New to 4K, need help with blurry terrain issue

I sure hope someone can help me with this issue. I've finally gotten my hands on all the parts for my dream system, and I pretty much have everything dialed in for relatively smooth performance while flying except for one last annoying problem.

When looking out the front of the cockpit, everything looks clear and crisp, however, when I look out to the side while flying at say 1000 ft or so where the terrain is moving by faster, it's blurry like it's out of focus. There's no stuttering or lagging, it's just blurry and causes substantial eye strain because my eyes are trying to focus on a blurry image.

My system specs:

Asus Maximus X Formula Z370 

I9-9900K@5.00 GHz

32 GB 3600 MHz ram

EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

55 inch LG C1 OLED 3480x2160

27 inch Acer touchscreen for Helios 1920x1080

EVGA 1000W PSU

TrackIR 5

It took me quite a while to work through the all bewildering settings required for the PC, DCS, TrackIR and the LG to work properly together, and here is where I've ended up:

LG refresh rate is set to 60 Hz

Acer refresh rate is to 60 Hz

G-sync is set to ON in nVidia settings for the LG for both windowed and full screen mode

Frame limit is set to 60 FPS in the nVidia control panel for the DCS program settings 

V-synch is set to ON in the nVidia control panel for the DCS program settings

Prefer maximum performance set in nVidia control panel

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias is set to Clamp

LG has Game Optimizer ON and motion processing is turned off, but for some reason Game Optimizer shows "59 FPS" in it's settings and I'm not able to change this. Problem? There are a number of other hard coded settings in Game Optimizer that I'm not able to change but they don't appear to be related.

The HDMI input on the LG is set to PC.

Both screens are extended and are being rendered for DCS+Helios as 5760x2160. 

Nothing crazy is set in DCS system settings or maxed out, Visible Range is set to HIGH.

That's about all I can think of right now, but if you 4K gurus ask for more I'll be happy to provide anything you ask for. I'm SO close to having all this working, and the blurry terrain is the last darn thing I'm dealing with.

I'll be forever in your debt if someone has an idea of where the problem is. Thank you!

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

Do you have Motion Blur enabled in DCS Settings? If it is not that do you have Vsync enabled?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Motion blur is off. I do have Vsync turned ON in nVidia settings because without it I get stuttering.

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

hmmm I wouldn't think you should get stuttering with Vsync turned off?? Any heat issues when vsync is off? OH I just seen your Specs what subwoofer you using with that system?

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

That's the crazy thing, I thought Gsync would take care of all that with Vsynch off but it doesn't. Reading about it online, I saw where a number of folks had the same issue with stutters and used a combination of Gsync and Vsynch together, and that seemed to resolve that issue for me as well. I didn't have any heat issues even when running the LG at 120Hz and Vsynch off. Some areas I saw 100+ FPS, but the GPU never got above like 75 C, but there were stutters.

The subwoofer brand is "Definitive". I don't remember what the specific model is without dragging it out of the enclosure, but it's big and the jet sounds are quite punchy. I need to redo my specs to reflect the new hardware, have not gotten round to it yet.

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Yes very niche and nice setup they usually cause all kinds of unseen and unknown issues very hard to solve.. I was wondering is there a Blur setting in the HDTV itself? Also is your HDMI cable a 18Gb one?

EDIT: Do you know the responce rate of the LG also 60hz could be causing the blur itself..

Edited by The_Nephilim

I don't think there's a motion blur setting on the LG but I'll check, and other games at 4K are crystal clear. The HDMI is an Audioquest Pearl 48, rated at up to 48 Gb/s with HDR.

System Specs:

Well I am unsure if DCS has a motion blu effect outside the ingame one.. If the other games are crystal clear that is wierd perhaps with the bigger screen motion blur is more noticable?

yes that HDMI should be good.. 🙂   have you tried any racing games on your setup?  do you know the Monitors response rate?

OK, so I Googled LG C1 motion blur, and arrrrgh, I found a forum discussion where motion blur with LG OLEDs at 60Hz is a problem. Now that I think about it, I was running the LG at 120 Hz for the other games. I had to dumb it down to 60 Hz for DCS because TrackIR gets all wonky at 120 Hz. It was suggested to increase Black Frame Insertion and turn on True Motion, but that results in a dimmer screen. I guess I'll give that a try, but it doesn't sound promising. Yeah, LG OLED is one of the best for gaming, but apparently not at 60 Hz. I'll see if I can gather some additional info on this. Huge SIGH. 

System Specs:

with your rig go VR.....hard to fly 2D once you have esp with latest headsets

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Hmm I would retry it at 120hz and see what happens just for a test.. What happens to the Trackir @ 120HZ? I had 3D Projectors @120hz and never had an issue with Trackir?

From what I read about TrackIR, there was something about its camera refresh rate being 60 Hz or something along that line, and what I experienced was that it's very laggy/skippy at 120 Hz even with smoothing cranked up. I'll play around with all this stuff some more tomorrow, for now I have to sign off - going on midnight here and I have to go to work tomorrow. Thanks so much for all the help!

Hawkeye, I tried VR a while back, granted not before acquiring the 3080 Ti, but I found I still preferred my old Helios glass cockpit and TrackIR - maybe I'm just old:-) I guess it's just a personal preference, but thank you for the suggestion:-)

System Specs:

9 hours ago, GeneralDynamics said:

LG has Game Optimizer ON and motion processing is turned off, but for some reason Game Optimizer shows "59 FPS" in it's settings and I'm not able to change this. Problem? There are a number of other hard coded settings in Game Optimizer that I'm not able to change but they don't appear to be related.

Not sure, but perhaps therein lies the problem.

TRUMOTION can also be a cause for this, so take a look at that first in your screen options, and try its different settings.

I've used LG monitors through the years on gaming PCs and, while I never came across a bad one, every single one of them has had the same issue with a certain setting, called "OVERDRIVE".

It could be related to what you refer as "Game Optimizer". This is a setting to improve response time, and it can really degrade image quality, by causing a lot of blurriness for image in motion.

The following is for IPS, VA and TN tech, and you have an OLED (completely different), but doesn't hurt to explore and try different settings, as there may be some similarities in the settings.

If "Game Optimizer" is locked, that's because some other setting is not allowing changes - read the LG manual for your specific model.

Once unlocked, there are settings that you may need changing.

I'm not sure if it's set as ON/OFF, if so then please set it to OFF.

If it still has settings like OVERDRIVE has on so many LG monitors, then there are multiple options, such as "NORMAL", "FAST" and "FASTEST".

If so, then please set it to "NORMAL" (for best image quality).

Depending on the panel, "FAST" may also be usable (slightly better response time but a little blurriness for image in motion).

Just never, ever, use "FASTEST" as it causes this hideous blurriness, and sometimes it comes with it as the default setting.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56