A UK centric DCS map

Bob dimitri

During WW2, there were several convoys from the Atlantic to send supplies to the back then Soviet Union. The Third Reich, from Norway, sent out raids to stop them. It was not that well-known so I understand not much people know about this.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

56 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Did they? I thought it was the Baltic, which would make more sense for the Viggen.

But the GIUK gap would be the perfect map for Cold War gone hot with the F-14 (though both our current F-14s are mid 90s at the earliest, and late 90s-early 2000s with LANTIRN)

That's certainly one way of putting it 😄

Mind you the naval environment as a whole is pretty lacking, and that would probably need to change for such a map, as it is the Cold War naval map.

Same, though the area is more to the south than the GIUK gap, though if we include the RAF airbases in Scotland and the Shetland Islands, then the map would at least reach into the North Sea, but not by much.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151025180109/http://www.leatherneck-sim.com/f14

"The F-14 will ship with a completely new DCS Theatre, perfectly suited for the F-14 and Naval Operations of the era. This new theatre will be available separately as well, and will be a great addition to the current fleet of available DCS Modules."

So they don't mention GIUK specifically but at the time, 2015, it was strongly rumoured that this was likely to be the North Atlantic, GIUK gap or North Sea area. I don't disagree the Baltics would be more appropriate for the Viggen, and could possibly have been the intentions of this very early theatre announcement. As before note that this theatre pledge was dropped shortly after the initial announcements and before pre-orders were taken, so I don't consider HB beholden to this pledge. I wonder if @Cobra847or a member of the team would be willing to shed light on what the plans were at the time, if not no worries 🙂

And yes, I'm aware the GIUK and North Sea are separate areas strictly speaking, regardless the point being I would still love the challenge of carrier operations in these regions.

• Like 3

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

6 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

During WW2, there were several convoys from the Atlantic to send supplies to the back then Soviet Union. The Third Reich, from Norway, sent out raids to stop them. It was not that well-known so I understand not much people know about this.

They're certainly well known in the UK, especially as they took a huge amount of naval resources to defend - it was one of them that baited Scharnhorst out, and keeping Tirpitz tied down also took up a lot of force.

GI-UK gap would I guess not be massively resource intensive to produce. The naval assets you'd need to make any decent amount of missions on it is another matter.

Whoever said the last war over the UK was 1982... the Falklands are not part of the UK, we don't do things like France does 🙂

• Like 3

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

6 minutes ago, Richard Dastardly said:

Whoever said the last war over the UK was 1982... the Falklands are not part of the UK, we don't do things like France does 🙂

Not politically, no, but there are two exceptions: foreign policy and defence. 😉

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Please Please Please Please make Birmingham map only and please simulate catalytic converter thieves, you can add slider in option menu from 0-100% chance to loose it, similar like birds slider. So when they steal it you will not pass mot...  Anyway why not Ireland or Scotland but UK? At least you would have some nice views.

• Like 1

Spadeadam and Otterburn would make a nice Northumbrian mini-NTTR.  Day one buy for me, though I suspect I might be the only one.

That reminds me, I must do another weekend mild-weasel trip to get some photos of the AD sites.  Nothing like doing SEAD at 90kts in an SEP. Ha ha

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

• 4 months later...

The whole UK would be thankless, and pointless…

… but a West Wales map would be excellent.  RAF Valley, Snowdonia, Mach Loop and the Cardigan Bay and Pembrey Ranges 

(remembers disappointment at the former UK developer with lots of UK-centric plans…)

Edited by rkk01