Nag-free Hornet

Glide

Better to set it to 10 ft or something, moving the knob all the way to zero will turn off the radar altimeter altogether.

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Rog. Gotta get that warning just before impacting the terrain.
lol. It's more that it's good to have the radalt working, even if you don't use the warning.
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

35 minutes ago, Harker said:
2 hours ago, Habu_69 said:
Rog. Gotta get that warning just before impacting the terrain.

lol. It's more that it's good to have the radalt working, even if you don't use the warning.

The last thing you want is the pilot taking his eyes off the road on approach because of the bells going off, or learning to just ignore the warnings. Too bad you can't put a piece of tape over it. 😄

Edited by Glide
humor

IMO, you should have the warning set to something relevant to the mission or the approach. And since you know where it's set, you don't need to look at the instrument. I agree that if you leave it to a random setting and ignore it, it'll develop into a bad habit.

I don't know, I think even worse to not have the radalt operating altogether, since you can't see radar altitude at all and it cannot be used for backup targeting. If you don't want warnings, just set it to 10 ft, so you don't need to ignore the warning, but you get to use the altimeter data.

• Like 3

-

6 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

Where can you set this?

Do you have to set this every time you fly?

Radar altimeter, using the knob, by your right knee. Just to the right of the wing fold handle and the BuNo plate.

When you start from cold, it's off, so you have to turn it on. When you start from hot, it's already set at 500 ft by default.

-

5 hours ago, Harker said:

Radar altimeter, using the knob, by your right knee. Just to the right of the wing fold handle and the BuNo plate.

When you start from cold, it's off, so you have to turn it on. When you start from hot, it's already set at 500 ft by default.

That would be the ''diiiw diiiw'' warning.

There is also the ''altitude altitude'' on one of the HSI sub pages (maybe A/C?) as well, which is default at 5000ft iirc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

On 9/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, Glide said:

Agreed.  Circuit height, say 1500ft, would be a better setting.  I'll run with that.  Thanks!

Edit: Nope, 10 for the win.  It nags you on the way up with higher values.

Do you realize you can change alt warning during flight? Seting it at 1500 on start up and leaving like that is a nonsense.

For ground operation on take off set it on 200-300 or higher if there is an obstacle in front of the runway.
For CV operation on take off set it on 40 - if you messed up take off set up (or if cold cat, which is not modeled in DCS), if you hear alarm and VVI is not above horizon line you must instantly eject.
During mission this setting doesn't matter unless you conduct low level penetration, then set it to 100-200, depends on how low you will be flying and how low you DON'T want to fly.
For ground operation on landing set it on 500.
For CV on landing set it on 350-400 - this is how low you want to be while entering the groove.

On approach, when you are gear down (and on that altitude you deffinitly should be) the alert will go off once, not continously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

That would be the ''diiiw diiiw'' warning.

There is also the ''altitude altitude'' on one of the HSI sub pages (maybe A/C?) as well, which is default at 5000ft iirc.

You have access to two "Altitude,
Altitude" warnings, a BARO and a RADAR one (max setting is 5,000 ft), accessible from the A/C page.

The BARO is set to 5,000 ft by default and the RADAR is set to 0. The RADAR one will also default to 0 automatically when you land, upon WoW. There's a longstanding issue in DCS though, where it'll continously default to 0 while you're on the ground (it should do so once upon first detecting WoW, not continuously), so it can only be set in the air.

-