May ED/DCS share a preview of TEDAC controls in pdf format similar to what was shared for the Cyclic/Collective?

hannibal

Mister @Wags shared the cyclic and collective..

can the TEDAC info be shared, for those wishing to get a start on a controller profile?

i think the TEDAC will be my next 3d printing project..

On 6/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, Wags said:

Dear all,

I created this today, and I thought it might be interesting/useful for those wishing to get a head start on your controller profiles.

Kind regards,

Matt

AH-64D Block II Cyclic and Collective HOTAS.pdf 402.17 kB · 713 downloads

• Like 2

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

1 hour ago, kgillers3 said:

what info you looking for specifically or are you looking for size and shape? if it's buttons i'd be happy to help you

im looking for what ED plans to implement for controls...

like what will be axis commands and button assignments...

when i build a controller, i plan out what buttons and pots will be included.. 

8 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

What control Surface or do you want them all? as far as what the aircraft has? 

the topic of this post is the TEDAC.

just the TEDAC

looking to make the TEDAC controls

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 1

thanks @kgillers3 and @KeyCat

i saw your post in the other thread with the TEDAC pictures.

but i like official info from ED/DCS..

cant build anything if ED/DCS are not going to have the functions working in game.

also, i am wondering if the grips twist in out, like the Mi24 aiming Station 9M114

just an example, i built a minigun joystick. but it only works in the UH1H.

until the proper implementation is coded into Mi8, Sa342 and in future Mi24, the custom built controller will not function in those helos.

so it would be nice to see whats the control scheme with DCS officially..

sounds good. im in the middle of working on the mi24aiming station. getting the handles to twist, and center is taking a chunk of development and building.

nice to know the TEDAC is just grips with a bunch of buttons and hats.

but i would like to add analog ministicks...

wish i knew how ED is going to make the TEDAC work in game.

analog mini sticks work well moving the cursor in the A10A A10C F18 MFD's

how ever mini stick didnt work well with the Mi24 aiming monocle. maybe i have to try to adjust the cuvre, but it felt unusable.

joysticks have good function.. but not a ministick.. 

Edited by hannibal

41 minutes ago, kgillers3 said:

That's really cool, I don't know about how realistic you want to make it, but the cursor stick on the left TEDAC, it moves around as much as any little joystick on like a vkb gunfighter or the thrustmaster 16000 throttle stick with a z axis for a push. the thumb force controller is same size but it's an actual force sensing stick, it has a little bit of play but doesn't move, just judges how much force you put up against it.  Honestly tho if you throw anything in there it'll work and be awesome. 

If you get it done I think it'd be cool to see a pic of it.

im just going for functional.

i am not going for 1:1 replica.

i like the build to also function for other DCS craft.

but overall i will go for building something that has all the buttons/hats ministicks that both the real TEDAC has and what ED/DCS will have for functions..

im just geting ideas for now. most likely wont start til some kind of beta is out, so i can see the control scheme/assignements in DCS.

Edited by hannibal
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, hannibal said:

in mean time just trying to get ideas

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2971884

i guess i can start designing the TEDAC MFD fame with buttons and encoders for now in tinker cad..

for now.. mi mi24 aiming station is in progress!

Love following your Mi-24 project - good stuff!

Since my 3D modelling skills are lacking I started from the other end with the controller electronics but have not found any suitable 2-way PCB rocker switches.

IMG_20210622_071611.jpg

There are six of them on the TEDAC MFD frame and wonder if you found some suitable PCB mounted rocker switches or if you plan to use the same you use for your Mi-24 aiming station?

Edited by KeyCat

3 hours ago, KeyCat said:

Love following your Mi-24 project - good stuff!

Since my 3D modelling skills are lacking I started from the other end with the controller electronics but have not found any suitable 2-way PCB rocker switches.

IMG_20210622_071611.jpg

There are six of them on the TEDAC MFD frame and wonder if you found some suitable PCB mounted rocker switches or if you plan to use the same you use for your Mi-24 aiming station?

Na..the rockers are big.. I might use the 4 way hat, but design it as a 2 way hat.

Ima do my best to follow the actual tedac using what I have. If it's too hard to go 1:1 I'm not..I'm going for easy and functional 

1 hour ago, hannibal said:

Na..the rockers are big.. I might use the 4 way hat, but design it as a 2 way hat.

