Cougar with FFB

OK Ladies and Gentelmen,

Please take a seat and watch my newest Video/Idea:

dreicopy.jpg

(Click the image)

I can say that I have found my Holy Grail when talking about a proper Flightstick for your Home-Simulator.

I will mod the MS FFB 2 for the Cougar only on serious meant request. (count with approximate 350€ without the Cougar)

Edit: The pictures show my 'prototype'. The only differents to the final one will be that I will add a cover (four pannels) at the base and hide also the out coming wires of the Sidewinder inside.

Btw. I have a very reliable source of new and/or fully checked up MS SidwinderFFB 2.

@HPO

I need your Stick!!!! :D

Edited by urze
  • Like 2

Wow that looks really neat. Good choice with the MSFFB, great joystick with powerful FFB. And if there is one thing M$ got right, it was high quality and durable game controllers.

nice work :thumbup:

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

OK Ladies and Gentelmen,

Please take a seat and watch my newest Video:

dreicopy.jpg

(Click the image)

I can say that I have found my Holy Grail when talking about a proper Flightstick for your Home-Simulator.

I will mod the MS FFB 2 for the Cougar only on serious meant request. (count with approximate 350€ without the Cougar)

Edit: The pictures show my 'prototype'. The only differents to the final one will be that I will add a cover (four pannels) at the base and hide also the out coming wires of the Sidewinder inside.

Btw. I have a very reliable source of new and/or fully checked up MS SidwinderFFB 2.

@HPO

I need your Stick!!!! :D

I hope you mean the Su-27 stick :lookaround: :D

Great stuff urze, you are really inventive !!

Thank you all for your kind words ! :)

One question; does it retain it's twist grip rudder?

No, it doesn't! If I would like to simulate controls of a Airbus I would use a Competition Pro and add a twist grip to it.;)

Edit: But I'm still able to lead the Poti and the Triggers that are normally at the Sidewinder outside and use them for 'homemade' rudder or additional switches attached to the base... There are so many possibilities!

WOW!

What about the inertia? Is the FFB response is fast and accurate as it should be?

Sorry for my Stupid question: Did you miss the Vid?

No mechanical problems - moves really smooth. OK the overall force of the Stick is a little reduced due to the weight and extension - but sufficient to give you a good felling how the trim is set in LockOn and Black Shark.

And You have a nice vibration/shaking while overG/Stall maneuvers in Lockon. (...reminds me to hide it when I leave my flat while my Girlfriend stays at my home :D )

For instance:

When you Fly really slow in LockOn or a Kubilt (or similar) the force goes nearly away for the period you have no drag at your wings.

When you fly really fast (near Mach 1.5) it gets really Stiff. Adds so much to the immersion!

Eagle Dynamics did a really great job with pprogramming the FFB! It's not only a nice "Feature" - it really help you to control the Aircraft!

Edit This is a experience I don't have in other Sims this way.

I Saw some people say/post that they are missing the Vibration / Shaking while flying (See IL2).

My answer is : leave that better to a Buttkicker > http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

or even (when you can afford) to a moving Plattform like the D-BOX > http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=33332.

(Hey Santa do you read it? ^^^^ :) ... you still have time - and I promisse: I will stop to anger the Cat of my neighbor ! :music_whistling:)

No real Pilot would like to have a always shaking Stick in his hand - There are dampers in real controls that compensate it.

I can only reapeat what BTTW-DratsaB already wrote:

Good choice with the MSFFB, great joystick with powerful FFB. And if there is one thing M$ got right, it was high quality and durable game controllers.

I hope you mean the Su-27 stick :lookaround: :D

Should I really answer you here in Public?!

... OK... sorry HPO! - but I really mean your SU-27 Stick.

03-04-2008_01.jpg

I hope you aren't upset now! :smilewink:

BTW : Really enjoined our gathering at the FS-Weekend.

Edited by urze

2 urze

"Sorry for my Stupid question: Did you miss the Vid?"

Nope - question is ok.

I'm asking becouse of 3 reason:

1. All i-net videos are blocked for me while I'm in the office. (Unfortunatelly I'm in now.)

2. I have Cougar.

3. I really want to have FFB with my Cougar as well! :)

Could you please share any blueprints or photos about how it's made?

P.S. I'm Really Happy to see that you still going well, men! :)

Edited by Necroscope
It seems tags aren't working here.

Всех убью, один останусь!

Could you please share any blueprints or photos about how it's made?

A clear NO!

BTW 'Blueprints?!! - I never had/did some - I have to cut them out of my brain first. :)

Sorry Necroscope, but please understand that I have also a real tiny financial interest in doing a mod like this. See my Site: http://www.leftside-limited.com/

-Oh wait!-

Look at my Toutorial roadmap:

untitled-7.jpg

Something i will do in cold long Winter nights.

But when You examine the pictures carefully you should get really quick behind the "magic". ;)

Edited by urze

• 3 weeks later...

... OK... sorry HPO! - but I really mean your SU-27 Stick.

