slant on them) and I noticed in one video you said you could setup loop points for the AI and it's ideal for refueling aircraft etc.

Well I set the IL M or whatever it's called to take off and fly to a spot (starting with 100% fuel I think) and it flies off and starts it's loop, it appears to do one and then run off home. Now in your tutorial you said they will loop until they run out of fuel, is this likely to be the case as it ran out of fuel in the same amount of time as my su33 used half a tank.

When I told one to fly straight and level it seemed to last a lot longer.

Also (and these questions are open to everyone, sorry I keep picking on you Ironhand :D ) can you set things to take off at certain times? I am just thinking allowed as I type here and I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see rattler mentions this timed take off I just asked about. Does anyone have any info on how to do that?

Regards

Paul

Click on the unit and, toward the bottom of the screen that pops up, you'll see the start time for the unit. It defaults to the mission start time but you can set it to whatever time you want.

As far as the tanker is cncerned, that should keep orbiting until it runs out of fuel. It's no different than any other aircraft.

Rich

_____

You can always set AI aircraft to TakeOff before U (player) spawns!

This way You'd have active packages in air before you spool up!

To add some realism to your template mission add some Flights orbiting for final near your airbase.

I believe Rich has a video on this matter!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is true, if I set the aircraft to start say 5 minutes before me will they still be on the base when I spawn in or do they have to be in the air?

I already have aircraft landing, fly overs, orbits etc, it's looking pretty cool. What does look quite nice is that I picked that long line of airbases (if you split the map in two it's the bit on the left, in the middle of that there is a line of air bases running up) you can see aircraft con trails taking off from these bases, it looks really cool as your lining up for take off.

According to Glowing Ammrams video BS has this kind of stuff as default, which will make life a little easier.

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is true, if I set the aircraft to start say 5 minutes before me will they still be on the base when I spawn in or do they have to be in the air?

I already have aircraft landing,...

You won't spawn until they're gone, unfortunately. Also, those aircraft that you have landing? They won't land. Or, rather, you can make them land but the timing is tricky.

Rich

_____

You won't spawn until they're gone, unfortunately. Also, those aircraft that you have landing? They won't land. Or, rather, you can make them land but the timing is tricky.

Rich

Well I had a group of 4 Mig 29s comming in on finals and they did land...or at least two did, the other two looked like they were about too and then broke right, flew through the floor and then back into the sky again. Which is odd as far as I know the realisim is set to maximum, and I certainly pancake when I hit the ground.

I am populating the "war zone" from different air bases, it's easier to manage. It's getting a little mad on the map at the moment, I am glad I re-watched your getting started tutorial and watched you hiding some items.

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I had a group of 4 Mig 29s comming in on finals and they did land...or at least two did, the other two looked like they were about too and then broke right,...

That's the "timing" thing I mentioned in my previous post. Once they are a certain distance from the runway on final, they are committed to landing and will land. So, in the above example, the first two were close enough to the runway. The two in trail were not and broke off. They two in trail won't land until you take off. BTW, this isn't an issue when flying online missions.

...It's getting a little mad on the map at the moment, I am glad I re-watched your getting started tutorial and watched you hiding some items.

:)

Rich

_____

Basically, if you have more than one GROUP assigned to an airfield then the 2nd GROUP won't appear until all of the 1st GROUP have taken off and cleared the immediate vicinity of the airfield.

The way round this is to make sure you are all in the same GROUP. Make yourself and some AI wingmen eg F-15's in one FLIGHT and add for example some air to ground F-16's in the other FLIGHT. Of course you will share the same waypoints.

Make sure you are set to takeoff from parking area.

Even though you share the same waypoints (of course your own aircraft and the AI wingmen in your FLIGHT don't have to follow them), you can be allocated different TASKS and even assigned different TARGET's from ATTACK waypoints.

Alternatively, there are some bases very close to others, so you can have AI taking off (or landing) from a neighbouring base.

For atmosphere, maybe have a friendly helo landing at your base as you taxi to the runway, have a couple of fuel trucks wandering around the base. Look for missions by a guy in the community called MBot, he is pretty good at adding atmosphere to an airfield with a few well placed static objects and moving AI vehicles / helo's / planes. Run the start of his missions to see how they look, then open them in the Mission Editor and see how he did it.

Mbot mission pack link

A problem you might find with certain airbases is that your aircraft will start in one part of the base, the AI might be clear across on the other side of the base. It depends on the base, the size of the aircraft - small AI jets will start from a HAS (hardened aircraft shelter) if there are any on the base. Also on some bases, the taxi time from the starting position (HAS or parking spot) to the runway can be a long time, the AI taxi at a fixed speed that you cannot alter. The taxi time can vary from a couple of minutes to over ten minutes :( I made an investigation into this - Taxi time link

By placing static object aircraft to occupy parking spots, it is possible to amend which spots you/AI start on.

Hope this helps....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....