LOMAC performance

I have an E6600 @ 3.4GHz. With my 8800GT clocked pretty good, I was only getting 30fps on the ground and maybe 60 in the air. Large cities and stuff, easily in the singles. I had all the mods to help FPS, using med vis and stuff. It was ok it was workable.

Well I just install the 4870 1GB. I was in no way expecting LOMAC to see a difference. Boy was I wrong!!!

I went to the 169th, 60FPS on the ground, over 120 around Mt. Cougar. I immediantly got out to run more tests. So currently with everything high, everything including vis, I get 25fps of Sim-pol (however the heck you spell it).

Something else I noticed, there is no jitter when you take a screenshot. You cant even tell that I am taking a screen. No screen hack for me.

And this is even with Folding @ home running on my GPU!

WTF? nV driver problem? Maybe difference from 512MB to 1024MB vRAM?

What are your guys' experience? Cause right now, LO freaking smokes.

Wasnt there a mission or something that someone used to bench with?

• Like 2

simple... what ever instance in game the CPU wasn't the bottleneck (leaving the video card to be the bottleneck) the framerate has improved. With exact same CPU his minimum framerate stayed the same but average (and max) has insreased... especially if he was using AA and AF in game with high screen resolution.

No longer active in DCS...

I was under the impression that the ATIs always worked better for LOMAC, something to do with the shaders or something.

I think there might have been something wrong in your setup though because I am running on an 8800GT and I am not seeing single figure performance, the absolute lowest I get is now is just under 20 with a bit of tweaking I have done.

Even saying that your seeing a big performance jump, and I know someone who has an nv280 and a CPU that's running nearly 1GHz faster than mine and they don't see anywhere near this kind of leap in performance.

Regards

Paul

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are quite a few settings in graphics.cfg that can make your framerate crawl even on fastest (and overclocked) systems so having the same system and few values in there changed still makes a difference.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

simple... what ever instance in game the CPU wasn't the bottleneck (leaving the video card to be the bottleneck) the framerate has improved. With exact same CPU his minimum framerate stayed the same but average (and max) has insreased... especially if he was using AA and AF in game with high screen resolution.

No my min FPS have increased. In Sim-pol I would get in the single digits, it was horrible to fly over. Now its about 25 and rock solid.

The 8800GT should in no way have been a bottleneck for LOMAC.

The 2900XT I had prior to that gave the same performance.

Wasnt there that benchmarking thread somewhere, I cant find it, I will search some more.

greetings . i have the 8800gt . i have the fps capped at 30 .

i gets about the same 25 fps over bigger cities .

i get 30 solid in the 169th hl server .

the game runs as smooth as a babies bottom .

8 aa and 16 af .

i was consideringa 4870 also .

maybe that benchmark thats mentioned will reasure me to do so .

until then though ,im very happy with my 8800gt .

thats my 2 cents .

cheers from here .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well from my perspective, I would have gotten the 4870 1GB the second it came out if I knew I was going to get this kind of performance increase.

You think it runs smooth now? You aint seen nothing. I was happy with the 8800gt, but only because I thought that was as good as lock on would get.

I wonder what the 280 GTX is getting?

Anyone else remember the track that was used for benchmarking? I would be real interested to show the comparison.

...Anyone else remember the track that was used for benchmarking? I would be real interested to show the comparison.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=10778&highlight=benchmark+track

Rich

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Nice to see what postive performance you're having with your 4870 Prophet! :thumbup:

I have an HD3850 512mb card (i know i know, not *quite* in the same class as your uber card lol) i love it :D

BTW what Catalyst driver version are you running? i've recently installed the 8.10 FarCry2 hotfix and its great (8.11's should be out real soon)

• Like 1

Thanks for the link IronHand. Heck based on that the X800 and P4 performed better than my C2D and 8800GT. I never saw frames like that.... odd. Even from XP to Vista32 to Vista64.

Here are the modifications in my graphics.cfg

Precaching

around_camera = 100000;

around_objects = 1000000;

LandLodDistances

LandDay

L01 = 17000;

L12 = 35000;

LandNight

L01 = 17000;

L12 = 35000;

MFD

L01 = 17000;

L12 = 35000;

ObjectFogMultiplier = 1.e-006;

So based on what TDW benchmarked, this may actually be nothing special for everyone else. But dang have I been missing out.

min/max/avg

20/171/73.283

I have my quad clocked to the same speed of 3400Mhz, and Im geting mid 50's on the ground and 80-90 in the air on the same server. This is with everything on high except watter from start. Maybe I could reach the 120 realm with the same original settings as prophets (my terrain LOD exceeds 20000-50000, Im not at home now). me thinks the swap of the cards meant different GFX settings in the background that worked better on LOMAC rather than the GPU itself.