03-04-2008_01.jpg

I hope you aren't upset now! :smilewink:

BTW : Really enjoined our gathering at the FS-Weekend.

some informations about this stick?????

price?

a date for buy it?

Core i7 920 4Ghz Aircooled / Asus Rampage II Gene / GTX480 / 4Go PC10666 DDR3 / FFB2 / G940 / Tir 5 / etc, etc, etc...

some informations about this stick?????

price?

a date for buy it?

I can't speak for HPO here.

But after I got some "insight" about the way you have to go to turn a Idea into reality (yup! its a dusty,rocky one)-and than also make them available for others...even if it's just so simple like mine.

I can say only this:

If we see a announcement of a MIG29 or Su27 for DCS - and there where no announcements about HPO's stick in the meantime.

-You should post this question again

In short words: It will take some time!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Urze,

that stick looks great... but... how much longer till we see that X52/MSFFB stick? I've even already ordered the MSFFB 2 from ebay to use!

thanks for everything and keep coming up with the cool stuff!

Chris.

Oh man,

Your stuff achieved to hide from me a long time:(

But I have to admit that I was out of flying business until BS FINALLY arrived!

So damn cool!

Only a guy who flies himself can transform such great ideas into reality.

And hey guys, how could you ask for something like blueprints?

With such inovative ideas and so much technical skill, this guy deserves to earn some cash!

I can imagine that some bigger company might get attentive to your work soon.

If thats not already the case!

I just ordered the cougar and the saitek pedals. I think I will contact you to get such an extension, at first:thumbup:

Would love to place the Stick on the ground.

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

Hi, (don't miss to examine the initial post #1)

As I'm right now "knee-deep" in work , I find not really the time to be here at the forums as present as I would like to be... but,

I'm right now in talk with some company's to make things like the FFB Cougar happen.

th_dreicopy.jpg

What I need would be a small number of "volunteers" who would like to have this mod...

And this is not meant that I want to collect money or something...

All I need are serious meant E-mails with the contend that you would like to purchase one of it.

That would help me to convince someone to do this "experiment" with me.

If all works out as planned I would sell the first mods of this kind only for the material costs (with or without the Cougar - you can add/remove the cougar afterwards without problem within minutes) to the 10 first people how mailed me.

Mail to : infoätleftside-limiteddotcom subjekt: FFB-Cougar

The FFB base will have a "nice looking" cover and optional buttons .- that's all I can say up to now.:)

Ahm... - and a "Blueprint":

Untitled-1-2-1.jpg

BeacombatpilotleftsideWidescreen-1.jpg

Edited by urze

• 5 weeks later...

Force Trim Cyclic/Stick

Dude,

I'm an Attack Pilot - I'll leave it at that. In any case, I fly Helicopters, and you're idea is awesome. I would not only imagine that your design would be great for simple entertainment reasons, but also for actual training, particularly with respect to a sim such as Black Shark that simulates very well how these advanced aircraft actually fly.

I'll be following your product closely. Keep up the good work bro.

• 2 years later...

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Sorry! ;)

I have a Cougar and a Sidewinder FFB2

and after I did this:http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73042

I'm confident that I will also master what is described in this thread and marriage my both sticks- (inspired by this postings: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1302267#post1302267 )

I have a good guess how it is done ,

But all pictures are missing .

Question:

did someone something similar and/or have the missing pictures/ Blueprints for me ?

(BTW: Did send URZE a several pm's a year ago -no response)

Every Info is welcome!:)

Edited by PeterP

Hey -! :)

found a Video that almost explains everything:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v16515202T5KXeDX7?h1=Cougar+FFB+Mod

(I searched only pictures with google :doh:)

-but I'm still interested if someone have the missing pictures:

Question:

did someone something similar and/or have the missing pictures/ Blueprints

Every Info is welcome!smile.gif

Edited by PeterP

This is what I accomplished so far:

I bought these "Gardena" hosepipe connectors that fit into the grip almost perfect (after I drilled/cut one end of them) in to the Grip of the TM-Cougar

(thanks to hog_driver111th ! ) - they cost about 3€ each.

PICT0005.jpg

Than I used a old housing of a Bass-box to a make a prof of concept.

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

So I have pinned down all necessary dimensions... and it's shaping up very nice. :)

The next step is to open up the MS-Sidewinder FFB 2 to make a hole and install a counterweight (...somehow...). - I made a little test run and found out that a counterweight is absolute necessary , because the Cougar grip is much too heave to get hold in position by the FFB motors alone - but it should be no problem with a counterweight. -but right now it feels already very nice... and I'm thinking about to let the grip of the MS-Sidwinder untouched and do something similar like you can see on the pictures (but more sturdy - and not with cable-fixer ) -instead of removing the grip completely.

PICT0008.jpg

And get a 5pin ps-2 connector to let the base of the cougar communicate with the grip without modifying the cougar at all .

I hope also to be able to place the base of the TM-Cougar inside the Bass-box- after I installed the counter-weight like it is seen in urze's video- to get a clean compact look.

Will make a new post when I have done some progress...

And BTW:

Vettel is F1 World Champion 2011 !!!!! :D

Edited by PeterP