IHADSS “eyepiece outline” hideable option

aviation360

Hi, I just saw the IHADSS Sneak peak video and noticed the “eyepiece outline”, something like that is realistic however for some of us we might find it annoying and a bit intrusive, therefore I believe there should be ether a keybind to toggle the “outline” or a option to disable or enable the “outline” in the special options tab. If this isn’t planed it would be nice to have it considered, For me Personally its a love hate relationship about this eyepiece, I like the aspect about it however at the same time I find it a bit intrusive, likewise I can live with it but I’m sure there are people out there that can’t live with it. Despite that I’m interested to see what other people think about this.  

50EB1F66-1E01-4737-86C2-BDBE7B0AF59D.png

4A5EDDC5-B8EE-440E-81FA-E3403CDF3778.png

A1E35B72-E8C4-41E2-948B-4572DA9488A8.png

Edited by aviation360
  • Like 4

As long as we don't have to use lens wipes every hour.

I'm ok with the blurry frame... at my age, my world is always framed with a blurry letterbox 🙂

• Like 5

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

That’s very similar to the argument that some make about reading instruments through NVGs.  In my opinion, it’s a realistic constraint.  I imagine 64 pilots find the obscuration annoying, but deal/get used to it.

if it becomes an option, I’d say make it server controlled.

I believe it should be able to be stowed as well, much like the Ka-50 HMS. 

Edited by heloguy
  • Like 5

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

I would really appreciate an option to turn off the outline and darkened area. There is no good way to simulate the effect of biocular vision and looking through a monocle on a pc monitor. Some people will like the representation in the video but many others will just be annoyed by it. I bet it's pretty cool in VR though.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

I asked the same thing on the teaser youtube video, GlowingAmraam (the video maker) told me it can be toggled on/off.

It may be realistic but on a screen you can't focus with one eye and you see it all the time, and I think it will be annoying. I will try it for sure but I think an option to hide it is nice.

• Like 1

To me the IHADDS glass looks superb.

In VR it will only cover the right eye with the edges of the glass at the periphery of the eyeballs view... it will be like sun glasses, not noticeable.

Off course an option should be available for the monitor users.

Should the base of the monocle be solid though? ..... obscuring the very extreme bottom right of vision.... from a VR point of view?

The DCS AH-64D looks like it will be superb! 

• Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:07 PM, heloguy said:

That’s very similar to the argument that some make about reading instruments through NVGs.  In my opinion, it’s a realistic constraint.  I imagine 64 pilots find the obscuration annoying, but deal/get used to it.

if it becomes an option, I’d say make it server controlled.

I believe it should be able to be stowed as well, much like the Ka-50 HMS. 

I'd prefer to see instruments under the NVG, but I guess this probably very difficult to simulate? Is there a topic on the forum somewhere about it?

As for the IHADSS, I have never used one IRL, so I do not know if you can see the outline of the combiner glass or not. If you can, well then it is realistic and I rather keep it. I would also wager that you will be able to stow it as well.

• Like 1

vor 50 Minuten schrieb Baltic Pirate:

I'd prefer to see instruments under the NVG, but I guess this probably very difficult to simulate? Is there a topic on the forum somewhere about it?

As for the IHADSS, I have never used one IRL, so I do not know if you can see the outline of the combiner glass or not. If you can, well then it is realistic and I rather keep it. I would also wager that you will be able to stow it as well.

as far as i understand, from our apache guys here, you actually see the outlines, of course. but its like wearing sunglases: you dont concentrate on the outlines, so your brain pretty much ignores them.

this works in real life, and maybe in vr, but absolutelly not on a flatscreen

i personally think its a nice little detail, but i am 100% playin on Vr

Edited by NWGJulian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NWGJulian said:

as far as i understand, from our apache guys here, you actually see the outlines, of course. but its like wearing sunglases: you dont concentrate on the outlines, so your brain pretty much ignores them.

I am VR when home but hotels, on screen only. It is too much to drag the whole catastrophe of stick, rudder (Anti-torque pedals), throttles and VR set with me. Very curious as to how this will work out.

• ED Team
15 hours ago, NWGJulian said:

It does work on a flat screen, at least in Ka-50. I play with HMD centred (not offset like it is by default), reduced reticle brightness and I always have it on. It's like having a speck or a dead pixel on the screen, your brain filters it out eventually if it doesn't move with the rest of the scene.

The issue here is that it is too opaque - you will always see around it with other eye, so it should be more transparent, more than canopy reflections. Ka-50 hmd is like that.

Edited by m4ti140

19 hours ago, Baltic Pirate said:

I'd prefer to see instruments under the NVG, but I guess this probably very difficult to simulate?

I mentioned this because it’s impossible to have NVGs focused for flying (outside), and inside.  They can only be focused for one distance at a time.   Also, they only give about 20/40  visual acuity, if you know what you’re doing, so aren’t ideal for reading anything, if you were foolish enough to choose inside vs outside.