Ima do my best to follow the actual tedac using what I have. If it's too hard to go 1:1 I'm not..I'm going for easy and functional 

Keeping things simple always wins! 🙂

After digging arround for small square 4-5" LCD's with HDMI interface I actually think I'm leaning to use a standard 7-10" LCD with capacitive touch buil-in in conjunction with Helios to make the TEDAC frame/buttons/display and then start focus on making the electronics controller (a custom PCB  based on AVR with the MMJoy2 firmware) for the left and right handgrips and somehow mount them on each side of the LCD. The controller will be the easier part, making the L/R handgrip 3D models not so, at least not with my current skills ;(

Seems there are quite a few 7" LCD's avalable for a reasonable price and the one I'm looking at has resolution of 1024x600 pixels and 5-point capacitive touch interface via USB.

https://www.amazon.com/Ingcool-Resolution-Capacitive-Compatible-Raspberry/dp/B08H8HZRLQ

The benefit of going this route would be that it will be cheaper and much more flexible and I can use the touch display with Ka-50 if need be and maybe even to swipe left right to display L/R MFD in the AH-64 as well as being able to display the PDF-manual in game.

Tried Helios many years ago and it's a great software. Saw that sobe started to make a pilot profile that he showed in another thread....

MFDS AND KEYPAD.png

Edited by KeyCat

i avoided helios and dcs-bios due to lua export.

the multiplayer community is small as it is compared to console gaming, and

i hate ending up in a server that has Integrity check and end up not getting to a server.

i dont know if thats the case, but i keep it simple, if it dont have to depend on external apps to run..thats what ill go for.

my tedac will just be a joystick and a small monitor.

i will make physical buttons.

Edited by hannibal

You definitely have a point there, didn't know Helios was affected by IC check.

Regarding the 2-way rocker switches I found a possible solution on Thingiverse by a guy named huzarski. He uses dirt cheap PCB mounted 6x6 mm tactile switches (see HAT_Switches_Man.pdf in the ZIP-file) + some ingenious 3D printed parts to make 2/3/4/5 way switches for HOTAS etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3641494

Only downside I see is that they are quite big as well. Haven't tested it yet but worth doing...

Edited by KeyCat

On 10/4/2021 at 9:35 PM, hannibal said:

i started to cad the MFD frame... bouy, i dont even want to think about the wiring

madness has begun

ttt.jpg

Looks really good! 👍

TinkerCAD isn't that bad as some people think it is. You can model real nice stuff with it and if you also use Meshmixer in conjunction with it, there is a lot what's possible. After some working with both you will be able to do more and more.

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 5:53 PM, KeyCat said:

You definitely have a point there, didn't know Helios was affected by IC check.

Regarding the 2-way rocker switches I found a possible solution on Thingiverse by a guy named huzarski. He uses dirt cheap PCB mounted 6x6 mm tactile switches (see HAT_Switches_Man.pdf in the ZIP-file) + some ingenious 3D printed parts to make 2/3/4/5 way switches for HOTAS etc.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3641494

Only downside I see is that they are quite big as well. Haven't tested it yet but worth doing...

They have nearly the same size as the one used in TM devices (the hole-size is exact the same as the one of the old FLCS). I also use this POV's for my models. Some parts I have slightly modified.

I will use a 12x12mm tactile switch for the push function of the 3way and 5way hats and therefore made another mounting frame for it. I want to be the push function a little more strong to avoid accidentally activating it while using the direction functions.

I also made a hole in the stamp for fitting a steel nail (head cutted off) in the stamp. Printed parts of this size tend to break real fast, but with a steel core inside it should be good.

• Like 1

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

Once startet, it's like a drug 😄

It makes so much fun to be able to make things on your own you never were able to do before all this 3D printing was possible. This is a real game changer in our hobby.

Keep in mind to make the gaps for the buttons a little bit wider cause holes mostly will be printed a little bit smaller as you have modeled them. Thats no problem in  case of normal round holes, because you simply can drill them a bit out, but here you have to sand this part, what really is an annoying work if you use PLA.

I always copy things like such buttons once again, scale them a bit up and use the negative to make the gap.

• Like 2

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

On 10/6/2021 at 9:32 PM, hannibal said:

tinker cad work is going..

ttt.jpg

I think I could design a suitable single piece PCB for your device. Going to resolve lots if wiring headaches.

Let me know if you interested in collaborating on this. So far I have a full size A-10 MFCD that turned our pretty OK  under my belt.

Edited by agrasyuk
  • Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

4 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

I think I could design a suitable single piece PCB for your device. Going to resolve lots if wiring headaches.

Let me know if you interested in collaborating on this. So far I have a full size A-10 MFCD that turned our pretty OK  under my belt.

what buttons do u design your board around?

im using 7mm x 7mm buttons.. which are a lil on the big side...

https://www.amazon.com/IIVVERR-Square-7mmx7mm-Momentary-Button/dp/B07XXSL2J5

what ever you are using could mean a redesign of my design..

im actually printing out stuff now.. i dont know i want to wait to design around a custom board, though it sounds amazing.

im going to be wiring soon.

i appreciate you reaching out.. a collaboration would be nice..

what are your thoughts.