My card is a 9800Gx2, SLI apears to self deactivate on the LOMAc profile now and then, dunno know why but theres hardly a difference anyway.

Edited by Pilotasso
  • Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Yeah I will get some screen shots up.

Yeah the odd thing to me, is based on the charts the TDW has on lockonfiles, the X800 does better than my 8800GT did. Just doesnt seem right. And your experience shows that Pilotasso. I wonder what was messed up. Multiple OS's, multiple LOMAC installs and still the same poor results.

I wont complain now though. I really cant wait to see how BS performs. With the last beta I tested which was before DX9 I had single digits on the ground with the dust kick up.

Isn´t it odd that you need late 2008 equipment to get a game from 2003(!) to run smooth? That just shows how bad Lock On FC is coded. I love the game, but not it´s performance. I have moved to Falcon 4.0 AF because of my old system and fps in F4 AF is at 40-50 average and makes the experience of the sim more enjoyable with smooth fps. I belive I have used more time tweaking Lock On FC than actually playing it...My system is: P4 3.0 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 8600GT. I have around 25 over cities with medium settings. Homever, playing COD 4 multiplayer with around 20-30 people in a server I get around 90 FPS average with medium settings. COD 4 came last year...:P

EDIT: Well....I was tempted to join the dark side (Falcon 4.0 AF lol) but when I saw my fps when using groundradar together with maverick TV guiding my fps over SEOL was as low as 17-18!!

Back to Lock On again! (Don´t care if it´s not clickable cockpits, I want rock solid fps!) I installed the newest NVIDIA drivers, tweaking my Nvidia controlpage settings and BAM!

Now I have around 30FPS over cities with medium scenery, high textures, medium water etc, etc. I have LOREALOD mod and some watertweaksmod. I think my old GPU driver was pretty outdated.

Didn´t thought it would help so much with a new driver as the game is old, but now it´s fun to dogfight again over cities! :) (Avg. 40 fps while dogfighting over cities around 10000 feets.)

Edited by Kaptein_Damli

My moviemaking channel at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertDamli

Are you kidding?! lol I played falcon 4 the first time on my Pentium pro 200 and I thought it would realy fly on that hardware. Oh boy was I wrong. 6 Upgrades later I can still see FPS drops. But then I dont play it no more :D

I do think LOMAC LOD handling is realy screwed up but that has been another major issue in all SIM's that had any degree of sofistication.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Isn´t it odd that you need late 2008 equipment to get a game from 2003(!) to run smooth? That just shows how bad Lock On FC is coded. I love the game, but not it´s performance. I have moved to Falcon 4.0 AF because of my old system and fps in F4 AF is at 40-50 average and makes the experience of the sim more enjoyable with smooth fps. I belive I have used more time tweaking Lock On FC than actually playing it...My system is: P4 3.0 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 8600GT. I have around 25 over cities with medium settings. Homever, playing COD 4 multiplayer with around 20-30 people in a server I get around 90 FPS average with medium settings. COD 4 came last year...:P

I don't think ED has ever officially said as much, but I strongly suspect they were trying to make the sim "future-proof". Bad idea. That NEVER works. We should be glad that it isn't worse. ;)

There's a particular MMO game out there that was released in 2004 that did specifically attempt to be future-proof. The result is that it runs like absolute crap on any modern system, even an ultra-high end one. It wasn't designed with the concept of multi-core processors, it was optimimized for a very fast single core processor. In short, it was made to run on super fast rig using 2004-style processors and components.

If anyone can think of any game/sim that was future-proofed that did not suffer from it, I'd like to know.

LOMAC is all about absolutely vulgar displays of horsepower. Many of the things that make a game like CoD4 uses to make it look good but run smooth are absent from LOMAC. Couple this with the tendency for any sim to be processor-intensive when compared to something like CoD4 and you have a whole 'nuther animal. ;)

Edited by RedTiger

One too many 0's :D

I am going to play with these values and the LOD's more to see what I can get.

I am thinking about dropping the around_objects to a small number when the around_camera is high. With maps that have high unit counts, I wonder how that would help. If you cant see it, why cache around it? And since the around_camera is so high, further than you can see, it makes me wonder if these values would work similar to the F4 bubble?

Edited by =Prophet=

Eh? Where? :D

The Vacant Carpark three streets down from the Hotel.........:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'