Pilots look under the NVGs with their naked eye to read instruments.   Again, mentioning this as an example of something unrealistic that people have asked for in the past to compare.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Excellent, was thinking about this today after watching the video.  Glad this was already brought up before release to nip this before its an issue and the module is already out there.  Understand a checkbox on the special options tab.   What about possibly a slider on the special options tab.  The slider will give a variable factor on how large the frame of the monocle is over the screen, to where as Furthest to the right would be no visible.  

Just a thought.   Thanks for the post. 

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. The images look cool, but I can imagine how tired my eyes would be after looking at this and trying to make sense of the instruments or surroundings for an hour. And you can't really not use it since apache doesn't have a hud. After all, there is no way to realistically show what a 2-eyed pilot sees with 1 monitor, even VR wouldn't do it. I'm sure that irl it's much more bearable. I don't know how good of a comparison it is, but we already have HMDs in the A-10, F-16, F-18 and some russian stuff too and there is no "glass filter" in there, though i'm sure there is irl

According to RL pilots you don't really see the outlines. It's like wearing glasses. You only see the frames of your glasses if you really concentrate on them right? That's exactly how this is supposed to work.

So no idea if this is just because it's a 2d representation, but if it's that intrusive in VR, then I'm simply not going to use it. 

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 9/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, kgillers3 said:

It doesn't sit that far up over your eye. that base part is on your cheek ish and it's split in the middle.  I thought about throwing up a pic of me but I'd rather throw up a google pic.   When you're looking through straight ahead it's straight through the glass, I guess if you look straight down and right you can see the base but it's barely noticeable. 

Which Russian helicopter compares to the Apache? - Quora

Yeah the VR version is where I will put my moans and groans.

For pancake..... I just do not know where you guys will want the monocle placed..... centre view monocle is just a funny compromise I guess. glass no glass.

weird transparent projector.

The glass looks good to me though.... ready for VR.

For VR it is different, the monocle will sit over the right eye.... dominant. Edge of glass noticeable when you rotate your Mk1 s around their periphery.

Huge projector housing to the lower right of your right eye..... as in your picture, massively obstructive to your entire lower right window periphery view.

For VR of course, it will be interesting to see how they model the PNVS, the sensor sits externally on the nose of the airframe, some 60 cms to 70cms below the pilot and at least 1.5 metres forward of the pilots eyeball. I hope ED go for that in the VR sim, weird spooky night vision in the right eye, offset by distance. A Christmas tree of lights and gauges being seen in the left eye (no offset). 

I just love VR.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

42 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

yeah, i'd say flying NVS is probably the most challenging mode due to like you noted it's below and forward of you and lack of peripheral information and IDK about other people but I know some people can tend to get lost in the picture.  For me I think sims are easier for it than the real aircraft because the sim doesn't move around, where if there's a cross wind or if I'm a decel the image tends to stay the same as I move my head to follow the picture but my body is feeling all the movements which for me personally induces some disorientation (everyone is different and has different triggers.  TADS is worse than pnvs mainly due to slower rotation speeds when being used as a NVS. 

As far as obstruction, and how far out on your peripherals the edge is, I mean checking tq I'm looking up and left or checking the high action display down and left, or barometric altimeter up and right. So it's not necessarily in your normal line of sight, you have to look for it.  Then due to the angle it sits forward of your face, everyone's head is a little different for RL so how far forward or back off the eye, but for me I'd say about a pinky or so (I know everyone has different sized fingers) but there's enough room if I look hard right I can peek unaided far right and do so especially low to the ground or ground taxing. I'd doubt that'll be implemented or not because that's kind of a physical 3d dimension deal nor am I even remotely asking.  I'll just be happy to be able and play around tbh

It'll be fun for sure tho.  And I'm happy to see I'll be able to turn down the edges for my panel. 

Also my first comment,  I can't die in the sim or have an investigation if I misjudge something. Much more comfortable if something unexpected happens. 

Real life Apache pilot Kgillers3?

VR experience or just flatpanel with track IR?

It would be good to have you in the virtual, it is a bit different to what the majority of DCS gamers experience... but painfully expensive to run!

As you mentioned, in combat sim we get our selves into a lot more trouble than we would have done in real life.... so the little things matter a little bit more.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

18 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

Yes, never been a d model guy but I'd say 80% of the stuff is similar if not the same.  There are some real life d model guys and I think there's a british guy running around here too.  Some of the stuff I won't lead into because some of these things we still use so I'll wait to see what's open source released by ED.  

I have VR but I find the clarity of image makes it not enjoyable for me so I run panel with Track IR.  

I hear you on clarity, but I played with a lot worse resolution in the 80s, for me it is simply going back to what the past gave me in order to blaze the trail for the future.

Getting the HP reverb G2 to 100% SS setting in steam and staying head and shoulders clean above 45 fps is my only goal at the moment, hopefully ED will give us 10 fps on the newer graphics engine and 10 fps on the core engine update.... then I will be happy. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

indeed.

Horses for courses.