Exiting STT (undesignate) clears Radar Memory

MARLAN_

When exiting STT (Undesignate or RTS), Radar Memory is cleared requiring you to reacquire trackfiles.

Radar should retain memory of trackfiles.

5A5dEcO.gif

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

I thought on the F-16 track files were only collected in TWS?
Good thing this is the F-
18 then and trackfile processing happens all the time.

This is well reported. Even more, MSI processing should not stop between RWS/TWS and STT so any transition should be seamless (and you should be able to select a different MSI trackfile as the L&S, while in STT). Processing should only stop in ACM.
  • Like 6

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

He used AACQ to get the lock, I would expect the radar to operate as depicted.  A normal STT command, should retain any trackfiles until they age out.  And it likely changed from OFP to OFP. I haven't tried it without AACQ, so maybe have a look and see if it still clears it out.

46 minutes ago, Mo410 said:

He used AACQ to get the lock, I would expect the radar to operate as depicted.  A normal STT command, should retain any trackfiles until they age out.  And it likely changed from OFP to OFP. I haven't tried it without AACQ, so maybe have a look and see if it still clears it out.

I think he's talking about the fact the STT target trackfile is dropped upon exiting STT. Is that what you mean or are you talking about something else? Cause I figure the method by which STT is entered doesn't impact whether the track is dropped on return to search.. one niche case I'd think of being with the Gun selected you'd go to Gun Acquisition mode so the track would have to drop.

Watch the video closely, it's confusing cause it's looped, but after exiting STT, the trackfile reverts to a SURV-only trackfile immediately. Thus the radar contribution is immediately dropped by the return to search command, which shouldn't happen under any case, right?

Edited by Jak525

So I would expect any lock out of an auto acq mode, including gun, boresight, or AACQ to immediately dump everything except the track it is try to lock.  Upon exiting STT after entering from an ACM mode, including AACQ, I would not expect to see any track files immediately, but would expect the Link / interrogator tracks to reappear shortly afterwards for link, and after a CIT hit (not in this case though).  Radar tracks would return as the radar processed them.  The looped gif is a bit difficult to interpret.  I'm on the fence if AACQ should behave this way since it is very rarely used at all, it may be a bug - what is shown is how it would work from an ACM mode.

Hey, for all these folks that asked at one time or another: 'how to undesignate w/o having anything else designated'... meaning of course 'how to get rid of all tracks' (I guess they wished to see the scope the way it looked when they entered A/A mode).

Enter STT then undesignate, :biggrin:  

• Like 1

AACQ is not an ACM mode, it is the recommended way to enter STT if you have Radar SA (TDC Depress is not a good way to do it, you should castle/SCS right) you can't even activate AACQ in ACM, you have BST/HACQ/LHACQ/WACQ/VACQ/GACQ in ACM.

Regardless, this bug still occurs even if you TDC Depress on the brick/track.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

G'day ED,

When transitioning from STT to TWS through the push button the track file is lost until TWS "rebuilds" the track file. When employing missiles this causes the shot to be "lost". This is a similar but different bug to the previously reported MSI and TWS bugs. 

Thanks for looking into this bug.

Sav

STT push to TWS.trk

• Like 2

Entering STT and then pressing PB10 (TWS) which was fixed this patch (it broke the B-Sweep to enter TWS AUTO before the patch) still clears radar memory, making it a poor way to enter TWS AUTO.

Radar Memory should not be cleared by exiting STT.

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

@BIGNEWY Attached track.

STT acquired, returned to search, memory lost and takes much time to reacquire target. It is in 6B/140 to show the error (standard sanitization preset anyways) but memory should not be lost when exiting STT, this makes STT PB10 useless.

Track also shows at the end, the STT trackfile is being produced immediately, with a mach of 15000 or something, which may be causing other errors down the chain.

STTbreaksRadarMemory.trk

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

So I would expect any lock out of an auto acq mode, including gun, boresight, or AACQ to immediately dump everything except the track it is try to lock.  Upon exiting STT after entering from an ACM mode, including AACQ.

Well MSI trackfile processing/extrapolation wouldn't stop until after the track MEM limit has been reached right? This would be if the radar was the only contributing sensor.

I mean, it can't just drop everything right? Look at 1Look RAID. Your in a STT but can still see the system trackfiles as they continue to exist. This makes sense as you can have a separate STT, L+S, and DT2 per the docs.

Mobius708

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

DCS 2.7.8.16140 Open Beta

When selecting the TWS option on OSB 10, while in STT, the radar should exit STT and enter TWS AUTO the L&S. It should not drop the L&S at any point.

In DCS, it exits STT, drops the L&S and enters a TWS AUTO scan centered in the middle of the tactical region.

• If the previous L&S is inside these limits and is detected, it will be automatically re-designated as L&S and TWS AUTO will be centered on it.
  • If the previous L&S is not inside these limits, it gets dropped, doesn't get detected again and the pilot needs to manually adjust the radar in order to detect it again and manually designate it.

This is likely caused by the fact that the L&S is dropped upon exiting STT and thus TWS AUTO does not have an L&S initially.

What should happen is a smooth transition from STT to TWS AUTO, where the L&S is not dropped after exiting STT and TWS AUTO starts on it, not at the center of the display.

Track attached.

STT to TWS AUTO not centering on L&S.trk

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

32 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Perhaps related to this?

This is probably either part of the problem or the whole problem, yes.

-